1/48 MkI Blenheim - Completed!

Right, I hesitate to call this a 'problem', as in the crisis we currently face is it obviously anything but that. And even under normal circumstances I don't think it is.

Anyway, my procrastination pickle. What to build next. The completed K5054 has been sat on the shelf for a couple of weeks now. I was going to add some weathering, but I haven't plucked up the courage for fear of spoiling it. It would have to be very subtle on something like this, and I'm a little too heavy handed.

I am now set up working from home, with this humble little stash sat behind me. I am struggling to pick which one to start next, despite much (too much!) thought. My procrastination illness runs quite deep, so that even if I had one kit to choose from, I'd then deliberate over which paint scheme to do.

Top of the checklist that usually holds me back? Usually fears that choice of aircraft exceeds my modelling skills! A love of early flying boats and float planes doesn't help in that department.

So, starting from the bottom, the venerable Walrus. Kit Skill Level ****, my skill level **. And since getting this kit I have found that one crashed locally to me in Dec 1939, less than a mile away. All four crew perised. I'd like to build their aircraft, as a personal homage to them. I have photos of it just prior to the outbreak of war, in silver dope. Would it have recieved camouflage paint by December, a few months later? Probably not. I think using the prewar photo as reference is the best bet.

The wonderful Blenheim, and also in 1/48, my new favoutite scale! An ebay bargain my parents found, under RRP, and inside it was loaded with canopy masks and PE! A top contender, although the kit supplied markings don't do it for me. I have a hankering for either prewar RAF livery with those bright yellow rings around the roundels, or Finnish ...

My nemesis, the Stranraer. I have early memories, under 10 years old, badgering the folks to buy me this in Tescos. It can't have been out long? I loved the box art ... anyway, it was way beyond my blossoming modelling skills and I remember my mother chucking the failed mess in the bin. An expense we couldn't really afford, not that little me knew that. But the memory of it still pains me 40 years later.

MkI Spit. Looking forward to this, but not straight after K5054. Plans to build a 1938 19 Sqn kite.

Supermarine S5 ... Another kit I reckon is a **** skill level! But seriously tempted regardless. Another kit that comes with PE as well. Even though it's 1/48 it's still a small kit.

1/72 Spit and Hurri. After the 1/48 Spit these look teeny tiny too!

Well, if you've got this far thanks for humouring me. I hope you're all doing OK!  Fingers crosse I can make a decision soon and start another build thread here ...

On 3/24/2020 at 9:20 PM, Quiet Mike said:

I push pixels around for a day job, so had the tools to hand to bang these ghost images out. It's good fun, and there is a wealth of material out there locally of Southampton.  I should really do more, damn this procrastination illness!  (Says he who has spent weeks deliberating what kit to make next from a very meagre stash)

On 3/25/2020 at 3:15 AM, greggles.w said:

As you push pixels Mike, so I predominantly vie with vectors (CAD!)

Some might contend that this a core part of the hobby.  Perhaps you should throw the question to the audience? 

49699744833_394140e968_z.jpg

The stash by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 5

Personally I’d go for the Walrus ( I completed a Smer one recently) and the Airfix one should be so much nicer to build, or the Stranraer, but then again I tend to favour the eclectic these days  and much as I love that Spitfire and the Hurricane I’d much rather follow your building the former than the latter:)

hmm doesn’t that make the S 5 the reasonable middle ground :) 

Edited by Marklo

Hi Mike,

first of all let me say that I think you sell youself (and your skills) quite short. Your Spit is top notch and I think you have the necessary skills to tackle any of the listed kits.

Regarding procrastination, well, that's my second name 😆 After 2 weeks working from home I finally decided to show one of my builds here (still in preparation, I keep reviewing the text for the first post...talk about procrastination).

Anyway, I would maybe start the Blenheim. No rigging, modern injected kit that fits together with good level of detail, no short run. So no excuses why you shouldn't be able to build it.

So whatever your decision is, please share your build with us.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Mike,

first of all let me say that I think you sell youself (and your skills) quite short. Your Spit is top notch and I think you have the necessary skills to tackle any of the listed kits.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Marcus. I'm still quite new to the game, and only just realising you need much more than just a steady hand and good eye. Patience and thoroughness are far more valuble skills! Airbrushing a nice layer of paint is useless if you don't have the patience to wait for it to dry 😆 

And it's no secret the only way to improve your skills it to attempt trickier tasks. Rigging still terrifies me though!

1 hour ago, Mattlow said:

May be worth choosing one that you've got all you need to complete it in stock...? Don't want to have to abandon it due to lack of paint or other materials..

Matt

At the moment it's between the Bleneim and the S5, with the Blenheim just ahead.  I don't think anyone's posted a build thread on the S5 yet? I'm not sure I want to be the first!

I don't have the decals I need. I'm assuming Hannants have closed the shop for the lockdown? That won't hold me up though. I imagine the Blenheim will take twice as long as K5054, so 4 months before I need to even think about them!

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

Personally I’d go for the Walrus ( I completed a Smer one recently) and the Airfix one should be so much nicer to build, or the Stranraer, but then again I tend to favour the eclectic these days  and much as I love that Spitfire and the Hurricane I’d much rather follow your building the former than the latter:)

hmm doesn’t that make the S 5 the reasonable middle ground :) 

When I do make the Stranraer Marklo, this thread will be my bible!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

I'm assuming Hannants have closed the shop for the lockdown?

Not yet. 

So it's worth a shot if you want.

Most online stuff is still open. There are posted warnings that delivery times may be subject to change.

Personally although I like Hannants, unless I’m putting through a big order I tend to favour eBay as it is usually cheaper.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Personally, I would build the kit that inspires you the most. The inspiration will, in itself carry you a long way.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

When I do make the Stranraer Marklo, this thread will be my bible!

Aw thanks! For what it's worth, I think you should go for it :)

• Like 1

After building the first Spitfire, what about PS888 - "The Last!" (which carried out the very last RAF Spitfire sortie).

Or simply as Martian suggests, build the kit that inspires you the most.

Nils

On 3/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, Vingtor said:

After building the first Spitfire, what about PS888 - "The Last!" (which carried out the very last RAF Spitfire sortie).

Nils

They'd look good next to each other on the shelf wouldn't they? Great idea! I'll bank that for future reference Nils.

spacer.png

49631412187_6295881af0_w.jpg

K5054 by Mike, on Flickr

A quiet day in isolation. A quick ride around the block for me as I hadn't been out on the bike since Wednesday, and at the moment local cycling is still encouraged as a daily exercise. My usual route is down to Hamble, and around the old aerodrome there, where I pass the lovely little ATA memorial. (And a little up the road is a gate gardian Folland Gnat in Red Arrow colours)

48681294058_db827e6012.jpg

ATA Memorial, Hamble Airfield by Mike, on Flickr

16112711425_821c34fa49.jpg

ATA memorial by Mike, on Flickr

15490408054_3f4bc8f041.jpg

ATA memorial by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike looking forward to this if you build the Blenheim or change your mind , I think you have the skills to pull off any model you choose, just believe in yourself fella. 

All the best

Chris

Taking little steps Chris, little steps! 😆

Started the Blenheim MkIF last night, nothing to show as yet but very enjoyable so far. I'm looking at the interior PE set, and really doubting any of this is actually worthwhile including? Being a relative newbie, I'm still coming to terms with how detailed new tooled airfix kits are over the old 70's Matchbox I grew up with!

Also, I think I am bulding the MkI, not the MkIF, so this build will not have the belly gun pack. Then much deliberation about having the bomb bay doors open or cloesed ... I decided the Blenheim has such clean lines that closed would look better.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Taking little steps Chris, little steps! 😆

Started the Blenheim MkIF last night, nothing to show as yet but very enjoyable so far. I'm looking at the interior PE set, and really doubting any of this is actually worthwhile including? Being a relative newbie, I'm still coming to terms with how detailed new tooled airfix kits are over the old 70's Matchbox I grew up with!

Also, I think I am bulding the MkI, not the MkIF, so this build will not have the belly gun pack. Then much deliberation about having the bomb bay doors open or cloesed ... I decided the Blenheim has such clean lines that closed would look better.

I just added a ton of pe into an airfix 1/72 109 and came to same conclusion given a set of levers on the lower panel cannot be seen anyway....,..good luck on the build

Right, a belated progress report. I have been very busy working from home this week, on an important (for my company at least) job with a deadline, that hasn't gone to plan and has lead to several late nights. Working from home hasn't been the usual 9-6 for me, and I seem to find my myself still trying to work out problems long gone midnight. I hope this doesn't come accross as a whine, it's not. I don't often have stress at work, and this is utterly insignificant in the current crisis we all face. Anyway, 'Furlough' is just around the corner for me, and I look forward to being a slightly poorer but time rich modeller for a little while.

A tentative start has been made on this lovely kit. My usual demons have surfaced though and I find myself unable to decide what path to take with the detailing of the interior. I am a 'PE' virgin, and still usure of the benefits of straying too far from the path of 'OOTB'.  I stare at the sheet, and marvel that they can make such little jewels of detail, most only visible under magification. My heart tells me to stick to what I know, but my head is saying while we have the PE, it would be a waste not to use it. I'm still undecided!

Anyway, I feel a bit 'all mouth, no trousers', as I have posted several photos, that show very little of what most people call progress! Hopefully that will change next week, and this post hasn't disappointed you too much.

I shall put more paint on, and dry fit as much as possible to I can see for myself how much of the interior is visible.

One this I have noticed is lots of circles on the inside, are these injection marks? What do most folks do about them?

49729350932_d3994e570d.jpg

Starting the Blenheim by Mike, on Flickr

49728486318_63290ef6fc.jpg

49728485763_731ce00393.jpg

49729350017_d32c00869b.jpg

Instrument panel options by Mike, on Flickr

49729033556_eb73c6f960.jpg

49728486673_76a4eda6dc.jpg

A lot to trim off! by Mike, on Flickr

49729350637_81a6b44c99.jpg

Office seat by Mike, on Flickr

49729034486_8d77889575.jpg

Wondering how good the transfers would look by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to snatch a bit of time on this over the week. A coat of homemade Eau du Nil has gone on, as I didn't have an interior green to hand, and I had a go at dry brushing Tamiya sky over the top to pop the highlights a little. I should really thank the member on here who mentioned that tip on their own Blenheim thread I looked through, but I forgot to bookmark it.
I did try to remove some of the more focal injection marks by some tentative scraping with a curved scalpel blade, but it really wasn't worth the effort, and looked better before.

I decided to use the PE instrument panels, even though it pained me to remove all the mouded detail on the kit part. It does look amazing, but I'm not sure it's something I'll go out of my way to do on future kits.

49789629832_df79d9aa69_z.jpg

Blenheim progress - interior by Mike, on Flickr

49788772783_2ded3063a1_z.jpg

Black primer on the radios and vandalised instrument panel.

49789630062_4bcd1bf85e_z.jpg

Some splashes of colour. I didn't bother with the PE throttles and levers. And I liberally drybrushed the lighter sky colour after I'd painted the seat covers and instruments. I should have done this he other way around. Another lesson learned!

49789630382_93845f5b80_z.jpg

The interior waiting for it's coat of gloss varnish

49788773398_92bebac66d_z.jpg

And the satisfying job of adding varnish! The crocodile clips were a pre covid19 purchase, and I stuck them on cut down and sharpened wooden scewers. I thought ten would be plenty, but I could use ten more! Invaluable!

49788774223_509b37bddb_z.jpg

49789315841_5d39145975_z.jpg

So, I'm looking forward to adding a dark wash next onto the gloss varnish. I've not had much success with this so far, which is frustrating when others make it look so easy? I'll use the pledge floor polish method I think. Wish me luck.

And while I'm waiting for the varnish to dry properly, I'm going to make masks for the canopy. I already have the exterior set which came with this second hand kit, but I think I need to paint the interior of the canopy too.

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 6

Also, I'm making the MkI version, not the fighter varient. The kit seems to come with all the parts to do this, but not any instructions. I've already noticed the MkI canopy section has one of the bottom panels incorrectly frosted out, where it should actually be clear. I'm wondering if I can polish this out without losing any of the detail.

• Like 1

Hi Mike, great progress fella. I hope you got the work issue sorted. I am working from home and often get sucked into staying late , oh I'll just do this and ..... Before you know it a couple of hours have gone by !!! Still the fuel savings are amazing a couple of hundred pounds a month which I, unfortunately am not allowed to spend on Kits!!! Although SWMBO has been Furloughed so it is making up for some of her lost wages.  

The ejector pin marks on the inside can be filled with a fine filler such as PPP (Perfect Plastic Putty) or liquid paper. The beauty of PPP allows a quick wipe off with a wet finger to smooth off and save a lot of rubbing down.

I love to use the PE sets but don't always use it all as some is just too fiddly and may be more of a pain.

With regard the painted window, I brush paint my models and so don't mask canopies and when I get paint on the glass I use a cocktail stick to rub away the dried paint (if you do it too early it smears it around) and work not too hard as in pressure as you will scratch the canopy, but give that a try , you will be amazed at how much the glazing can put up with, but please be careful, and try a small bit first.

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

All the best

Chris

Ooooooooo PS, I got the Fastie started last week, ironic really as I can't use it. However, the rest offside brake was stuck on a bit do after some gentle taps with a hammer on the edge of the drum the break eased off do had to take on a quick test drive to free off completely and it worked.  I never leave it in the garage with the handbrake on but leaving all winter has not helped. It was great to get behind the wheel.

The amount of smiles per gallon is priceless!!!

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike, great progress fella. I hope you got the work issue sorted. I am working from home and often get sucked into staying late , oh I'll just do this and ..... Before you know it a couple of hours have gone by !!! Still the fuel savings are amazing a couple of hundred pounds a month which I, unfortunately am not allowed to spend on Kits!!! Although SWMBO has been Furloughed so it is making up for some of her lost wages.  

The ejector pin marks on the inside can be filled with a fine filler such as PPP (Perfect Plastic Putty) or liquid paper. The beauty of PPP allows a quick wipe off with a wet finger to smooth off and save a lot of rubbing down.

I love to use the PE sets but don't always use it all as some is just too fiddly and may be more of a pain.

With regard the painted window, I brush paint my models and so don't mask canopies and when I get paint on the glass I use a cocktail stick to rub away the dried paint (if you do it too early it smears it around) and work not too hard as in pressure as you will scratch the canopy, but give that a try , you will be amazed at how much the glazing can put up with, but please be careful, and try a small bit first.

Keep up the good work and stay safe.

All the best

Chris

Ooooooooo PS, I got the Fastie started last week, ironic really as I can't use it. However, the rest offside brake was stuck on a bit do after some gentle taps with a hammer on the edge of the drum the break eased off do had to take on a quick test drive to free off completely and it worked.  I never leave it in the garage with the handbrake on but leaving all winter has not helped. It was great to get behind the wheel.

The amount of smiles per gallon is priceless!!!

Work sounds familiar! A few of our small team have been furloughed, the ones left holding the fort on a reduced four day week. But working from home is very strange, and I was stuggling to properly switch off, and often still working on bits and bobs past midnight, often with youtube or the iplayer on in the background. I doubt I was being any more productive, but I was dipping in and out of jobs all day and evening.

I spent last night putting the Eduard canopy masks on, which was trickier than I thought, but still satisfying. Maybe I'll use the hairy stick method for the insides of the canopy? And I added a bit of the PE to the sides of the interior too. I'll fire the camera up later. Also, I wasn't happy with the painting instructions for the parachute pack behind the pilot, and after googling them, I realised I'd done it wrong, and repainted that.

At the moment I'm thinking I should really put a few miles on the bike. Cycling has been on the back burner of late, especially with the foster dog taking up my outside exercise time with his walks! He jumped in the Kombi yesterday when we dragged it out of the garage. I'm not sure what he thought of it, but a anxious 5 stone American Bulldog wanting to sit on your lap in the cab isn't fun for the driver! Anyway, that's as far as the VW has moved for weeks! I drove it a month ago to collect a bike box from a local bike shop, and the front brakes started binding on the way home, and seized solid in the garage. No idea why, but definitely agree that old VWs need to be driven regularly!

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 2

A few shots of the mostly done cockpit. After a gloss varnish I added a dark wash to try and make the details pop a bit more. I mixed some Pledge floor polish with a little black and brown acrylic paint, which worked OK, but not as well as I'd hoped. I think I need to work on perfecting my mix, and what colours to add.

In the end I added about half of the Eduard photo etch, but didn't bother with the throttle levers or trim wheels. First time using their seat belts too. What do people do to break them down and make them less brand spanking new looking? I put loads of that wash I'd made on them, then a matt varnish.

Fitting the cockpit together went well, but it needed a little manipulating hence a few highspots showing some plastic through the paint. Not a big deal and hopefully I'll remember to touch them up before I close the fuselage up.

I painted the parachute pack as Airfix instructed, but wasn't happy with how it looked. I did what I should have done before I painted it and did some research. Not a big deal but I'm much happier with it now.

49818126793_2765dfb3d8_z.jpg

Blenheim cockpit progress by Mike, on Flickr

49818662816_302606958a_z.jpg

49818127118_d0af417efa_z.jpg

49818974667_fbef03e448_b.jpg

49818974477_c3caae4f84_z.jpg

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 12

That's looking good, Mike. That is plenty of detail and busyness in the cockpit. 

Love that memorial on the roadside at Hamble! 

I'd thought about foiling a Spitfire all over, and making a replica of the sculpture. All the simplicity of line would look stylish! 

Pleased to see you've got the S5. I got mine from the Ukraine. First time I've shopped international like that. 

It's definitely a contender as my favourite plane of all time! 

Not sure if it's my favourite model kit though. Might set about it fairly soon. 

Anyway, carry on with this, when you get a chance 👍

• Like 2