1/48 MkI Blenheim - Completed!

The Sunderlands were indeed painted in RAF camouflage schemes, but apparently not that particular one.  It has proven a little confusing as some people have stated that they were, but the official instructions and the available colour photos show them in the maritime scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey.

• Like 1

Mike, if you're going for a build thread for the Blenheim through to completion here, you can change the thread title and the tags if you want. 

I found out that you can go to your first post, and click on the Edit feature. 

Once you're in that mode you can edit the titles and save. 

I had an old wartime propaganda RAF book in a similar style to these. They are strange publications to read through. So optimistic about the state of preparation and abilities! 

There was one little trainer plane that caught my eye and I've never seen any other references to it. 

It was called the Owlet. An open cockpits 2 seater with what looked like a Gipsey style engine and tricycle undercarriage. 

I think the plan was for training for the P38 Lockheed Lightening, but the RAF dropped the Alinson engined planes on offer. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:47 AM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Yes they have a certain quality. Let me try and find the book in the house amongst the books.. kits.. cats and other thing lol. Loved your bike too. I do a bit of cycling .. Audax, Sportives and I did C2C also.!

If you click back through my flickr albums you'll find a few of my cycling adventures in there Tim, nothing as strenuous as a Sportive though! I'm much more on the recreational side 😆

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Mike, if you're going for a build thread for the Blenheim through to completion here, you can change the thread title and the tags if you want. 

I found out that you can go to your first post, and click on the Edit feature. 

Once you're in that mode you can edit the titles and save.

Yes, I've changed the name a couple of times already! I should keep on top of it more, sorry for making the place untidy 😉

For all its flag waving jingoism, I do love flicking through all the optimistic prewar and wartime literature. If I had to stick to one specific theme for modelling, I'd be happy recreating the 1938 Wills fag card set 🙂

Well, the undercrackers of the Blenheim are a build on their own! I had one slip up early on, when I got one of the important early parts of the framework in the wrong way round. I discovered this after I'd completed it of course, and sat back to admire my handiwork, feeling smug. It had to all come apart again, and didn't go together quite as cleanly as before, but I think I got away with it. Again, the Airfix colour instructions don't go into much detail, but researching is part and parcel of the build process.
(The info graphics side of my brain itches when I see just a number as a colour reference, but no key to say what that colour actually is? You have to do that bit yourself? The assembly part of the instructions is excellent, so this annoys me. I write down notes next to the numbers - Satin Black, Aluminium, Silver, Matt Black ... )

50052056367_1d30f431ef_z.jpg

Blenheim undercarriage assembly by Mike, on Flickr

50051811076_ed1f2e83ab_z.jpg

50052057407_8c5e4cba34_z.jpg

50051809861_8e555100d7_z.jpg

• Like 5

OK. I thought you had started off with an enquiry about sticking transparencies and then just carried on! 

Sonofagun, that's some pretty elaborate undercarriage assembly, and nicely done. 

I'm with you on the number or letter type of annotated colours. Maybe they think it keeps the diagrams tidy but I resort to scribbled notes all over their tidiness too. 

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well fella, canopy looking good and U/C coming well, they do look fantastic.  Managed to get the Fastie out today and bought some modelling materials from a local shop(railway modelling bits) as my birthday treat also got an oo gauge locomotive kit of a Stirling 01, so am very pleased. No Aircraft though.

Keep up the good work

Chris

On 6/28/2020 at 12:20 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well fella, canopy looking good and U/C coming well, they do look fantastic.  Managed to get the Fastie out today and bought some modelling materials from a local shop(railway modelling bits) as my birthday treat also got an oo gauge locomotive kit of a Stirling 01, so am very pleased. No Aircraft though.

Keep up the good work

Chris

Glad the Fastie got some wind in its sails Chris. I dragged the kombi out fo the shed last week when it was tarmac melting hot, and slept in it with the doors wide open. Done a few road trips in it during heatwaves and it's not much fun, you don't get much air in through the slide windows! Luckily the quarter lights let a bit of air in, but if you stop in traffic you melt 🥵
And belated happy birthday!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Glad the Fastie got some wind in its sails Chris. I dragged the kombi out fo the shed last week when it was tarmac melting hot, and slept in it with the doors wide open. Done a few road trips in it during heatwaves and it's not much fun, you don't get much air in through the slide windows! Luckily the quarter lights let a bit of air in, but if you stop in traffic you melt 🥵
And belated happy birthday!

Thanks Mike, oh man I miss sleeping in my old bus, I found it so comfy, it was so cool getting to a car show setting the bed up, getting the Bbq ready and cracking open a cold one before taking in the sites and traders.  I bet it was great to get some kip in there.   

We couldn't leave the house really in the really hot days due to all the tourists, it was completely mad here and cars were parked everywhere, blocking entrances , opposite one another on narrow roads etc.  

I used to love the bay in the heat as it has the large fresh air vent under the windscreen and over 40 mph it was like air con.  If it wasn't so windy I would have hot the trailer tent out and had a night in that, will try that in August when on A/L.

Stay safe fella

All the best

Chris

On 3/29/2020 at 4:22 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I like doing things in sequential order, so why not build K5055! 
Cheers.. Dave (who seriously thinks the Blenheim is a good choice!). 

To satisfy curiosity, K5055 was a DH Queen Bee (the remote-control variation on the Tiger Moth).

On 6/27/2020 at 5:18 PM, rob Lyttle said:

There was one little trainer plane that caught my eye and I've never seen any other references to it. 

It was called the Owlet. An open cockpits 2 seater with what looked like a Gipsey style engine and tricycle undercarriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Aircraft_Owlet

The Blenheim is looking good so far.  I've got one Airfix and various Classic Airframes, but haven't yet worked up the courage to begin!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

We couldn't leave the house really in the really hot days due to all the tourists, it was completely mad here and cars were parked everywhere, blocking entrances , opposite one another on narrow roads etc. 

Ah, I've just worked out where Greatstone is! Yes, I can see that being a problem. I helped a pal out on Wednesday who was doing a drone shoot of a building site in West Wittering. (a spare pair of eyes) It was a crazy there, like sunny Bank Holiday busy. Not an inch of spare space on any of the pavement or verges anywhere for miles from the beach, the grockles had invaded like swarm of locusts. And the rubbish they left behind ... What is wrong with people when they get in large groups? (I don't know, maybe they are just as stupid and ignorant in isolation 🙄)

Last big trip we did in the bus was a couple of years ago already. We headed out to the Pembrokeshire Coast, with no plan! The first site we got to had exceeded its camping allocation and was shut, (It was just a field) so we found an old disused RAF missile base and pitched up on one of the hardstandings. That was such a great little trip, we just moved on each day after getting recommendations from other wild campers!
We're itching to to get out again now and see how the new rescue mutt takes to life on the open road. 

Wild Camping around the Pembrokeshire coast

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Ah, I've just worked out where Greatstone is! Yes, I can see that being a problem. I helped a pal out on Wednesday who was doing a drone shoot of a building site in West Wittering. (a spare pair of eyes) It was a crazy there, like sunny Bank Holiday busy. Not an inch of spare space on any of the pavement or verges anywhere for miles from the beach, the grockles had invaded like swarm of locusts. And the rubbish they left behind ... What is wrong with people when they get in large groups? (I don't know, maybe they are just as stupid and ignorant in isolation 🙄)

Last big trip we did in the bus was a couple of years ago already. We headed out to the Pembrokeshire Coast, with no plan! The first site we got to had exceeded its camping allocation and was shut, (It was just a field) so we found an old disused RAF missile base and pitched up on one of the hardstandings. That was such a great little trip, we just moved on each day after getting recommendations from other wild campers!
We're itching to to get out again now and see how the new rescue mutt takes to life on the open road. 

Wild Camping around the Pembrokeshire coast

Hi Mike

Yes it was mad, the place was so packed some of the lifeboat crew couldn't get to the station for a shout. The idiots were using the lifeboat station and people's gardens and garages as toilets!  They were parking in people's driveways, a friend found two cars on his drive so blocked them in and when they came to go home he went out for a long walk with his dog!!! It was very annoying.

Sounds like you had a good trip in the bus and I like the photo from behind the wheel it is always such a nice view behind the wheel, mine makes me smile.

Take care and stay safe.

All the best

Chris

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

To satisfy curiosity, K5055 was a DH Queen Bee (the remote-control variation on the Tiger Moth).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Aircraft_Owlet

The Blenheim is looking good so far.  I've got one Airfix and various Classic Airframes, but haven't yet worked up the courage to begin!

Thanks Bob, good luck with your Blenheims!

And Airfix do a Moth in 1/48? Tempting ... But I seem to remember Matchbox did a big Tiger Moth back in the day? I never made that kit but fancy it now. (I made the 109, the Dauntless, and the Spit in the early 80s and thoroughly enjoyed them)

On 6/28/2020 at 12:42 AM, dogsbody said:

I have this printed out and pinned to the wall above my table, so I can quickly reference any Humbrol number to a colour.

Chris

Good idea Chris, I have a similar chart on my computer here in the modelling den, but pinning this on the noticeboard would work better.

• Like 1

A few quick phone pics of progress on the wings, which are nearly all together. I didn't realise until they were assembled that one wingtip is what I think you call 'short shot'? I read about this occasionally on new Airfix products, (The Sea Fury springs to mind) and it's frustrating. Hopefully a little bit of filler will fix the problem but if there is a better fix let me know.

Another issue I had was my rather slap dash way of mixing my own Eau de Nil. Of course I underestimated and didn't make enough, or make a note of the quantities of paints I used. The third batch I used for the inside of the flaps looked good, but was way more yellow than the first batch I used for the cockpit! Well, I guess you don't see the flaps and the cockpit at the same time ...

50063439152_c61a71db59_z.jpg

Wing assembly in the MkI Blenheim by Mike, on Flickr

50063181771_58e3b68be5_z.jpg

50062623808_9024c9c978_z.jpg

50063438842_86aab44c3e_z.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Mike, cracking work fella, looking good and coming together well now, shame about the wing being short.  You could use filler or some plastic card to build up and a great filler is Cyano glue with talcum powder added.  The more you add the thicker it is but the good thing is it is easy to sand to shape and scribes really well.  I saw it on Bassilisks Seahawk to thread and use it a lot now, just practice on something other than your beautiful model first!!!

You mentioned the Matchbox Tiger moth , I have picked up my stalled one recently and will pick up my thread when there is a worthy update.  But it is a great kit, if you're wanting an accurate one there are quite a few bits to alter, but it builds nicely .  

Keep up the good work

Chris

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike, cracking work fella, looking good and coming together well now, shame about the wing being short.  You could use filler or some plastic card to build up and a great filler is Cyano glue with talcum powder added.  The more you add the thicker it is but the good thing is it is easy to sand to shape and scribes really well.  I saw it on Bassilisks Seahawk to thread and use it a lot now, just practice on something other than your beautiful model first!!!

You mentioned the Matchbox Tiger moth , I have picked up my stalled one recently and will pick up my thread when there is a worthy update.  But it is a great kit, if you're wanting an accurate one there are quite a few bits to alter, but it builds nicely .  

Keep up the good work

Chris

Cheers Chris, I used the glue and talc trick on the wing fillets, which had a few gaps too!

50075586862_ea57b0e204_z.jpg

Main parts assembled and ready for primer by Mike, on Flickr

All ready for primer, bar some masking of the undercarriage and flaps.

50074763488_3d0c581d51_z.jpg

50075587502_29acfc88c8_z.jpg

• Like 4

First coat of primer on. It's dry now so time to look over and check for ugly gaps and blemishes.

50076073648_7ff0c785e6_z.jpg

First coat of primer by Mike, on Flickr

By the way, any good tips for painting metallics? I've got the engines and exhausts to paint next. I've only got a few ancient enamels, and the Airfix starter kit pots of silver. A facebook pal recently did a great job on his 1/32 Gladiator, using Alcald II Pale Burnt Metal on top of silver, then building up with Alclad II burnt manifold and an exhaust mix of Tamyia XF1 and XF9. (I don't think he's on here. those who frequent the badlands of facebook can see it here - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10156924896246207&set=pcb.10156924899861207 )

21003240715_25e37d61e1_z.jpg

Bristol Blenheim Mk 1F's, Singapore 1941 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

2019 09 07 Deurne L6739 Bristol Blenheim_DVL8316

Bristol Blenheim I ‘L6739 / YP-Q’ (G-BPIV)

• Like 2

Whatever you do, please DO NOT paint the collectors bright shiny copper or bronze! Something close to the photos you posted would be great.

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Just discovered AC Models is open again, limited hours, so will make a trip this week for some metallic paints, probably Tamiya.

https://acmodelseastleigh.co.uk/

It must be nice to be so close to a hobby shop. I'm 450km. ( 300 miles ) north of the closest shop. 😪

Chris

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:04 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Does anyone have any idea if Sunderland Flying Boats were painted up in standard RAF Cammo schemes during WW2? Or did the Artist who did the colour plate just exercised some artistic licence? 

This build thread may interest you!

• Like 1

Damn, a 7.5 mile bike ride in the rain to find I hadn't studied AC Models new reduced opening times thoroughly enough! Tuesday AND Friday, not Tuesday to Friday ...

50090528328_1de796470a_z.jpg

Model shop trip to buy paints fail by Mike, on Flickr

But stopped off en route to check out the Mercedes Spitfire, which is looking quite sorry for itself now, with a bashed spinner as well as several years of grime.

50091343762_d427210fc6.jpg

The Eastleigh Mercedes K5054 Spitfire 2020 by Mike, on Flickr

50091107896_96e8e42a62_z.jpg

The Eastleigh Mercedes K5054 Spitfire 2020 by Mike, on Flickr

And the workbench ... Engines are progressing. I forgot to paint the yellow tips on the propellers first, and mask, before the black. I've just painted them white here prior to some yellow. Looking back through the reference loads of prewar propellers look like they don't have the yellow tips, but I think this may be down to the yellow not showing on some b/w photos. And the splash of colour pleases me anyway.

Also, I've just read that the top hatch of the canopy is oncorrect, and shouldn't have a glazing bar, but as it's in primer now I can live with it I think.

I ignored the Airfix paint instructions again, which I'm finding are either oversimplified or incorrect. There are plenty of pictures of Bristol Mercuries about. Mainly satin black, with aluminium cylinders. I've noticed that some bracing bars can be added too, and I'm just going stretch some spru for that now ...

50091108951_0188c468d3_z.jpg

Blenheim workbench - engines by Mike, on Flickr

50090529213_0426882b33_z.jpg

Blenheim workbench - engines by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 5