1/48 MkI Blenheim - Completed!

Thanks Rob, appreciate it. I'm really enjoying this build, and as always, a learning curve!

There is a chap on facebook documenting his build the S5 kit, he doesn't shower it with praise! It makes me rather nervous of attempting to build it! I think there are one, maybe two, build threads on here as well I am watching. It looks to be a challenging project.

Yes, the ATA Spit is lovely. And on a jaunt a couple of days ago I went exploring as I'd heard there is a memorial stone. I followed my nose and luckily found it! The loop around Hamble is now my regular exersice if I don't have to walk the foster mutt. There is so much aviation history just in this small parish. Last week I detoured to Hamble church, and found the grave of AV Roe, 'First Englishman to Fly'. His two sons who were KIA in the RAF during the war are also remembered on the family plot. (No photos of that though)

49819588442_a3b39d9ca9_b.jpg

New rubber for the BD by Mike, on Flickr

(The bicycle is an early French/Belgian racer, early 20's. Badged to a small Belgian company who also made sewing machines. I rode it 300 miles across France last year and it crippled me!)

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 6

Great work on the cockpit Mike, I like your effects of the wash on the belts and the parachute pack too.  As Rob said it certainly does look suitably busy in there.

Great looking bike too fella.

Interesting area you live in, I have a small airport behind me and have always been fascinated with the aircraft coming in and out.  Best times were late 70s into early 80s, with the DC3s, Bristol Superfreighters, Viscounts and Heralds, they almost flew over the corner of our school field and we were often stood in the corner at lunch watching them coming into land. Great memories and sounds.

Keep up the good work fella

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I am ready to glue the canopy parts on!  Now, I am still old school, and used to do this with poly cement and not care a jot when I was a nipper. Older and wiser, and this thought brings me out in a cold sweat. What are my options? I've heard PVA is very safe, but is it strong enough? What else is out there? Is the Humbrol Clearfix good for this?  I think the cockpit area on my build is very slightly out of true, so needs something fairly strong to help pull it all back together. Many thanks!

• Like 1

Hmmmm tricky isn't it?! 

There's all kinds of stuff gets mentioned on build threads, watchmakers crystal cement, uv activated resin, "crystal clear" and I expect the humbrol stuff is fine too. 

I haven't got any of them yet. 

Pva is very harmless, but yes not too strong. 

Cyano is OUT, the fumes fog the plastic. *although some say that the Pledge kleer treatment inside and out of the transparencies prevent this fogging *

Must admit I often use poly cement and go carefully. Apply with a cocktail stick to the non-clear surface, sort out any blobs, then ease the transparency on. 

Nervous times though 😯

Edited by rob Lyttle
Clarity

I use Humbrol Clearfix which I prefer over PVA as it can be brushed on or applied with a cocktail stick precisely along the edge of the canopy or along the cockpit area where the canopy is going to be fitted. It dries quite firmly and will not fog or leave much of a residue. I find that PVA can start to go rubbery very quickly before you're ready and also any gaps can have a rubbery edge which is difficult to get smooth again. Just my experience. 

Edited by binbrook87

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hmmmm tricky isn't it?! 

There's all kinds of stuff gets mentioned on build threads, watchmakers crystal cement, uv activated resin, "crystal clear" and I expect the humbrol stuff is fine too. 

I haven't got any of them yet. 

Pva is very harmless, but yes not too strong. 

Cyano is OUT, the fumes fog the plastic. *although some say that the Pledge kleer treatment inside and out of the transparencies prevent this fogging *

Must admit I often use poly cement and go carefully. Apply with a cocktail stick to the non-clear surface, sort out any blobs, then ease the transparency on. 

Nervous times though 😯

Low odour Cyano, as its the fumes that causes the fogging 

I do use PVA mostly. If you use a cotton bud (slightly moistened with water, if required), you can smooth it to whatever shape you like. A wet cotton bud will even work after it's set, if you put enough water on it (PVA is water-based). I have used CA before but only on tricky bits which need to be held in place and only after a thorough dipping in Future first. Future on its own also works as an adhesive but I tend to do that only for instrument panels and similar as it's not that strong.

If you can get some, non-fogging superglue works well.  Thats what I used on mine -

HxMQjbi.jpg

It does not stick as quickly as normal superglue (except to your fingers)  but quick enough so that it does not slide out of place. 

Tim

• Like 1

I always use CA - pre-coating with Future/Kleer/Revive does work ,,, I've not had a fogging issue, even with the generic cheapo stuff from Wilko.

The advantages are probably the quickest stronge join you can get as well as the fact it dries hard and can be sanded ... great for filling any gaps. 

The disadvantage is mistakes are harder to correct, unlike PVA which can easily be worked free and cleaned up.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, binbrook87 said:

I use Humbrol Clearfix 

I second that. Others use vinyl glue though I don't know where you can find it.

Edited by Shalako
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike, how are you fella, hope you are well. Did you get your canopy on okay.  I use Rocket odourless  cyano glue it's good stuff and does not cause fogging, although it is a bit expensive.  

Worth a look though.  

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Just came across this. I do like a good cockpit and that is a stunner! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

...and I'd have to describe your stash as "small but perfectly formed". Good choices and coherent themes. Not like mine at all...!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice chaps, sorry for going AWOL! I am struggling to get motivated at the moment, flitting between a few projects. And of course I have a hang up about modelling in fine weather, I feel like I should be outside ... (off topic, but the curious can follow my flickr account)

I did purchase a pot of Contacta Clear, which was good, but my canopy needed about three hands to hold it in place while it set, and I couldn't make any elastic bands or clamps do the job. It kept coming unstuck. It was frustrating but I think I need to sand the canopy in a couple of places to make it fit better, and not need so much persuasion to hold it in place. There is always the fear it could unstick! But I am definitely going to add some odourless CA to my armoury as well. Cheers for the Rokit recommendations!

So, nothing to show I'm afraid, as only half a canopy is on so far.

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just came across this. I do like a good cockpit and that is a stunner! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

...and I'd have to describe your stash as "small but perfectly formed". Good choices and coherent themes. Not like mine at all...!

Regards,

Adrian

Ah, I could quite easily spiral into being a kit hoarder instead of a builder! Having more hobbies than I can afford keeps my feet on the ground though ...

Thanks Adrian. I've actually got fed up with seeing the kit on my bench, looking accusingly at me all the time. I've hidden it in the box for now 😳

• Sad 1

Birthday treats last week. I've been itching to have a look at the Haynes S6B book since Moa recommended it on his recent Supermarine Sea Lion III build.

50012932933_d9791b238e_z.jpg

Happy Birthday me by Mike, on Flickr

The kit was unexpected, but an inspired call by my better half, who knows I'm a massive space race fan. Chasing the Moon is just ending it's run on the iplayer, I'm just re-watching it before it goes, excellent series!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m0006vr4/chasing-the-moon

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 2

It's not that pretty, but it is on, sort of! I really hope it holds, and I really hope I haven't got glue anywhere I shouldn't have! I'll have to wait until the masks come off ... (That could be months at my current pace)

There is a wafer thin gap down the middle of the front, that I've filled with Contacta Clear. I'm hoping I can sand any lumps and bumps back OK.

50022695898_c1789a0402_z.jpg

Canopy on, just ... by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 4

Well, I've got my modelling mojo back! Felt really good firing the compressor up and laying down some paint again. There was me saying I don't like modelling when the weather is fine, turns out it can be too fine actually. So hot I was glad to come inside, and the extractor outlet blows a nice breeze on my feet. I've not done anything photogenic I'm afraid, just made a start on the undercarriage, which is a kit in itself. It made a pleasant change from the other project in the garage, stripping the kitchen door back to pine with a heat gun. (Not one of my best ideas in a heatwave)
The black bits should be satin, which I don't have. I was just going to varnish?

And the aluminium parts are painted using one of the starter pots, heavily thinned and with some flow improver, which hasn't turned out as rubbish as I thought.

50044464278_2959307d60_z.jpg

MkI Blenheim undercarriage by Mike, on Flickr

50044464903_912030e736_z.jpg

MkI Blenheim undercarriage by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 6

Hi Mike. I love the Blenheim. Looks lovely. I had a similar dilemma with a He111 recently. In the end I used poly and didn't make too much of a mess of it, though not perfect.

I have a book which has some lovely colour plates including a Blenheim from 1940 think it's called The First Year of the War. It's a sort of Phoney War tub thumping book which shows the RAF inventory in all its glory..

. It looks like the same artist did these pics as did some of the Wills cigarette cards! If I can find the book I may post a few pics for your enjoyment! 

i used PVA glue for my next build a Tamiya Beaufighter MkX and so far the canopy is still stuck on and the pva glue I smoothed over with a cotton bud dampened with water. I then touched it up with acrylics and I must say it does look very neat and no glue anywhere it shouldn't be. 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Hi Mike. I love the Blenheim. Looks lovely. I had a similar dilemma with a He111 recently. In the end I used poly and didn't make too much of a mess of it, though not perfect.

I have a book which has some lovely colour plates including a Blenheim from 1940 think it's called The First Year of the War. It's a sort of Phoney War tub thumping book which shows the RAF inventory in all its glory..

. It looks like the same artist did these pics as did some of the Wills cigarette cards! If I can find the book I may post a few pics for your enjoyment! 

i used PVA glue for my next build a Tamiya Beaufighter MkX and so far the canopy is still stuck on and the pva glue I smoothed over with a cotton bud dampened with water. I then touched it up with acrylics and I must say it does look very neat and no glue anywhere it shouldn't be. 

That books sounds right up my street, I'll look it up, thanks.

I've been meaning to get those 1938 Wills cards up in a frame in the modelling cave, I love them!

I think PVA for canopies is the way, if they are a good fit to start with.