victory 1760

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

this is a picture from my first victory , showing the way I did the coppering , with self adhesive 4mm copper strips . you get it from ebay or lamp makers supplys , you'll need 2 rolls .

spacer.png

Thanks a lot! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve5 said:

this is a picture from my first victory , showing the way I did the coppering , with self adhesive 4mm copper strips . you get it from ebay or lamp makers supplys , you'll need 2 rolls .

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 10:17, steve5 said:

the title did tell you that moarein . 1760 , just after it was first launched , hence the new look . the copper plating wasn't around in 1760 , I don't think it saw action till 1765 and I don't think nelson was born yet , I believe he got the ship in 1803 and brought in the beehive stripes and extended bowsprit , the removeal of the rear balconies . the lengthening of the main and forecastle decks , and a lot of other adjustments I made to the ship . if you look at the bottom picture you will see nelsons ship on the far right . that is the beauty of these forums , you should be able to ask questions , and please believe me I took no offence my friend .

Whilst I don't know for certain (but probably do have it in a book somewhere), I don't think those changes can have been instituted by Nelson himself as there wasn't enough time in port to undertake the work.  He first joined her in May 1803 and almost immediately set sail for the Mediterranean assuming command of the Mediterranean Fleet in July.  From then until she returned to Portsmouth from the Caribbean in August 1805, VICTORY was continuously at sea (I think the US Navy these days gives a medal for 4 weeks continuous at sea without a port visit!).  She was in Portsmouth for not more than 2-3 weeks before Nelson was ordered back to sea by the First Sea Lord, sailing on 14 September 1805 from Spithead.  So whilst yes its possible that those changes could have been ordered by Nelson, I think it much more likely they were done in the extended periods in port running up to May 1803.

Fair enough Chewbacca , what l was trying to do, was show the above post they were pretty different ships , 1760 - 1805 . My knowledge isn't that great on the subject , thanks for the info though .

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical so my apologies if the post came across that way.

That's one of the great things about any form of ship modelling unlike aircraft.  When an aircraft gets modified, it generally gets a new model number. so everyone knows, for example, what is different between say a Spitfire Mk 1 and a Spitfire Mk IX.   A ship gets modified many times though its life but is always the same ship.  The challenge is always to work out which modifications were done when.  I think you've done a great job of portraying VICTORY as built, a configuration that is very rarely seen (I think I have only seen one other model of her like that which was in Captain Hardy's cabin in the early 1980s but had been moved when I was last onboard in about 2010).

believe me Chewbacca , I in no way took offence , as I said I really appreciated your knowledge on the subject , I actually like the history lessons because I learn , never be afraid to tell me what you think , I love hearing it .

• Thanks 1