victory 1760

this is a project I have been working on for quite a few years , got burn't out on it , but after seeing jim's beautiful build , started looking at it again , these are a few photos just to show where I am at with the build

spacer.png

spacer.png

as you can see it is very different from nelson's victory , the forecastle deck is smaller , the poop deck is to ,I had to remove a  shroud from the main and fore mast's

spacer.pngspacer.png

all the stay's have been seized in some form

spacer.png

I have also tried to make up the balconies for the stern , please let me know what you think , as I have a long way to go with this build .

spacer.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

thank's guy's , yes jeff I am hoping to keep going on with it , their is still a heap to do .

peter _  I was on it for about 2 years , there was a modeller on pete coleman's old site who did it , Michael D , which inspired me to have a crack . he showed me how to shorten all the decks  , I also had a lot of help from a german modeller called dafi , who is amazing on all things victory .

started some work on the lifts and other assorted blocks .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 6

very nice chris, love your dio settings too , I must have a go at one sometime , those 1/700 scales are just too small for me mate ,🤓.

made a start on the bowsprit spar . the bow sprit was replaced with a kebab stick , cut and shaped to length .

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 8

thanks for the likes guys , got some more work done on the ship , with the fore jeers and the fore yard lifts on , least that's what I think they are called .spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

for crying out loud , just noticed I forgot to put the rope walks in , some mothers do have em . at least nothing is glued in yet . just have to undo it fix it and put it back together .

Edited by steve5
  • Like 6

thanks Chewbacca , yes it is hellers 1/100 victory . I was in the same predicament as jim bates my stern wall was a bit skew whiff , asked heller for a new one , which they kindly sent , so I was ab;e to make the balconies from the two . was able to take the yard off , put the rope walk on , then the yard back on .

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow Amazing Steve have just found this to me it looks nearly finished how did you find doing the rigging.

Not the usual Victory that gets built the balcony stern is very well done.

Looking forward to more instalments.

• Like 1

thank's jim , there is still a great deal to do to the rigging , it's the bit I enjoy the most , yet I'm hopeless on modern destroyers . love the job you are doing on your victory mate .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve5 said:

goes to disprove they never went out with gangs , dragging poor unsuspecting sod's onto their ship . they had to know what went where , professional sailors .

Sadly, there are lots of indisputable records showing that Press gangs, as they were called, did indeed go out grabbing suitable candidates.  Most of the work on a sailing ship was basically labouring: learning the ropes (literally) would be done en-route after impressment.  "Do what Jack does" is a time-honoured means of learning, enforced with harsh discipline.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Sadly, there are lots of indisputable records showing that Press gangs, as they were called, did indeed go out grabbing suitable candidates.  Most of the work on a sailing ship was basically labouring: learning the ropes (literally) would be done en-route after impressment.  "Do what Jack does" is a time-honoured means of learning, enforced with harsh discipline.

That is very true but the other thing to bear in mind was that the Press Gang worked in the port towns where a lot of the people whom they "invited" to serve His Majesty already had a maritime background - it's not like nowadays where despite living on an island, the vast majority of people's experience of being sea, even those who live near the coast, is catching the car ferry to France.  Those that had no experience were impressed as "Landsmen" while they "learnt the ropes" and were paid at a much lower rate.  After a while they were promoted to Seaman and then eventually to Able Seaman.  Those who had seagoing experience would be impressed as either a Seaman or Able Seaman depending upon the experience they could demonstrate

• Like 4

http://www.hismodel.com/index.php?moduleLanguageId=1 , this guy will have everything you need , they were on all of the yards on your model , 1805 . not too sure about mine , 1760 , but what the hell , I like the look of them . they were rollers to help the yards roll up and down easier . thanks for the compliment jim , love what you are doing too mate , the extra's like the maps , are really adding to it .

I should have put it like Chewbacca said , sorry guy's .

anyway , getting some of the lower yard braces started .

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 4

despite walking/running/cycling past the real thing on days my "office" was alongside, I never took the time to ask:

when did the Mizen mast arrangement change from what you have(correctly) shown - a crossed yard - to the latter boom sail type arrangement (perhaps my choice of words reveals my limited knowledge to Gas Turbine powered warships!)

I cannot claim to have any great knowledge on the subject , my friend . but I have a book .the masting and rigging of English ships of war - by james lees . they went from the full lateen mizzen yard and sail at the turn of the 18th century , to the sail laced to the mast , like mine , up to the turn of the 19th century , that's when nelson took over the victory and his configuration . I think that lasted till steam took over , they used to use the mizzen sail to help turn those huge ships . if anyone has any better knowledge please jump in , as I said I am no great expert .

got the fore gallant yard in and rigged

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 2