ANZAC Skyhawks

With the appearance of more readily available Douglas A-4s in both 1/48 and 1/72 on the shelves, I'm wondering why the aftermarket decal producers do not appear to be offering more sheets for them. Those that are available are generally of Vietnam War-era Scooters. The Skyhawk was widely used in all its variants.

Specifically, I am surprised that there is not a better coverage of Australian and New Zealand A-4s. Personally speaking, there are few subjects that would persuade me to tandem build, but a late RAN A-4G and a late RNZAF A-4K, in two-tone grey and overall greens and grey respectively, would do it. A good sheet could easily cover both air arms usage of the type quite comprehensively.

Any decal producers up for it?

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/561683384773442692/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/71846556543743446/

• Like 1

There have actually been quite a few (in relative terms) aftermarket decal sheets covering ANZAC Skyhawks.

For 1:48, apart from the aforementioned Gekko Graphics sheets. covering almost every A-4K/TA-4K Skyhawk in all the major RNZAF schemes, another company called Ronin Decals has similar sheets (I understand the Gekko Graphics sheets may now be difficult to source. Model Alliance also did the RNZAF TA-4J '75th Anniversary Gold Special' in their special colour schemes series, which is still readily available.

RAN decals are a little harder to come by - Cutting Edge did a sheet which included a A-4G in the two-tone grey scheme. A more recent company (CTA Decals - Cut Then Add) have included an A-4G in their "Aussies at Sea" decal release. The RAN A-4Gs have also been covered by another Australian decal manufacturer (Red Roo IIRC) and seem to be readily available via that well known auction site. 

I'm not so sure on 1:72 scale sheets but I do recall both Modeldecal and Superscale covering RAN A-4Gs in their range at some point in the past.         

• Like 1

Not an AM set, but ESCI used to produce A-4G Aussie kit in 1/72, apart from RAN A-4G decals which were included in their 1/72 A-4 E Israeli Hot Rod kit. I have one of the latter, but it is buried somewhere deep down in my stash, so a Scalemates link will have to do. However, decals of these old ESCI kits have many issues, one of them being a tendency to just drop off a model when dry. Quite annoying, but fortunately not impossible to remedy. Cheers

Jure

Novascale (Australian outfit) also do 1/72 and 1/48 A-4 decals.

I recently purchased their mini-sheet for the A-4G after transfer to RNZAF (N-72059D).  Not tried them yet, but they are nicely printed with separate "kiwis", and plain white underlay to go under the printed elements.  ALPS printed, solid carrier sheet, so will require careful cutting.  Full instructions for use and lacquering, etc. included.  Full colour, nicely printed colour scheme diagram (with paint codes) and clear instructions on decal placement.

Edited by klubman01
additional info
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Novascale (Australian outfit) also do 1/72 and 1/48 A-4 decals.

I recently purchased their mini-sheet for the A-4G after transfer to RNZAF (N-72059D).  Not tried them yet, but they are nicely printed with separate "kiwis", and plain white underlay to go under the printed elements.  ALPS printed, solid carrier sheet, so will require careful cutting.  Full instructions for use and lacquering, etc. included.  Full colour, nicely printed colour scheme diagram (with paint codes) and clear instructions on decal placement.

Novascale can be hit and miss, some of the colours are translucent and on darker surfaces can almost disappear. I have used a few of their sheets. On a white background they are fine.  The one issue with the Novascale sheets is they only include basic marking making you need to source data and warning markings elsewhere. Is fine if the base kit already included a similar scheme with applicable markings but when you go from hi to lovis or visa versa then you need to find/buy the other markings. I have also found the decals are thin and can be damaged easily.

So my advice is to be careful with them when using them. I have built a couple of RAN 1/32 A-4s using Hawkeye decals also. Both were commission builds

49703312517_357e46f995_b.jpg

49703311232_4fafb1f187_b.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Hook said:

In addition to the Esci "Israeli Hot Rod" boxing, Fujimi's A-4E/F kit features Australian decals as well.

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/fujimi-f-24-a-4e-f-topgun--120649

Cheers,

Andre

I do love how Fujimi refers to it as "A-4G of VF 885, RAAF. 🤬

That would be A-4G of VF 805 Squadron Royal Australian NAVY!

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I do love how Fujimi refers to it as "A-4G of VF 885, RAAF.

That would be A-4G of VF 805 Squadron Royal Australian NAVY!

Well, Italeri referred to "892 Squadron, Royal Air Force" on their Fujimi Phantom FG.1 repop... 😎

Cheers,

Andre

Well, it seems the situation is not as desperate as I thought, and many thanks to BMers for pointing me in the right direction :clap2:. Looks like it may be a little more pricey than I would ideally like, but what the heck? I'm saving a lot of dosh by not going to any air shows or model shows this year. It seems Hawkeye and Gekko may be in receipt of some of it instead.

Lovely pair of Scooters, Ray. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Decals for almost every RAAF and RAN aircraft are available from Australian decal makers such as Ronin, Hawkeye and Novascale to name a few. I have used decals from all of the manufacturers named and have had no problems with them. You can usually buy direct from the manufacturer or through shops such as BNA or Southern Sky Models (apologies to any shops I have omitted). Delivery is usually 1-2 weeks by airmail.

• Like 1