German Pak 40 gun and crew, Russia 1943.

My first real crack at a diorama. This is the old Tamiya 75mm Pak 40 and crew, along with spares box weapons, ammo and extra crew member with binoculars. The grass is from Mininatur, the lighter roadway is tile grout, the darker dirt is just that from mums garden and the fence was made out of balsa wood. I'm not the best at figure painting but I'll get there. 1/35 is the scale.

RJcIel9.jpg

TNWLIv8.jpg

oTcEzO8.jpg

v6RiS5y.jpg

Ora8quZ.jpg

fyRUYY9.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Brad,

That's pretty good for a first dio. It's an old kit, but still a good one, with nicely posed figures. There's the time-old issue with the satin sheen on the uniforms and skin, but apart from that there's not much else to suggest for 'improvement'.  A thin coat of Winsor and Newton Acrylic matt varnish will sort the uniforms/skin out. I assume by the camo on the gun that you have an AB? I would use water-diluted varnish in the AB and make sure to give it a good clean afterwards (with water and cotton buds) If you're uncomfortable with doing that. then apply the same with a soft brush.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Brad,

That's pretty good for a first dio. It's an old kit, but still a good one, with nicely posed figures. There's the time-old issue with the satin sheen on the uniforms and skin, but apart from that there's not much else to suggest for 'improvement'.  A thin coat of Winsor and Newton Acrylic matt varnish will sort the uniforms/skin out. I assume by the camo on the gun that you have an AB? I would use water-diluted varnish in the AB and make sure to give it a good clean afterwards (with water and cotton buds) If you're uncomfortable with doing that. then apply the same with a soft brush.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks mate. It does look a bit sheeny, but I think it's just the artificial light picking up the lighter pigment I dry brushed on as I hit it with a good matt coat and it looks much better to the naked eye.

• Like 1

Hi Brad,

Okay, thanks. I often assume that people's photos are 'as good as the naked eye' and of course they aren't always.  If it's any consolation, the more I look at those figures, the more I like them.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1