Spitfire Mk.VIII/IX Cockpit Door

DraganChe

Hello friends.

I plan to build Spitfire Mk.VIII in 1/48 scale,and I have Eduard's model kit which is excellent.I have also set for cockpit doors from same producer,and there is decals with stencils for it.
Does anyone have any picture of Mk.VIII or Mk.IX cockpit doors ,where is visible writings on it,so that I can compare does Eduard have done it right,and which stencil that I put on my model kit.
Thank you very much,and happy modeling.

Hi Dragan,

Hope the following may help. All are RAAF Spitfire MK.VIII.

c7e879ae-25bb-4eef-943a-1437843d0aa5.jpg

This is an LF.VIII. The stencilling carries the same message. "MAKE SURE DOOR IS LOCKED BEFORE FLIGHT", as in the shot posted by Chris but, the style is different and there is an additional stencil on the forward section of the door.

b5a4b90a-a164-42cf-890e-05fd897d3891.jpg

Later aircraft, (this is an HF.VIII), had yhis vertical style of stencil. Note that the crowbar was often removed when the aircraft was parked for a long time.

c780fa46-a5c1-4c18-8518-58c3da116afb.jpg

And some had no stencil at all! Just love that dog, I've had several German Sheperds over the years. 

There is no such thing as a standard stencil design on Spitfires. The varied from mark to mark and factory/sub contractor to factory/sub contractor.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Peter M

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thank you very much dear friends.If anyone had any more photos it will be most welcomed. :-). I have found this picture on internet,and it is not signed which variant of aircraft it is,is this maybe LF Mk.VIII?

EHkan-RRWo-AAtenn.jpg

Edited by DraganChe

It is a Spitfire IX, the personal aircraft of  Wing Commander Hugh Godefroy, wing leader at RAF Kenley from September 1943 to April 1944. However, none of that makes any difference to the cockpit door.

Don't trust that picture, it is coloured in by one of the current vandals of the historical record. This is what it is supposed to look like.

godefroy_with_spit.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you very much.So I see that I can use that vertical stencil from Eduards set.And it shall be black variant of it.Because I plan to made LF Mk.VIII and since there is same pattern of stencils on HF Mk.VIII which this gentleman had posted up in this theme,I belive that it is posible that it was same stencil on LF variant.

I would like to know is there any standard made during the war from period of 1944 where Mk.VIII is presented.So I would like to know which stencils goes on Mk.VIII...is there any standard or it was just a "free style"? I dont know which one to put on my model?Can someone Spitfire expert help about it?I am very confused.I have found on some cases vertical stencils but some are Mk.IX and some are Mk.VIII....I have stencils for vertical variant,and mode kit of LF Mk.VIII,can I put that stencil,and that my model be accurate? Please help.

Edited by DraganChe

13 minutes ago, DraganChe said:

I would like to know is there any standard made during the war from period of 1944 where Mk.VIII is presented.So I would like to know which stencils goes on Mk.VIII...is there any standard or it was just a "free style"?

10 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

There is no such thing as a standard stencil design on Spitfires. The varied from mark to mark and factory/sub contractor to factory/sub contractor.

@DraganChe, I understand you are new here, and English is not your first language.  And you have another thread going.

There is no harm in being very specific, as @Magpie22 maybe able to give you a better answer if he know that you are asking about MT714, as that IS specific, and is of a known batch and factory, so it maybe possible that a photo of a hatch of a plane from the same batch exists, if you are lucky. ;) 

Spitfire_Mk_VIII_MT714_FT-F_43_Sqn_at_Ra

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DraganChe said:

I would like to know is there any standard made during the war from period of 1944 where Mk.VIII is presented.So I would like to know which stencils goes on Mk.VIII...is there any standard or it was just a "free style"? I dont know which one to put on my model?Can someone Spitfire expert help about it?I am very confused.I have found on some cases vertical stencils but some are Mk.IX and some are Mk.VIII....I have stencils for vertical variant,and mode kit of LF Mk.VIII,can I put that stencil,and that my model be accurate? Please help.

OK, we now know it is MT714.

First photo in my earlier post was MT618. This was an aircraft assembled at Chattis Hill and has the horizontal lettering.

Below is a shot of an Eastleigh assembled aircraft, MT675. This has the vertical lettering.

Your aircraft MT714 was an Eastleigh assembled aircraft, so I would take a punt on it carrying the vertical lettering.

Peter M

b4e53370-423f-438e-93f9-f97efca0423a.jpg

Edited by Magpie22
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

OK, we now know it is MT714.

First photo in my earlier post was MT618. This was an aircraft assembled at Chattis Hill and has the horizontal lettering.

Below is a shot of an Eastleigh assembled aircraft, MT675. This has the vertical lettering.

Your aircraft MT714 was an Eastleigh assembled aircraft, so I would take a punt on it carrying the vertical lettering.

Peter M

b4e53370-423f-438e-93f9-f97efca0423a.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!YOU ARE THE BEST!Thank you kind sir.This is solved my quest.

You can not imagine how happy I am,thanks God on it.I am jet guy, and this is my transfer to props for first time.I worked 11years on real MiG-29 in my squadron ,now that is pased to younger airmans,and I was always in jet models also.And Spitfire was always looked coolest to me,of props.I find most interesting in Mk.VIII variant and that most beautifull for me.Truth to tell I dont have knowledge about that era.But this gaved me "mojo" for it,and I want to thanks to all good and kind people who helped me to find reference materials for my project.Thank you all one more time.Now to work 🙂

Thank you friends modelers.

Edited by DraganChe
  • Like 7

Just a small sidetrack. Lots of detail in the b & w photo of WC Godefroy's aircraft. Note the gyro gunsight and compare to gunsight in photo of a/c with pilot and dog. Also note the hole in the fuselage just behind the fuselage access panel which was used for the original IFF cheese cutter wires still there on a late MkIX which would have the IFF blade under the starboard wing.

TRF

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DraganChe said:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!YOU ARE THE BEST!Thank you kind sir.This is solved my quest.

Dragan,

Thanks for the kind words. Helping each other is what this site is about. If I need Mig-29 info, I now where to go!

Cheers,

Peter M

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

Dragan,

Thanks for the kind words. Helping each other is what this site is about. If I need Mig-29 info, I now where to go!

Cheers,

Peter M

Ofcourse my dear friend.🙂

All the best.

Edited by DraganChe

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

While we are (or were) at it, Has anyone a picture or know where to find a picture of the interior of the cockpit door for a Mk1a Spitfire. This one is going to be Sqd Ldr Brian Lane's P9386 QV-K. I have various tech stencils (in red) just seeing if it is known which ones to use. No worries on the Crowbar. I have already chiselled away! 😂

Regards,

Lindsey

Edited by Lindsey C

On 3/25/2020 at 11:31 PM, Magpie22 said:

Just love that dog

Pilot asks, "How's the engine running, boy?" To which the dog replies, "Ruff!" (I will now return to the Naughty Corner to contemplate my behavior!) :giggle:

Mike

I know, I know- I'm one sick puppy!

• Haha 5