RA-5C Vigilante -🤬 I REALLY need to start reading reviews before getting started

Starting on my next project - I actually have several in the pipeline, but I'm starting to get the hang of this WIP thing, so...

20200325_105619.jpg

I will probably eschew the kit decals, we'll see.

Starting with the fabulous bracing from Nautilus models. This is a neatly engineered solution to the lack of support in the main fuselage, BUT... you cant use the engines. Guess I'll have to find another use for them🤔 hmmmm. Easy to build up with white glue. I used large square magnets and a metal shelf to keep everything at 90' angles.

20200325_105022.jpg

20200325_105004.jpg

20200325_105103.jpg

20200325_105048.jpg

I am using the kit gear assemblies. I bought the Aries set, but it doesn't seem to fit this kit??? Shame, as the detail is fantastic!

20200325_104504.jpg

20200325_104508.jpg

These small woodworking clamps are really getting a workout lately.

20200325_104459.jpg

Haha. Just noticed the short pants. It was 85'F in DFW today. Tomorrow is slated for 90'+. Let's hope the sun can burn some virus.

20200325_104441.jpg

More updates tomorrow, as I start gluing all the lifting body halves - every wing, tailplane, etc. is two halves with a top/bottom per half. I foresee some problems getting everything lined up. Undecided on folded up, or everything hanging out. Guess I'll sleep on it. 

• Like 4

• markmcguire25 changed the title to RA-5C Vigilante -🤬 I REALLY need to start reading reviews before getting started

So... I planned on a nicely detailed cockpit using the Blackbox set, canopies up, and some very subtle weathering. All the surfaces flat and straight since I have lots of shelf space. Nothing too fancy. Just a quick build that looks like a Vigilante.

Started on the interior - nice detail, good fit.  a little trimming for the aftermarket, but pretty nice.

20200326_104553.jpg

20200326_095628.jpg

Kit gear fits with aftermarket

20200326_095633.jpg

Wing subbasemblies all fit and cemented. A bit of cleanup and everything seems great

20200325_202811.jpg

Then I discovered what everyone who's built this kit, OR read a build of this kit already knows - they don't mate, mates!!! ARRRRGGGGGGG

Every assembly looks like this

20200326_155624.jpg

So now what? I really don't want to spend the time required to make "realistic" folding mechanisms to fill in the blank the Trumpy team left. I do have another kit that was going to a super detail project down in the shop, showing engine work opened panels, etc. I can steal the wings and tail from that kit. But how to get all these to line up?

• Like 4

No work yesterday as the weather dictated yard work, gutter cleaning, car maintenance, etc. But I did manage to un____ this goat on Saturday. I rebooted with the wings from the other kit. I'll use the previously built wings to display as folded once I get to that model.

I decided to start from the end and work my way back to the fuselage, as these seem to fit best and show the correct cord. I was worried about the strength of the joint, at the wing fold, so I worked out some internal bracing. Starting in the wingtips, I filed a groove for some brass rod and used my favorite super glue.

20200328_083151.jpg

20200328_084828.jpg

20200328_084840.jpg

20200328_084924.jpg

Test fit to the upper wing. I felt I wanted a better fit on the top, and I could "settle" for a less than perfect fit on the bottom.

20200328_114031.jpg

Both wings filed, fit and ready for glue

20200328_115035.jpg

Starboard side - smooth as glass😎

20200328_120540.jpg

Port side has a very slight step, it must've moved slightly while the glue was drying.

20200328_120552.jpg

Internal bracing glued in place. Glue added in the wing joins to fill any gaps. I shot accelerator on the outside prior, so glue wouldn't "seep" through to the topside. The white strip styrene gives me the extra depth I need for the leading edge slats to fit correctly. The rear fit pretty good with minimal work, at least during test fitting.

20200328_190713.jpg

Bottom panels test-fit. Pretty nice!

20200328_190756.jpg

While waiting on the slow-set CA, I turned to the tail. It was actually a bit easier, as I just need to match the chord width and glue in place

20200328_112500.jpg

20200328_112521.jpg

A slight gap, but nothing too hard to fix, and the tail is straight and even!

20200328_113151.jpg

Still waiting on the slow-set CA. I airbrushed, then dry brushed the cockpit walls. Nothing super detailed. I'll add a few more highlights before I close it up.

20200328_204356.jpg

20200328_204356.jpg

That's it for the weekend update - more to come soon, I hope.

Edited by markmcguire25
sp
  • Like 4

Good fix for the wings! Can't remember what I did on mine (it was 13 years ago, first in-prog build I ever did on Britmodeller) but your solution has worked really well.

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Good fix for the wings! Can't remember what I did on mine (it was 13 years ago, first in-prog build I ever did on Britmodeller) but your solution has worked really well.

Thanks for the positivity, Hopefully I can get back at it tonight. BTW- do you have a link to your WIP, I'd like to go through it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

BTW- do you have a link to your WIP, I'd like to go through it.

In my post you quoted, there's a link contained in the word 'mine' (it's underlined) 😉

• Thanks 1

Back in the saddle again. A few updates and a couple big oopses. This project is starting to feel like ... 🐵🏈

Added some wiring to the landing gear, and really did a poor job of it. Hoping some highlighting and drybrushing will pull the eye away from the yuckiness.

20200328_204433.jpg

20200328_204503.jpg

And on to the cockpit. Painted up nice. Fits super tight, almost no gaps in the resin mating surfaces. And the nose gear fits perfectly underneath, almost as if someone planned it that way:)

20200401_131122.jpg

Some globs of glue that won't be seen once its closed up. Nothing to see here.

20200401_131128.jpg

Nose gear bay. Painted, drybrushed. Perfect fit under the cockpit.

20200401_131901.jpg

Fits great, no gaps in the fuselage. Everything closes up... or does it?

20200401_201103.jpg

Standing on her own three legs, while the glue dries.

20200401_201756.jpg

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! My resin lines are the same as the avionix instructions. Everything else fits almost perfect, WTHeck!!!

20200401_201109.jpg

Even the front IP/coaming fits perfect. It almost didn't need glue?!?

20200402_103202.jpg

What to do, what to do? 🤔

20200402_103228.jpg

Against my better judgement, I pried out the rear IP. and shaved down both the IP module and the base inside the aircraft. It's going to make for nasty touch ups later, but I may have a plan for that, maybe.

While I was at it, I shaved a bit off the rear cockpit also. The photoetch will hide some and I think I have a way to finish this without messing up the already finished portions.

20200402_110630.jpg

Moved on to the wings, just to change the scenery(frustration) a bit. Starting to look like a plane.

20200402_142617.jpg

Adding the rear fuselage/exhaust area was quite tricky. I had to file down the attachment grooves/steps inside the fuselage that mated with exhaust. It was uneven in areas and left mismatched steps in the join if not dealt with. I used several different tricks to get the shapes to line up. I also felt like this join was going to be very prone to "popping". so I added some strength on the Inside once it dried overnight.

20200402_151321.jpg

20200403_110803.jpg

20200403_110815.jpg

More or less the same philosophy on the bottom. Fortunately, the big step down here won't show after the canoe is attached. I just cemented a long thick strip of styrene to add strength.

20200402_170728.jpg

20200402_170737.jpg

Flash Pod gets a layer of foil inside the light lenses. Nothing fancy, but should do the trick.

20200402_170743.jpg

That's my update for the last few days. Not much model work, as my real job has been very busy - for which I am thankful. Hopefully, I'll get this beast corralled this weekend and maybe get some paint on her... lots of weird mold lines to sand still, though.

Mark

• Like 6

Hi Mark,

great update on your efforts. I really like the lines of the Vigilante, it just looks right.

Good save on the cockpit, a pity you only noticed it being too wide after closing the fuselage. If you plan to keep the canopies open you may could have left it as is without being noticeable.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

I ran into the same issue with the gap over the cockpits and couldn't make the adjustments work for me ... the bird went into the trash bin. You're making excellent progress with a kit known to be difficult. Based on what I've seen so far, this is going to be a very nice finished model.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Mark,

great update on your efforts. I really like the lines of the Vigilante, it just looks right.

Good save on the cockpit, a pity you only noticed it being too wide after closing the fuselage. If you plan to keep the canopies open you may could have left it as is without being noticeable.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus! Good name, BTW.

I am planning on keeping the canopy open, but have zero interest in performing surgery on the canopies - me and clear plastic do not play well together. In searching for cockpit details, I discovered two things; 

1. a great video of a plane being rebuilt by an incredible group of volunteers. Anyone building this kit should watch these.

2. The kits interior is also way off. Including an sort of canopy lift mechanism.   

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

The trumpy Viggie is a handfull....I've been wrestling with it too

You are doing well, I went with the Aires pit instead...I thought it looked nicer tho it came with a whole different set of problems :P

suffice to say, The Dremel was my best friend during that endeavour :(

all the best and keep att it...The Viggie is a gorgeous jet!

If you are interested in my battle you can find it here. 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/153212-ra-5c-vigilante/&tab=comments#comment-1394905

Great work so far.

Good idea using extra support in the build. Will keep that in mind when I get round to doing mine.

Good to see a few of these Trumpeter Vigilantes getting done. Seems one needs plenty of patience with the kit.

Just watch that video you posted Mark. Geat work by those volunteers.

I'm looking at about the same time frame and possibly some of the same tools to finish mine.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, Aigore said:

You are doing well, I went with the Aires pit instead...I thought it looked nicer tho it came with a whole different set of problems :P

suffice to say, The Dremel was my best friend during that endeavour :(

If you are interested in my battle you can find it here. 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/153212-ra-5c-vigilante/&tab=comments#comment-1394905

Thanks Aigore! I have the Aires also, but it seems to be an earlier version, and decided I preferred the Avionix seats. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. 

I'm going through your build now, lucky I'm building a later model C, don't need the wing surgery. Nice job on the canopies!

No real updates this weekend. I am tiring of this kit. I decided to finish my T-45, work on the Helix that got put aside waiting on seats, and try to finish up on "some shelf of doom" kits.

Added strength for the tailplane insert. Very ugly milliput inside the fuselage, but it wont be seen once exhausts are fitted.

20200404_092610.jpg

20200404_092640.jpg

I let it set up all day Saturday, and when Sunday rolled around, I just had no energy for this kit. Meh.

• Like 1