Hello everyone... Im not at a loss for builds right now with five on the go. Crazy me 🤪... Ive gone and decided to add a couple of new ones. The Second one will be the AZ Martin-Baker MB.5 kit. This is the one I have, It will get started in the next day or two. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/az-model-az7561-martin-baker-mb5--1025130

I like the kits options but not sure if I’m going to use them ? I may save the decals for Seafires as Whif’s. Im kind of angling for something left field. Waaaaay Left field like a Reno style racer. Something along the lines of these. 

“Miss foxy Lady”,

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b3/cd/a9/b3cda9ccde8fa59985d05565de9c9d10.jpg

“Precious metal”,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/warbirdwatcher.com/2015/09/14/help-rebuild-precious-metal/amp/

“Hi-Time II”, 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/51/15/0e5115e3e5a5761c624644b7ba3ce526.jpg

or “Habu”

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/survivors/serial/44-73196

Im thinking polished metal, or fancy scheme and I like the idea of doing this. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

I built one of these last year and finished it with in the blue 'Sea Baker' scheme. It builds into a handsome beast. 

5b6377f7-b932-47c2-a1db-79e10b0b8578.JPG

resized_defe1997-86e5-4c45-a5ce-8ed9d6d4

I particularly liked the shark mouth. This airframe really suited it. I found a nice build. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

A drawing:

49701556201_d8d8aa7406_o.jpg

Chris

That will help for restoring panel lines. Thanks Chris. 

13 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Very good call! The prototype looked like a Reno Racer to start with. Looking forward to it.

Regards,

Adrian

I thought the same thing that's Why I opted for this route. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everyone... Started this today, not much mind you. I was able to paint up the wheels/tires, cockpit and thats about it. oImZYUt.jpg

Tyd5EPk.jpg
I’ve been trying to decide on a scheme and I think I've kind of got one I'm happy with. It will be a combo of “Miss Foxy Lady’s” Gloss Black, most likely with a pattern of Sunbursts on the horizontal and vertical flying surfaces. The sunbursts will be either white or Aluminum. The number will be “44” in Polished copper paint. It will have copper accents possibly stripes edging the sunbursts, wing tips, or a checkerboard to fill in the sunbursts. If anyone has any ideas for the scheme please chime in ? Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Hello everyone... Well I did some work on this today. Its definitely a short run kit. I had to trim about 1/8th” of off the sides of the floor pan, front, and rear walls to the cockpit. Otherwise the fuselage wouldn't have closed. The cockpit sidewalls are no more as they wouldn't allow the fuselage to close up either. I also had to cut two short pieces of sprue to help support the floor pan so it didn't drop. 
cVKqVXH.jpg

PeM9l0q.jpg

tmljMfd.jpg

1xID72Y.jpg

Once it all fit i opened up the chin intake and radiator intake as much as possible. Finally getting around to gluing the fuselage, I remembered to trap the tail wheel between the halves. Im going to let it all set up and will rough sand it tonight. Next up is the wings and Rudder assembly, once that is done i can figure out the hole locations for the brass rod spars. Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

That’s the thing I don’t get about short run kits, surely it is no harder to make cockpit floors etc that actually fit than it is to make ones that are too wide.

AW

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... Rough sanding complete on the fuselage. I built up the wings tonight and added the vertical stabilizer and rudder. When doing so I also added a P-51 style tail fillet for the fin. When it is all set i will be adding filler to help shape it. I will also need to decide if the wingtips need to be modified ? 
LORaokV.jpg

They're of course only mocked in place i still need to add some form of spars so they stay on. God I hate butt joints, why do model companies still do this ? I also added the 3 piece intake and thats going to meed some work as well. The canopy doesn't fit very well so I will need to either sculpt it to conform to the existing fuselage. Or I will need to reshape the fuselage to fit the canopy ? From this ⬇️ view it looks ok but the side of the canopy overhang by quite a bit. Maybe as much as 2 mm’s on either side ? 

IXZCc6u.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... I was able to get the wing spars are in today.  lnlDZWf.jpg
shortly after the photo i decided the blue & black bands weren't enough. Bad idea as I added a different band and instantly folded the wings ! So tore it down, recut and added a new spar at the rear. The front one is short and more a stub due to the landing gear bay being in the way. Its all fixed and setting with C/A gel and in some areas of gel styrene glue. 

Dennis 

• Like 5

Hello everybody... Last night before bed I slathered a bunch of filler all over this. I attacked it with a sanding block today. Once the rough sand and shaping were done, I re-scribed the panel lines. Both in the fuselage and lower wings. The upper wings, gun ports, and gun covers are filled in. j4AvvLe.jpg

GMc6e7L.jpg

OtwBwXu.jpg

l7e26M7.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

Hello everyone... Finished off all the sanding, polishing, and re-scribing today. Next step was to add the horizontal stabs. tyYwZOM.jpg

V7jYe7t.jpg

Here you can see the only poor fit on the stabs. Though I highly recommend that someone check the fit if building one of these. Idid have to enlarge the openings for them and minimize the tabs. I also added the canopy to start addressing that gap. 

WsgRbAg.jpg

Here is the problem area on the port side. 

rtozusH.jpg

kdboUl6.jpg

And on the starboard side. 

fxOg9ts.jpg

The canopy overhangs the edges of the cockpit sill and leaves about a .25 -.5mm gap underneath the edge where I've circled. Should be able to solve that. I did try with a spare Mk.XVI Spitfire canopy but that was way to narrow. Good thing I’ve got a masking set for this canopy as I don't normally glue canopies on before paint. Questions, comments, and or thoughts. Please stay safe everyone. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Hello everyone... Ive gone and finished fairing the canopy in. SgvGptL.jpg

hXgqnO8.jpg

X0NzNHV.jpgWell it still needs a bit of smoothing out with some fine surfacer. But I believe its close and hopefully by Saturday or Sunday should see some paint being thrown at this. Questions, comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

That is coming on very well, the MB5 is one of my favourite aircraft. I have built two MB5s in the past. One was the Falcon vacform in about 1985 and one was the Skybirds86 kit about 10 or so years later after the Falcon kit was damaged. Both had vacform canopies and both were actually pigs to fit, even though the Skybirds86 one was partially pre cut and it was a well engineered kit. The shape of the MB5 cockpit does not help any canopy to fit. I wonder if short run kits have issues with shrinkage of plastic on cooling that are less easy to deal with than on more durable moulds used in more mainstream products? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

I wonder if short run kits have issues with shrinkage of plastic on cooling that are less easy to deal with than on more durable moulds used in more mainstream products?

You know that does seem a possibility, or possibly wasn't measured correctly ? The few builds of this kit I was able to find, all seemed to have some issues around the canopy. You could see in the photo’s that some filling had been done around them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody... Sorry for the delay’s in posting anything. I was trying to finish a lot of other builds off. Now I've been using up the last bits of paint in my A/B every time i use it to prime this. I keep finding little spots that need attention. First was the vertical stab now its the underside of the wing roots. gVudwuq.jpg

As these have glass smooth surfaces I want to get close to that. I foresee paint soon though as these are the last little bits. Please feel fee to ask questions, comment, and or post thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3