Bristol Berkeley - 1/72 scratchbuilt - Finished!

54 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

some fantastic techniques that I'll be unashamedly stealing

They are all 'stolen' from other Britmodellers (eg the paint pen), suggested by them (O-rings - see JohnAero's posts earlier in the thread) or tweaked from other modellers' techniques that have been showcased here on BM. I suppose I'm a modelling plagiarist...

Thanks as always for the generous comments - you're easily pleased! As for the Berkeley, I'm back to fettling wings (that lower wing dihedral joint) but with renewed enthusiasm, and I've fitted the first aileron. I'll post an in-progress pic of the second later.

Jon

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

Thanks as always for the generous comments - you're easily pleased! As for the Berkeley, I'm back to fettling wings (that lower wing dihedral joint) but with renewed enthusiasm, and I've fitted the first aileron. I'll post an in-progress pic of the second later.

That's better. Much better than a blurglecruncheoning isn't it?

Pacified of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

You know It makes sense. If it’s not fun then go build something that is. You’ll miss the Berkeley after a while.

Projects like this can be frustrating, but ultimately extremely rewarding. 

Personally I’m itching to get back to the bench, but that might be a reaction to the penicillin.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Marklo said:

You know It makes sense. If it’s not fun then go build something that is.

Hmm. Yesterday I made a rash impulse purchase on Evilbay: a 1/72 Khee-Kha vacform Waco inspired by superb RFIs of the same kit on this site. Completely out of my comfort zone: an American civilian light aircraft! Still, it's a biplane...but so much for wanting to do a nice, easy injection-moulded kit.  For now, the big Berkeley is suddenly fun again.

• Like 2

More filling and sanding today, but at least the scale of the filling/sanding task has reduced to that which would be expected on the majority of injection-moulded kits. Of course, dealing with flaws in the wings and ailerons that have been made visible by the grey primer means that the paint pen has to be used to redefine the rib tapes that have been sanded away, but in general things are progressing.

The lower wing ailerons each had three slots cut in their leading edges to represent the hinge apertures; the two outer slots will have the aileron actuating mechanisms added towards the end of the build to avoid breaking them off as the model is handled. 0.8mm holes were drilled into the leading edges through each slot and short lengths of 0.8mm brass rod were superglued in place, then corresponding 0.8mm holes were drilled into the rear of the wing piece:

20200512_203657

Fun Fact: if you push 0.8mm brass rod into place a bit too hard with the end of your thumb, it makes a faint but distinct popping sound as it pierces the skin. Intriguing.

Each piece of rod was coated in CA glue and inserted into the joles in the wing to fit the aileron. The port aileron was deflected slightly downwards and the starboard aileron upwards:

20200512_204430

After a zap of primer:

20200512_210608

Bearing in mind that the hinge slots still have actuators to be fitted, I'm fairly satisfied with the result.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

Fun Fact: if you push 0.8mm brass rod into place a bit too hard with the end of your thumb, it makes a faint but distinct popping sound as it pierces the skin. 

Push, pop, doh! Push, pop, doh ! Push, pop, doh! have we found BM's answer to Homer Simpson?

Curious of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

Sorry to disappoint, chaps, but I learned the lesson after just one iteration - pain usually helps with that. Mind you, the narrative actually went something like Push, Pop, &¥#@!!. 

Next plan, while deliberately avoiding any fettling of the upper wing, is to work out how to add narrow fairings to 0.8mm rod for constructing the undercarriage legs. I'll do my usual thing and ponder it when I go out running later this morning - that usually does the trick.

Jon

• Haha 2

Main undercarriage struts 'in progress':

20200513_205046

I think I need to dig out my mini-files to reduce the slightly lumpy solder, but I'm otherwise quite pleased - soldering 3 separate pieces of rod that all join at the same point is tricky!  

The streamlined shock absorber fairings were made from a short 4mm wide strip of 60 thou plastic card scraped and sanded to a streamlined section. Two 7mm pieces were cut and drilled through with a 0.8mm bit, before being slid onto the rods that will become the vertical support struts. I now need to work out how to add streamlining to the other struts. I have an idea but, as I wasn't able to run today, I haven't had any modelling 'Eureka!' moments. Hopefully tomorrow...

Jon

• Like 4

Here's where I've got to with the starboard undercarriage assembly:

20200514_141010

To make the fairings I simply scraped and sanded the edge of a piece of 1mm/40 thou plastic card to a streamlined section, then cut the edge off as a thin strip which was superglued along one side of the brass rod strut. Repeat 3 times until you have streamlined plastic strips on each side of the legs, add filler over the brass rod and smooth to shape. I need to taper the streamlined pieces a little, but I'm happy with the result. I still have the other side to do, then wing struts.

Jon

• Like 9

Same plan I use for undercarriage struts, but with .020" strip. It works nicely!

I'm afraid i had a good laugh at the "push, pop" post. Probably because I know exactly what you meant!

Ian

• Like 1

Wow! Just come across this firstly the thread and secondly the type.

Other than the tailplane, there’s hardly a curve on the beastie, so lends itself to scratch building.

Trevor

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Other than the tailplane, there’s hardly a curve on the beastie, so lends itself to scratch building.

Exactly what I thought before I started, Trevor! Astonishing, then, how awkward it has been to get the contours forward of the cockpit to look halfway correct, and the less said about the wings (upper wing especially), the better...  Still, it feels as though I'm over the hardest part now.

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Whenever I drill a long hole in something, it always seems to come out at the side...

Same here even on a short hole. Someday I will invest in one of those little Dremel drill stands that turns it into a mini drill press.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Whenever I drill a long hole in something, it always seems to come out at the side...

It very nearly did! Very slow, very steady...very lucky.

Here's the first side attached to the fuselage, albeit with more minor fettling still to be done, and with a wheel slotted onto the axle:

20200514_222706

I had to adjust the angle of the forward strut which eventually caused its joint to snap, but it superglued neatly back into place. One more to do, then it will be standing on its feet for the first time.

Jon

• Like 8

I have another few days of modelling abstinence looming as I'll be at work so, as I haven't done any wing-fettling for a few days, I thought I'd better crack on with the upper wing. It was cut into three sections, dihedral was added and I've started fitting the fuel tanks over the curved upper wing surface:

20200515_225947

More next week!

Jon

• Like 5

More small steps this evening. The second set of undercarriage struts has been attached, though they all still need the usual fettling. The wheels have been temporarily slid into place to check the angles:

20200520_231047

Both upper wing tanks have been fitted and the dihedral joints filled and sanded; a quick blast of primer has highlighted where more filling and sanding is needed, but it's coming on nicely.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 10

The last stages of filling and sanding are always the most frustrating when the end is in sight - well just! The model is looking very good though and will really be transformed when you spray it with silver finish.

P

• Thanks 1

I feel your pain with the 'push pop'. The other night I was using one of my heavy duty staplers. It jammed because I'd used the wrong gauge staples. I gave the jammed magazine a good tug and the damn thing fired a staple a good 100 mm into my left thigh.

One push ,double pop. @@&%$

John

A great build.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1