Bristol Berkeley - 1/72 scratchbuilt - Finished!

On 6/17/2020 at 4:07 PM, Marklo said:

it needs a grebe or a Nieuport to keep it company :)

If I could find a Grebe or Nighthawk/Nightjar at a realistic price, Mark, I would get one! However, although I know where I could get a Nieuport, I'm not interested enough to pay £20-odd plus postage for a 1/72 vacform. Yorkshireman, see?

Anyway, I've been adding teeny bits and pieces to the Berkeley. Some of the EZ Line rigging attachment points are unfortunately rather agricultural; I think this is partly down to using Gorilla superglue gel which starts to cure quite quickly so frequently ends up as a nodule before the EZ Line can be attached. I'll go back to something thinner next time. 

20200618_194215

I spent ages this morning trying to make scale one-piece control horns from thin plastic card, which was a very frustrating experience. In the end I cobbled them together from tiny pieces of strip. They're still slightly overscale and lack a third 'leg', but frankly I'm close to my patience limit so they will have to do!

20200618_194119

There are a few protuberances around the nose, including gunsight (albeit the Berkeley does not appear to have had a forward-firing gun!) and wind-driven generator (yet to be added) plus a couple of unidentified 'things' on frames. I still have a couple of support struts to add, although these are tiny!

20200618_194145

Apart from those little odds and ends, I just have to wait for the oil-painted prop to dry and put a front plate on it, then it will be RFI time...and about time too! I definitely need a fresh project!

Jon

• Like 7

48118638023_9c085a2bd2_c.jpg

48118697062_c4904a466b_c.jpg
First my gamecock. I have (granted 1/48) scale plans for said same and the green and various Nieuport, which I can on you. With your skills a scratchbuild wouldn’t be too difficult.

Edited by Marklo

It looks so beautiful in the photographs! It would be a very harsh critic who took issue with the rigging attachments but then we are always are own harshest critics. I think it's a real show stopper, brilliant modelling!

• Thanks 1

Like a few others, I'm a bit late to this amazing build. That model is absolutely breath-taking Jonners, and just a little different from your day job!! Thanks for sharing your techniques, successful and not so! Stored away for future reference. All the best from the Antipodes,and looking forward to the full reveal on RFI.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I have a 1:72 Blue Rider Nighthawk vac I won't build. No decals, yours if you want it!

Cheers Ian, PM sent!

10 hours ago, RichieW said:

we are always are own harshest critics. I think it's a real show stopper, brilliant modelling!

I am indeed a harsh self-critic, Richie; it can be a pain sometimes but I think it comes with my profession, so I’ve learned to live with it 🤗Thanks for the very generous ‘debrief’!

10 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

That model is absolutely breath-taking Jonners, and just a little different from your day job!!

...and night job, very often! Cheers HG, that’s a very kind comment. I would love to have been able to experience the variety of interwar prototypes at first hand, but of course that’s from the security of several decades of intervening technological improvement! Different times, different risk appetites...

Jon

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

First my gamecock. I have (granted 1/48) scale plans for said same and the green and various Nieuport, which I can on you. With your skills a scratchbuild wouldn’t be too difficult.

Cheers, Mark. I have detailed 1/72 plans for both the Gamecock and Grebe, but anything for the Nighthawk or Nightjar would be very useful. Thanks.

Well folks, I'm going to call this one finished.

20200619_150657

While there are plenty of details that I could either add and existing parts that I could improve, I know it's time to stop and move on to something else. 

20200619_162116

Thanks to all of you who have provided help, advice, general encouragement and more. It has been invaluable.

There will be an RFI post to follow when I get round to it, albeit within the limitations of my smartphone camera.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 16

48 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

That's gorgeous! Well, the modelling is, the subject is a bit big and boxy for me if I'm being honest...

Big and boxy has its own charm...and, of course, is far easier to scratchbuild than sleek and curvy! Thanks for the generous comment, Adrian.

40 minutes ago, kev67 said:

WOW That is one excellent build and especially as it has been scratch built

Cheers, Kev. There'll be more to follow, but please don't expect them to appear quickly!

Jon