Vickers Supermarine Stranraer, 117 Sq RCAF, 1941-42, Matchbox, 1/72

Hi,

The Stranraer (original Matchbox production)  was a kit waiting for many years in my stash. It is about 30 years now. The main reason was the complicate riging and some conversion needed to do as the kit is reproducing some post war changes. I decided to do her in RCAF livery (and machine of Canadian build), and I am very grateful to all BM fellows who took part in a topic providing many useful information on those differences. First of all I thanks Chris (  @dogsbody ). This thread is here: 

So, the list of modificarions are:

1. removing of carago doors on right side and add additional window

2. cut out the place for cockpit window to move back on right side

3. 4 blades props

4. The a bit reshaped cowlings

5. Fairing of the rear gunner position

6. Browning MGs, and doubled in mid upper site.

7. DF loop control rod between wings

8. Bombs bays for 20 lb bombs and bombs racks under the wings

More corrections are landing and positioning lights, pitot tube, some rivets on surface (very delicate, almost invisible, unfortunately) and bombs (20 lb stolen from Airfix Swordfish, bomb chargies scratch bulid) and driving mechanism of ailerons on the bottom side of wings. I done riging by EZ.

The scheme presents machine from 117 Squadron (BR) RCAF. The story of this particular machine is described here http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_901_950_detailed.htm as 

"With No. 117 (BR) Squadron, RCAF Stations Sydney, Dartmouth, Bella Bella, BC, and Jericho Beach, BC August 1941 to March 1944, in camouflage, last date: 8 March 1944 - Struck off".

Here she is:

49696629488_65d4581d00_b.jpg

49697470637_f78e919069_b.jpg

49696629623_1621f4971a_b.jpg

49697162506_8690c4fb81_b.jpg

49697470372_6d255a2417_b.jpg

49696629308_df5da217e5_b.jpg

49696629693_c20fbfd539_b.jpg

49697471297_89e710e29a_b.jpg

49697471547_377a6a78a3_b.jpg

An undersides (sorry for wide angle distortion) 

49696629913_5fc6a3a14c_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Regards

J-W

• Like 64
  • Thanks 3

Oh, my- that is one beautiful Stranraer, J-W! Very realistic weathering, too. Well done! A very elegant flying boat- sure glad Matchbox did it, as it's not one you would think would be a big money maker for a mainstream company...sure wish they had done more between-the-wars kits, as they are clearly their best releases!

Mike

Didn't realize they carried an ADF football on the upper wing! Neat touch!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Some did later on. The first ones didn't have any. Later on some were fitted with DF loops. 

49698040341_e7eb7e7c99_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

Excellent job on the Stranraer, J-W! I wish someone would come out with these wonderful between-the-war British flying boats in IM (in 1/72nd scale of course). Legend has it that Matchbox might have come out with some additional such boats if they had lasted longer (Matchbox, not the flying boats).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

You`ve done a lovely job on this one Jerzy,......love the subtle modifications too,...... I`d like to do a RCAF Stranny myself one day.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Gorgeous work J-W. That rigging looks amazing! Well, the whole thing looks amazing!

It is remarkable that these old birds soldiered on as long as they did. It kind of reminds me of the venerable RNZAF Singapores chugging around Fiji in 1942.

• Like 2

Well done, Brother.... Rare subject, heavily modified and extensively rigged.

BTW don't you think that a Southampton (or a Scapa at least) could be buildable from the same kit?

Ok, just kidding :)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2020 at 2:46 PM, 72modeler said:

Oh, my- that is one beautiful Stranraer, J-W! Very realistic weathering, too. Well done! A very elegant flying boat- sure glad Matchbox did it, as it's not one you would think would be a big money maker for a mainstream company...sure wish they had done more between-the-wars kits, as they are clearly their best releases!

Mike

Thank you! Indeed, the Stranraer, whan it was released by Matchbox in 1978 was a surprise for many modellers. Maybe it was and aftermath of appearance of her  in Hendon yhose years?  I remember my visit to Hendon some time about 1975 when I've learn about existance of this type.  I was teenager from Poland visiting in summer his Grandpa who lived in London but I thought before it that I know all WWII British types as a fan of airplanes....

On 3/25/2020 at 6:41 PM, dogsbody said:

Wow! That turned out great, J-W. Well done.

Thank you! Without your photos and discussion with you the results would be worse for sure :)

On 3/25/2020 at 8:25 PM, Learstang said:

Excellent job on the Stranraer, J-W! I wish someone would come out with these wonderful between-the-war British flying boats in IM (in 1/72nd scale of course). Legend has it that Matchbox might have come out with some additional such boats if they had lasted longer (Matchbox, not the flying boats).

Regards,

Jason

Thank you! The only hope for injected Singapor, Southampton or London as well as Larwick is in mid or east European short runs producers i am affraid to say...

On 3/26/2020 at 1:23 AM, tonyot said:

You`ve done a lovely job on this one Jerzy,......love the subtle modifications too,...... I`d like to do a RCAF Stranny myself one day.

Cheers

Tony

Thank you. I am sure that yours one will be excellent model :)

On 3/26/2020 at 5:28 AM, Gazontipede said:

Gorgeous work J-W. That rigging looks amazing! Well, the whole thing looks amazing!

It is remarkable that these old birds soldiered on as long as they did. It kind of reminds me of the venerable RNZAF Singapores chugging around Fiji in 1942.

Thank you, indeed, the Singapore would be nice to have. Still  it produced by Contrail, I think - so the only chance currently is a second hand one .

On 3/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, Vinnie said:

Lovely work, Jerzy although I think you're starting to show off with your rigging work now.:D

I just think the I should hurry up and do all biplanes from my stash before beeing more older... 

On 3/26/2020 at 7:13 AM, Baldy said:

Lovely Stranraer JW - the rigging in particular looks neat. Didn't realise that some Stranraers used 4 bladed props.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thank you. Since of total 57 build 40 were constructed in Canada and majority of them had four blades props, but in the thread on RCAF Stranraers we were not able to find up the rule, why some Canadians has 3 and some other four blades props. Maybe it is about the war time shortages?

Many of you noticed rigings - I done it in my recent variant, that I glued together upper wing after doing riging. When I glue the bottom part of upper wing the whole upper wing is set up together using Tamiya tape. This is a bit tricki to avoid glueing all by chance.  Some photos from build just to show critical steps:

49603815391_ba3dd5c96f_o.jpg

The 4 blades props are copied in resin from AZ Gauntlet (below right prop on above photo) and then extended as shown above.

49603311528_c4a2e0337b_o.jpg

49603311258_a4b7ce29fc_o.jpg

Please note that to do rigings I had to cut out wing above engines, just to have access to stretch EZ cable.

49641975512_55c514d30c_b.jpg

Mike, Dave, Chris, Jason, Markus, Tony, Gazotiped, Malcolm, Vinnie, Wulfman and Michał (Michael) - many thanks for your good words in your comments. I appreciate them all :).

Regards

J-W

• Like 6

J-W, I wouldn't mind if some of the East/Central European short-run manufacturers such as Azur, Amodel, or Modelsvit moulded some of these flying boats. Of course Special Hobby just recently made a post-war Sunderland - maybe they'll start going back in time with these flying boats. We can always hope. I do agree that these short-run producers are the only types of manufacturers likely to bring out any of these pre-war flying boats in IM plastic. But if someone did come out with a Perth or a Singapore, I might just learn how to rig!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

So nice to see a completed model not long after being part of an excellent and informative BM thread. That has turned out great and will inspire many more Stranraer hoarders to finally take the plunge and start their kits.

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looks lovely J-W, the Walrus style props really set it apart as a RCAF aircraft. 

I quite fancy doing one of the rare overall white ones,..... but those props are putting me off,...... so well done overcoming this obstacle,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1