New 1/48th Airfix Tiger Moth`s,....**FINISHED x 2***

On 4/29/2020 at 11:32 PM, The Spadgent said:

I find it really nice to work with. Super glue and blu-tac are your friend. Good luck sir.

Cheers mate,...... blue tac,..... hadn`t thought of that,......good tip! 

• Like 1

Right,.... a bit more progress,..... and it is looking more like a Tiggie now!

DSCF7737-NEW.jpg

DSCF7735-NEW.jpg

DSCF7738-NEW.jpg

I`ve since started another in order to build an all green RAAF Tiggie!

Other stuff on the go,......

A couple of Special Hobby P-40N Kittyhawks,..... both in Aussie markings;

DSCF7741-NEW.jpg

And,... a Special Hobby/Revell Havoc/Boston,..... with a Boulton Paul gun nose fitted,.....which will wear Royal Navy markings!

DSCF7739.jpg

Plus I still have the Hercules and the Special Hobby Sunderland Mk.V on the go,..... so plenty to keep me busy!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

blimey mate, you don't let the grass grow. The Tiger looks great there are a couple of Kiwi ones I want to do. Stay safe 

LOL,..... yeah cheers mate,....... the Tiggie is a lovely kit, you`ll love it and Hannants have a Kiwi one on their Commonwealth Tiger Moth sheet in 1/48th, overall yellow with red/blue B Type roundels,....I was quite tempted by that one. 

• Like 1

Knew you'd be straight on to this one Tony.

Looks like you got a good one too. My mate's one had the dreaded Airfix Short shot.  This time the rudder

Hope you're staying safe

Bruce

• Like 1

The Tiggie looks ace Tony great work.  The P40s look lovely too but a Navy Boston, WOW.  I never knew the Navy had them. I am doing an RAF Boston MkV at the moment myself.  I have put a lot of weight in but mine is still a tail sitter, at least you have the solid nose to pack it in. 

I am curious re the bluetac for when doing the rigging??? 

Great work on all fronts as usual fella.

All the best

Chris

17 hours ago, Norman said:

Looking good !

Thanks Norman.

13 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Knew you'd be straight on to this one Tony.

Looks like you got a good one too. My mate's one had the dreaded Airfix Short shot.  This time the rudder

Hope you're staying safe

Bruce

You know me Bruce!! At first I thought the cowling was short shot but it was actually shaped like that! Unfortunately for your mate,...Airfix will not be supplying replacement parts until after lock down,.... I contacted them due to the decals on my big Hellcat being cracked!

Yeah staying safe thanks mate,....... same with you I hope?

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Tiggie looks ace Tony great work.  The P40s look lovely too but a Navy Boston, WOW.  I never knew the Navy had them. I am doing an RAF Boston MkV at the moment myself.  I have put a lot of weight in but mine is still a tail sitter, at least you have the solid nose to pack it in. 

I am curious re the bluetac for when doing the rigging??? 

Great work on all fronts as usual fella.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,...... yeah the Navy quite a large number of Bostons/Havocs with 771 NAS up at Twatt in the Orkneys,.... they used them for practice attacks on the fleet. They started off with all black early Havoc`s, then moved onto Turbinlight`s and also had some standard Boston`s too. The one I`m making will be in the MSG/Dk. Green night fighter scheme with yellow codes. I`m still deciding whether to fit it with a flat screen fighter windscreen or stick with the curved Boston one in the kit!  I have a standard Boston at the painting stages as a SAAF bomber too,..... I packed the nacelles with weight but I generally don`t have much luck and end up propping up the tail! 

Blue Tac,....  to keep the thread in place in the dripped out hole until the super glue dries?

Cheers everybody,

Tony

• Like 3

Well this afternoon I bit the bullet,...... having had a mental block against rigging for around 2 years now,..... I got on and rigged the Tiggie! Thanks to my good mate Neil for providing me with a reel of Uschi rigging,.... it is nice stuff,...... if expensive and hard to get hold of!

Here we go then,.... 

Starting to add the rigging into the various holes etc;

DSCF7744-NEW.jpg

Half way there,...... one wing done and the rigging hanging loose on the other wing ready to tighten up;

DSCF7747-NEW.jpg

Both wings rigged;

DSCF7751-NEW.jpg

Top wing test fitted;

DSCF7752.jpg

And left for the night,.... a better photo away from my tea tray!

DSCF7774-NEW.jpg

And alongside the other Tiggie which will be an Aussie machine;

DSCF7776-NEW.jpg

I did attempt the RAAF Tiggie in 1/72nd scale but after snapping the struts on it multiple times during rigging,......it is now covered in dust and will be replaced by the 1/48th model hopefully!

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 8

Looking marvellous Tony, great work.  I have some of the Uschi thread but like rigging in invisible thread although I have just got some of the Prym elastic thread which I have yet to try, but it has a flat cross section .  

Thanks for the tip with the blue tac.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking marvellous Tony, great work.  I have some of the Uschi thread but like rigging in invisible thread although I have just got some of the Prym elastic thread which I have yet to try, but it has a flat cross section .  

Thanks for the tip with the blue tac.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,.... that Prym stuff sounds ideal for my larger models like the 1/32nd Gladiator,..... where do you get that from please mate?

• Like 1

Hm. Nice going so far Tony.  I received my two a couple weeks ago. Very impressed but a couple things I noticed that Airfix could have done or missed. I see that on the upper surface of the lower wing there are tiny , very tiny, impressions showing the rigging points Handy but none shown for the elevator cable entry points on the fuselage so these need to be determined as to positions somehow with referencing to good photos of this area. Also, it seems odd that only the starboard side entry doors/flaps are included as separate parts ... odd.   Regarding rigging there are to 'X' sets between the cabane struts in fron of the forward cockpit that need to be added too for completeness and if one feels like it the fuel line running from the bottom of the tank to a point just ahead of the forward fuselage to  wing  strut.

I have made a start on one of mine but found joining the fuselage halves was hindered by the cockpit assembly at the rear end of it so I needed to shave down the width of the floor and rear bulkhead a tiny bit in order to get a good join.  Has anyone else come across this??  

I have to add it hasn't put me off the kit as it is a beautiful kit of a lovely aeroplane.  As for finish on mine , I haven't decided yet but if I can find the right lettering will go for G-ACDC as it was when  I flew in her back in 1972.   I recall the Aeroclub 48th kit had these markings.

By the way, I believe  the Australian built Tigers had solid/'hard ' leading edges to the wings so the leading edge riblets on the kit need to be removed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,.... that Prym stuff sounds ideal for my larger models like the 1/32nd Gladiator,..... where do you get that from please mate?

No worries fella, I got mine on Ebay, look for Prym knitting in elastic and you get about 200m for just under £4. Will last for ages.  Got mine for my Gladiator and Sea Gladiator when it is released.  

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

Hm. Nice going so far Tony.  I received my two a couple weeks ago. Very impressed but a couple things I noticed that Airfix could have done or missed. I see that on the upper surface of the lower wing there are tiny , very tiny, impressions showing the rigging points Handy but none shown for the elevator cable entry points on the fuselage so these need to be determined as to positions somehow with referencing to good photos of this area. Also, it seems odd that only the starboard side entry doors/flaps are included as separate parts ... odd.   Regarding rigging there are to 'X' sets between the cabane struts in fron of the forward cockpit that need to be added too for completeness and if one feels like it the fuel line running from the bottom of the tank to a point just ahead of the forward fuselage to  wing  strut.

I have made a start on one of mine but found joining the fuselage halves was hindered by the cockpit assembly at the rear end of it so I needed to shave down the width of the floor and rear bulkhead a tiny bit in order to get a good join.  Has anyone else come across this??  

I have to add it hasn't put me off the kit as it is a beautiful kit of a lovely aeroplane.  As for finish on mine , I haven't decided yet but if I can find the right lettering will go for G-ACDC as it was when  I flew in her back in 1972.   I recall the Aeroclub 48th kit had these markings.

By the way, I believe  the Australian built Tigers had solid/'hard ' leading edges to the wings so the leading edge riblets on the kit need to be removed.

Some good info there,..... cheers Paul.

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries fella, I got mine on Ebay, look for Prym knitting in elastic and you get about 200m for just under £4. Will last for ages.  Got mine for my Gladiator and Sea Gladiator when it is released.  

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... is this the stuff? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRYM-Knitting-In-Elastic-200m-x-0-5mm-Invisible-Thread/303547902027?epid=2255388252&hash=item46acdd684b:g:AwsAAOSw339enZ~c

Cheers

Tony

24 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Some good info there,..... cheers Paul.

Thanks Chris,..... is this the stuff? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRYM-Knitting-In-Elastic-200m-x-0-5mm-Invisible-Thread/303547902027?epid=2255388252&hash=item46acdd684b:g:AwsAAOSw339enZ~c

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Yes that's the stuff, I got mine for cheaper , this is the item number if it helps 202334074848. It was quick delivery to and a pound cheaper.  I am not connected to the seller at all Tony.

Hope this helps

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Youse are killing me with these wonderful builds! :wub:

The colonies are still pining for pre-order fulfillment. Should have ordered from Hannants...

• Like 1

Here is the 2nd Model after a touch of paint,.... overall Foliage Green;

DSCF7896-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

And the first one is rigged and finished,....

tm1.jpg

tm2.jpg

DSCF7878-NEW.jpg

And here are more pis in RFI;

I`m really pleased with this kit and hope that it sells well for Airfix........ I`ll be cracking on with the 2nd model and may put updates here if anybody is interested,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

On 5/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, Greg Law said:

Very nice Tony. I'm really looking forward to doing a few of these. Particularly after seeing your build.

Cheers Greg,..... I`m on with a second one and the schemes are endless! 

Speaking of which,.... here is some progress on the second kit;

DSCF7896-NEW.jpg

And decals on,.... the after market decals were quite expensive and of poor quality,.... the roundels had a white surround and the blue washed away in places,..... while the code letters were the wrong style and too thick,.....so I replaced them with Xtradecal codes instead,..... so not impressed rally;

DSCF7903-NEW.jpg

DSCF7904-NEW.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 6

Great work on both Tony, the Royal Navy machine looks absolutely stunning and the Aussie one looks lovely too. Shame about the decals letting you down.  Looking very nice though with them in place.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1