New 1/48th Airfix Tiger Moth`s,....**FINISHED x 2***

Well I got a nice surprise yesterday when the post man brought me the new 1/48th Airfix Tiger Moth and what a beautiful kit it is,..... I started it straight away and here are some photos;

DSCF7311-NEW.jpg

DSCF7312-NEW.jpg

DSCF7313-NEW.jpg

Just thought people might like to see the model,.... I`ll get on with it shortly!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Looks nice Tony, love to see how it goes, wouldn’t mind one myself.  

Having said that with all this working from home malarkey, I thought I might get some surreptitious modelling time.  Not a chance...  Days are longer, volume of work greater... 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Build it Build It, Build it now!

I have tried to build the 1/72 version, but the nose thing defeated me last time and the general fiddliness didn't help either time.  I have unfortunately ground two frustrating attempts underfoot.  I am hoping that I am better at the 1/48 version, that might be more amenable to my hamfisted efforts!  

I would try to build an RAF Tiger Moth from the mid 1950s,  which my father briefly flew before being washed out.  I have noticed differing takes on the yellow wing bands on current flying examples and museum aircraft.  Some have wrapped around yellow trainer bands around both wings, others have just top bands on the top wing and bottom bands only on the bottom wing.  Does anyone have guidance on which is right please?

Finally has anyone seen a real Tiger Moth?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Looks nice Tony, love to see how it goes, wouldn’t mind one myself.  

Having said that with all this working from home malarkey, I thought I might get some surreptitious modelling time.  Not a chance...  Days are longer, volume of work greater... 

Cheers mate,...... yeah working from home can be hard,..... I`ve done it myself,....and you do end up working longer,.... sometimes better to set an alarm clock to remind you that you will be working in your own time if you carry on,....

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

That looks lovely! I might have to get one of these.

Thanks mate,.... yeah go and get one,....it is lovely.

44 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

Build it Build It, Build it now!

I have tried to build the 1/72 version, but the nose thing defeated me last time and the general fiddliness didn't help either time.  I have unfortunately ground two frustrating attempts underfoot.  I am hoping that I am better at the 1/48 version, that might be more amenable to my hamfisted efforts!  

I would try to build an RAF Tiger Moth from the mid 1950s,  which my father briefly flew before being washed out.  I have noticed differing takes on the yellow wing bands on current flying examples and museum aircraft.  Some have wrapped around yellow trainer bands around both wings, others have just top bands on the top wing and bottom bands only on the bottom wing.  Does anyone have guidance on which is right please?

LOL,.... yeah I`m `fettling' with it now! I struggled with the 1/72nd scale kit too,..... the struts were just too fragile and kept snapping,.....mine are still half built on t shelf of doom!

I would say that the bands were wrapped around both wings. 

I am lucky enough to have flown in a Tiger Moth at Duxford,...... with my wife and lad alongside in the Dragon Rapide,..... a very special birthday prezzie! Here I am just getting ready to take off;

IMG00273.jpg

Stay safe out there and thanks to everybody in essential jobs keeping the world going during these mad times.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 16

25 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Looking forward to seeing the first build. BTW, just how many have you got on the at the moment - I've seen a Mossie too! I wanted to watch

that unfold but I'm happy to wait.

Cheers,...... yeah I`ve got loads on the go at the moment,.... 2 x P-40`s, 2 x P-36`s, a Gladiator and Hercules in 1/72nd, P-40, Tiger Moth & Mossie in 1/48th and a P-40F and Gladiator in 1/32nd,.... keeping nice and busy at the moment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers,...... yeah I`ve got loads on the go at the moment,.... 2 x P-40`s, 2 x P-36`s, a Gladiator and Hercules in 1/72nd, P-40, Tiger Moth & Mossie in 1/48th and a P-40F and Gladiator in 1/32nd,.... keeping nice and busy at the moment. 

Blimey Tony, it's not a time to be cutting back!!!!!!🙂🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you mean the Garden Tiger Moth (Artica Caja), then yes, I do get them occasionally in my garden.

If you meant the dh 82 Tiger Moth, that's also a yes but I have to travel a few miles to get to the one I'm helping to restore. (Guess what scheme I'll be finishing my kit in?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

I think there's a recognizable pattern... Warhawks, Kittyhawks and/or Tomahawks seem to be right up your alley... 

As I'm thinking about the 48 Tiger Moth, I'll tag along if you'll have me. 

• Like 3

Mine arrived about twenty minutes ago!

I need to do some research before I start building, however, because I want to build a version from one of the Empire Flying Schools in Rhodesia, which don't seem to be very well documented.

• Like 2

Cheers folks,..... another quick update!

Cockpit together and inserted into the fuselage, I cut out the cockpit access doors on one side, leaving the other side untouched;

DSCF7319.jpg

The fuselage together and the lower wings test fitted,...... it looks very nice indeed,.... note the instructions,....a decision has to be taken next;

DSCF7321.jpg

Now if you want the anti spin strakes fitted,..... then some surgery has to be completed but Airfix provide a handy template/jig part to slide atop the fuselage which helps to determine the area of fuselage which needs to be removed/flattened down;

DSCF7323.jpg

Here the area has been sanded down,..... maybe I was a little heavy handed as I removed a tiny bit too much, despite the template!

DSCF7324.jpg

And with the sanding done,..... ready to add the tailplane;

DSCF7325.jpg

And the whole thing held together with tape to dry overnight;

DSCF7326.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 18

48288021252_41129de0d7_c.jpg

48288021162_f03bed3aab_c.jpg
Found one in my garden a number of years ago. :) 

I do have a SMER tiger moth kit in my stash :( may end up as a fox moth as we may already be in sows ear territory :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 12

Grrr!! I can't wait to get my pair I ordered, Will have to get them sent to me somehow from a fellow club member.  Looking forward to seeing this one ready to flutter.

• Like 1

Oh, hot off the injection moulding machine. Looks good indeed, interesting approach with the jig for the strake installation.

Hope to be able to get one soon (not counting on that at the moment).

Cheers

Markus

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I do have a SMER tiger moth kit in my stash :( may end up as a fix moth as we may already be in sows ear territory :) 

See? Everyone always says trainer yellow, but as they say: never trust a profile!  :P

The Smer kit, would that be the same mould as the MisterCruft one?

Thoughtful thing that jig btw, clever bit.

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

Easy tell is if it has the moulded-in serial numbers on wings & fuselage.

The AF Tiger Moth just made a jump on my wishlist, looks nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alt-92 said:

The Smer kit, would that be the same mould as the MisterCruft one?

MisterCruft???   Does that mean it's a 'dog' - :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Easy tell is if it has the moulded-in serial numbers on wings & fuselage.

I haven’t even opened the box. I erroneously bought t it to do as an Irish air corp model only to realise they flew the D.H. 60 not the Tiger, so it’s very much at the back of the que.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2