Desert Storms (1/72 Arma Hurricane IIc and I trops)

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've got a Spanish-made Mauser from the early 40's. I've had it since about '81.

36377805965_c5db919cec_b.jpg

36209696712_d720a69c83_b.jpg

Chris

Fancy! I'm picking up a 30-06 US Army-issue M1917 Enfield once my stimulus cheque comes in -- it's of course the US development of the P14 Enfield, and as such, offers a glimpse of an alternate future for British service rifles had they not stuck with the Lee action over the Mauser.  The last time I fired a Mauser rifle was in 2000, and it was a 7mm South American one. I don't recall liking it much.

Anyway, the models!

I mixed up a bunch of different red-brown pigments together with a fixative and applied them with a brush over the exhausts. It turned out okay-ish. 

PXL_20210103_200938845

I also added the cannon. I would have needed to drill out the fairings to get them in the locating holes, but I was feeling lazy, and so I just clipped the locating pins off the gun barrels and superglued them to the fairings. Worked fine.

Emboldened, I tried to use the same method to add better exhaust staining to the Hurricane I, and inadvertently proved you can have too much of a good thing:

PXL_20210103_200942752

PXL_20210103_200955504

Well, nobody's perfect. I'll just give it to the boys to trash next year anyway. Oh well.

Then it was time to add the pitots (which I normally forget to do), and the radio masts. 

PXL_20210103_201556001

However, at this moment, I was screwed by Past Edward, who does a lot of that to me, which is why I'm a fat suburban dad in America and not a penniless historian in Britain, and it seems that at some time in the past six months, I lost the radio mast for the Hurricane I. Ha. Ha ha ha. 

The only solution was to "pay it forward" and give future me a vigorous screwing:

PXL_20210103_205652955

I liberated a radio mast from another kit (and ordered a three-pack of Quickboost Hurricane radio masts from the 'bay):

PXL_20210103_210350013

Et voila!

PXL_20210103_211002414

nD2LWjO.gif

• Like 26

Time to figure out what to build next. 

PXL_20210103_232707501

PXL_20210103_232729971

PXL_20210103_232657425

My once mighty stash is just a sad little thing now. I feel strangely...diminished looking at it. I need to sell the Eduard 109 set to pay for some Airfix Spitfire Vcs I bought (and I've realized 1/48 just isn't my scale), and the Arma FM-2 isn't pictured because I was looking over it before. So...what to do, what to do?

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Procopius said:

.what to do, what to do?

PZL-11c..  or the Yak-1B,  something different for you.   If you did the Yak-1B you could do a VVS Hurricane to go with it, (I see a IIb lurking) and I'm sure you could find common pilot to do a PZ-11-Hurricane-Spitfire trio.....

• Like 3

A very nice pair of Hurricanes, and I particularly like the exhaust staining on the Mk1. Having seen photographs in the past of them with staining as you portrayed.

Looking forward to what ever you decide on next.

Stay safe       Roger

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 15:20, AliGauld said:

I well remember being on the range at RAF Leeming during a summer camp.

We were taking our marksmanship stuff with a Lee Enfield .303.

I was a very naïve 4'10" young lad and the Range Officer took one look at me and said "Prone position only, Sonny"

Just as well I had a huge bruise on my shoulder for quite a while, never felt a kick like it.

Still got my RAF Marksman's badge though.

Cheers,

Alistair

Proud of you Ali, as an ex Range Qualified CI I am very pleased you got your badge.

Well done that lad.

I am tending quite literally towards that Jungle number 5.

I would love hours of firing, tales of rapid fire with the Lee Enfield action keep resonating in my ancient head.

is Voltarol good for bruised shoulders?

PC the heavy exhaust staining looks exactly proper to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/3/2021 at 2:55 AM, Procopius said:

At some point I'm hoping to get one of the Polish-made Mauser rifles from the interwar period, but they're pricey here. That and a Vis 35. 

Good idea! It is said that many Polish Mausers captured in 1939 have been sent by Germans to Norway for occupational forces, and finally many of them are still used as anti-polar-bear rifles on Spitsbergen and similar places (obligatory equipment for all tourists there).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Good idea! It is said that many Polish Mausers captured in 1939 have been sent by Germans to Norway for occupational forces, and finally many of them are still used as anti-polar-bear rifles on Spitsbergen and similar places (obligatory equipment for all tourists there).

Up until 2 years ago, Canada's Rangers ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers ) used the Enfield .303 No. 4.

Chris

• Like 5