Desert Storms (1/72 Arma Hurricane IIc and I trops)

Trying something new here.

"Here we will stand and fight; there will be no further withdrawal. I have ordered that all plans and instructions dealing with further withdrawal are to be burnt, and at once. We will stand and fight here.

"If we can’t stay here alive, then let us stay here dead."

-- Lieutenant General Bernard Law Montgomery, GOC 8th Army, 13 August 1942

As I said above, I'm building two Arma Hurricanes; the "old" MkI kit, and their new MkIIc, which is supposed to be excellent. The latter aircraft was the mount of Canadian ace Bert Houle, and the MkI was a tropical filter-equipped aircraft of the land-based Royal Navy Fighter Squadron, an amalgamation of Nos 803, 805, and 806 squadrons, with 803 and 806 flying Hurricanes, and 805 flying some leftover Martlets intended for Greece; both 803 and 806 would eventually trade in their Hurricanes for Fulmar IIs in Ceylon, to their intense dismay. 

IMG_20200324_213223

I wanted to build the Arma kits to do my own small bit to remind people they exist, since right now Poland is more or less cut off from the rest of the world with the suspension of overseas deliveries by Polish Post. I note Arma are offering a gift card equal to 10% of your purchase towards a future purchase if you order from them, and they'll deliver as soon as human civilization returns to orderly functioning. I personally derive no benefit from this, I hasten to add, aside from the ability to continue buying Arma kits if we keep them afloat through this miserable garbage fire that's engulfed the world. So keep our friends in Poland in mind!

Anyway, I got a quick start today (after noticing that Winston had left my scalpel embedded in the armrest of my grotto chair when he'd been wrecking the Lysander...may have to neuter him to see if it cuts down on this sort of thing), by washing the sprues and then spraying some AK Extreme Metal Dull Aluminium on some of the relevant bits:

IMG_20200324_222121

It was nice to see that the clear parts sprue seems to be identical in both kits -- no need to change what works.

So here we go again.

• Like 32

Hello Edward... Yes please give us some more video’s. I love the opening and its string message of sadness. I may have a carb intake let me check the Hurricane spares pile. Will let you know tomorrow, maybe i can post it to you in exchange for the SAAF Decals and the Airfix F-84. I still have that ejection seat of yours so will send it on anyways. Though I will need an address for Hedgehog Hall. 

Dennis

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Edward... Yes please give us some more video’s. I love the opening and its string message of sadness. I may have a carb intake let me check the Hurricane spares pile. Will let you know tomorrow, maybe i can post it to you in exchange for the SAAF Decals and the Airfix F-84.

No need for the carb intake, as the Vokes filter will cover that area on the Hurricane I! Happy to send along the SAAF decals and the F-84, though. Just remind me of your addy via PM. 

• Like 1

Another positive vote for the video PC - nice to see you! :) 

That said, I must admit I'd rather see your chin(s) than the huge, enviable stash and surrounding grotto. Perhaps you could practice that weird 'chin forward' pose that the girls use in all their photos?

Worried about the scalpel find… I guess it could have been worse if Winnie had stuck it into himself rather than the chair :sad:

I'm in, of course…

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Very nice to see you and the Grotto sir. I quite enjoyed seeing the absolutely massive electrical switch board behind you.  The likes of which are only found in my mind from mid 80s and 90s horror movies. Now located behind your good self in build videos. 👨‍🔧

Great first pics. I really need to set up my tent too.

I’ll tag along if I may.

John. 😃

Great video & introduction to your builds.

You clearly put a lot more thought in to your modelling than most, which is refreshing and inspiring.

I appreciate your time and effort in doing so. 

Cheers Greg 👍

Interesting and of course entertaining video PC. Maybe you should do more! I Will follow these Arma Hobby builds closely. A friend of mine was extolling the virtues of these releases just a few weeks back at the Bovington show, which is barely 10 miles from my home. I have been a very frequent visitor there, but alas for now, can no longer do so. Seems like a different world now .............

Nice to finally see a face to go with all the educational. informative, and entertaining posts. But I would highly advise getting a locking door on your workshop area ASAP in order to prevent young Winston from further access to your modeling tools. There is no telling what harm he could do to himself and others should he again find the scalpel, even accidentally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in - I have one of the Arma Hurricane Mk.! kits here in the stash, and I'm anxious to see how it goes together. Loved the vid, I think you may have a future in social media.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 4

I am just finishing the building of a Arma Hurricane IIc and it went together quite nicely. It's different to most kits in the way it goes together and I wasn't sure about it all working but it does.

Only problem I encountered was the fit of the cockpit, I built it according to instructions and then I couldn't get the fuselage halves to close. An evening of filing to get it to fit was required as a result the pilots seat looks a bit off centre but it will probably be covered up when the canopy is fitted.

By the way my kit had a cutting template for making a canopy mask, forget about using it it's the wrong size.

Hey PC!

Up and running again, what a guy! Just watch out where those scalpels go...........

And love the video too, you have a career choice here mister

Alistair Cooke, bless him I had almost forgotten Sunday mornings listening to his well modulated tones. Aaaahhhh

All the best with the Hurri's, will follow keenly

Geoff

• Like 1

I think I should avoid making videos going forward, since they tend to replace writing about the build, and are, I think, way less useful in helping someone find out about a kit's idiosyncracies.

The whistlestop of my life this past week:

1. We had three gas leaks and were without heat for 48 hours. 

2. Grant got a second-degree burn from Mrs P's French Press (so now I'm not the only person who hates that stupid thing) and had to go to the ER. He's okay now, but has to have his wrist bandaged for the time being.

3. Winston is a beast.

4. Longer letter later.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2