F-16 STGB Part Deux Chat

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

but at least on a good note I finished the Sufa on the weekend   :thumbsup:  ....... just need now to take some nice photos of her!

Pics or it didn't happen.  :bleh:

• Haha 2

for that you'll only get tiny ones for now!!  :tease:

IMG_6054-S.jpg

IMG_6056-S.jpg

IMG_6057-S.jpg

IMG_6058-S.jpg

IMG_6059-S.jpg

was trying to do some natural light photos but sun was too low!

Will do the final ones later in the week.

• Like 6

Looking for some colour help on my Desert Storm build, specifically the radome shade. In the photos that @mungo1974 the radome looks far darker than the suggested shade in the Hi-Decal instructions or any F-16 standard colour schemes I can find on the net saving one labelled it as FS26231 or FS27038 which of course is black. The photo of the one after the scheme was cleaned off, I'd hate to try & model that scruffiness, is more a dark gray & from what I know of earlier F-16s, this one was a block 25 machine, radomes could be black or gray.  I admit I'm quite keen on a black one but if dark gray, what shade would be most likely, it looks a lot darker than FS36320 which is the Hi-Decal recommendation to me. :unsure:

Steve.

Decided to go with Humbrol 164, Dark Sea grey, according to Migammo, their Fs26231 is the equivalent to BS638, Dark Sea Grey, near enough for me & while not black, dark enough to be significantly darker than the F-16 airframe grays which is how the beast looks. Problem solved. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

I don't know if I can help with the actual colour of the radomes but I do know there was a huge variation in the colour of them. They seemed to fade quite easily, I guess it comes down to the age and conditions they operated under.

You should be quite safe to use any of the greys that a similar in tone. Below shows the variations, notice there's even slight variations in the overall colours of some of them as well. 

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-us-air-force-f-16-fighting-falcon-aircraft-from-the-119th-maintenance-129315336.html

There is a good discussion on the topic here with some good examples as well.

https://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5914

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Rich, very useful. The second last aircraft in the line up in the 1st link has a fairly dark one a bit like what I'm modelling, I'll get the underside colours on & then see what looks best, Hu 140 is another option perhaps.

Steve.

• Like 1

Tried this in the reference section but i dont think anyone goes there.

so here goes, maybe chat is better:

Does anyone know of a good source of photos for weathering references?

i need underside hydraulic leaks etc, and upper surface weathering in different degrees

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

Hey!!!! are you guy's trying to "click-bate" me?!?!? :rant:

I look at this site and  just saw this amazing scheme........ and I'd love to do it..... dam you guys!!!  :angry:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/254902/M/USA-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-F-16C-Fighting-Falcon/94-0047/

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I look at this site and  just saw this amazing scheme........ and I'd love to do it..... dam you guys!!!  :angry:

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/254902/M/USA-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-F-16C-Fighting-Falcon/94-0047/

Off a shopping we will go.... :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Yes, very pretty, but challenging to replicate...  good luck with that 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to use the GB's as a booster for my SoD Projects and will therefore, where applicable finish old project rather than start new ones, even if this might be at odds with the 25% rule. Still as long as there are no prizes involvec, or this does not contradict the ideas of the GB (think Blitzenbuild) it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I have the Dutch 50 Years of NATO F-16 MLU in the works (fuselage build up. not painted yet though, and intend to use the final week of the GB to take her from limbo to looker.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

I decided to use the GB's as a booster for my SoD Projects and will therefore, where applicable finish old project rather than start new ones, even if this might be at odds with the 25% rule. Still as long as there are no prizes involvec, or this does not contradict the ideas of the GB (think Blitzenbuild) it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I have the Dutch 50 Years of NATO F-16 MLU in the works (fuselage build up. not painted yet though, and intend to use the final week of the GB to take her from limbo to looker.    

you're fine to continue building her here, the only thing is she will not be eligible for the gallery. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

you're fine to continue building her here, the only thing is she will not be eligible for the gallery. 

Watch my fiendish plan, as I will leave just leave the pitot tube off, in order to finish her for the KUTA gallery.

Muha hahahaha.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Watch my fiendish plan, as I will leave just leave the pitot tube off, in order to finish her for the KUTA gallery.

Muha hahahaha.

now there's an idea!! :wicked:

Well that's it folks it's all over!!!

A big thank you to all those who joined in the build, whether you managed to complete your build or not, it was a real pleasure to have you all along for it.:thumbsup:

There were/are some amazing builds here and quite a few I be very proud to claim as my own. I've been hosting GB's for quite some time now and there quality of builds is improving with each GB. So you all can give yourself a well deserved pat on the back for such great models.

I enjoyed the build and hosting it and hope everyone else did as well.

I'll try a get a poll up a bit later today.

Again, think you to everyone that joined in the build!  :worthy:

• Like 5