F-16 STGB Part Deux Chat

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Yes please, I've a stack of F-16 kits & should give this a go. :)

Steve.

welcome along and don't forget to put the start date in your dairy diary.

Edited by trickyrich
I am an idiot!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 4:26 AM, trickyrich said:

welcome along, unfortunately there is a wee wait until this build starts.......but that I've you plenty of time to add to the collection! :thumbsup:

I may have added a Hasegawa -CJ kit and a Revell MLU kit since you've said this. >.>

Oh, and these.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Having recently bought decals for a 1/48 Danish F-16A (or B), I'm in! I just have to find a kit first. My primary goal is to build a two-seater, but the Hasegawa release seems to be hard to find. But otherwise it will be a one-seater. So put me up for this one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

What date?

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the starting date of the STGB

And you thought your luck had changed. Or was that the Rohypnol kicking in?

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Rich Quick question, Would the Mitsubishi F-2 be allowed in the build ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-2

Its based on the design of the F-16 but larger in all dimensions, similar to the super hornet idea. 

Hi Dennis, from memory I allowed it for the last one, the rules for this STGB will be exactly the same as the last one (I hosted that one as well), as I'm lazy! 

Will go back and drag those rules up.

• Thanks 1

Ok I've found the original rules I had for the last F-16 STGB:

#2 - The build subject is the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon (it’s original name) and all of its model variations. Plus I will allow the Mitsubishi F-2 as it’s a F-16 on steroids!

Ok one extra for some which I know will make happy, I will allow "proper operational" WhatIf schemes for the F-16XL, plus any current (or past) weapon loadouts. 

What this means is the F-16XL scheme has to be one that is currently on (or was on) an F-16. So who will be the first to do an F-16XL in an Israeli F-16I Sufa scheme?   That would've been me if I wasn't building a 1/32nd beast.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

In anticipation I had a closer look at the kit I have in mind for this GB and I was hoping for your advice on some aftermarket goodies.

24e9344f9d023d57125b82945925850d.jpg

@Mike did an excellent review and WIP on this exact kit back in 2010 and suggested that a resin cockpit seat was to be considered.

So my first question would be which aftermarket seat to go for? 

Obviously before ordering a resin seat it would be good to know that the seat would fit into the Kinetic 1/48 F-16 cockpit, without too much modification possible spoiling the details of the seat. 

There is a Eduard Brassin ED648013 set on Hannants for around 6 GBP  (https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED648013?result-token=aDHLC) which apparently is to be used with the Kinetic F-16 kits. Does anyone have any experience with this kit please?

My second question is regarding cockpit panel stencils. The kit comes without them, but with some rather detailed panels to be painted.

60f98beff6bfb079472e691f5eb9da8a.jpg

I am seriously not very good at brush painting knobs and switches, so I was wandering if there would be a nice aftermarket cockpit panels stencils set available, which would possible fit this kit? 

My third concern is the stencil sheets provided with the kit. Overall they are looking very crisp, except for the UAE AF roundels and fin flash. On the roundels the black centre dot is off centre and on the fin flash the red stripe doesn’t align with the black and green stripes of the UAE flag.

3e9e8fe9f5e0ec1c7522152556bdd2eb.jpg

So recommendations for some quality UAE markings in 1/48 would be great please? 

I only need the insignia, as the rest of the stencils are looking quite good.

I did see this one from Model Alliance on Hannants, https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ML48185?result-token=6yATa, (better picture on Scalemates, https://www.scalemates.com/kits/model-alliance-ma-48185-world-air-power--997961), anybody having experience with Model Alliance decals please? 

There is also a set from Zotz (ZTZSP5), but here you will have to place the black centre dot yourself, which would likely end up looking worse, than the Kinetic decals I already have 😉

I will also have a look at what kind of weapons options the UAE are using on their F-16, but the kit seems to be well supplied with both extra tanks and AIM, AGM, GBU, etc., so this doesn’t appear to be a big issue for now. 

8f7cac9ddd8eb788fb88ac086782d0c9.jpg

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated !!

Johnny b 

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

My second question is regarding cockpit panel stencils. The kit comes without them, but with some rather detailed panels to be painted.

60f98beff6bfb079472e691f5eb9da8a.jpg

I am seriously not very good at brush painting knobs and switches, so I was wandering if there would be a nice aftermarket cockpit panels stencils set available, which would possible fit this kit? 

For that lovely cockpit detail I'd suggest dry-brushing to highlight it.

• Thanks 1

I don't know of anyone that does a cockpit for this version/model yet.

Quinta Studio do do a lovely 3D Decal set for the F-16C, but only for Hasegawa & Tamiya models so don't know what would be involved in using them...... plus version. One would sort of assume that the cockpit for the C & E might only have very minor differences. Does the E model have the new super wide HUD?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quinta-studio-qd48037-f-16--1300773

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I don't know of anyone that does a cockpit for this version/model yet.

Quinta Studio do do a lovely 3D Decal set for the F-16C, but only for Hasegawa & Tamiya models so don't know what would be involved in using them...... plus version. One would sort of assume that the cockpit for the C & E might only have very minor differences. Does the E model have the new super wide HUD?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quinta-studio-qd48037-f-16--1300773

Thanks a lot @trickyrich, that does indeed look very good. Not sure about the HUD, but it does look rather big on this photo here?

9 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks a lot @trickyrich, that does indeed look very good. Not sure about the HUD, but it does look rather big on this photo here?

You could probably get away with using it, 99.99% of the people wouldn't notice the difference........ just that annoying 0.01%er!!!  :D

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...