An unusual SAAB

Roland Pulfrew

Decisions, decisions.  Bit of a late arrival to the GB, sorry, but normally love Nordic topics.  Now that I’ve (finally) finished my Lancaster B2 project, it’s time to switch attention.  As I’m still at work at present, I guess I might not finish this by the deadline, so I was torn between starting a J-21, doing the Strv 103 that I originally signed up to, or finishing a couple of old projects which are well overdue. I don’t think there’s any chance of me completing the Strv by the finish date, so J-21 or finish the Spits?

49695823547_6f4a95b698_b.jpg

• Like 5

welcome along with another of those early wee Saab jets!

It's never too late to join, we're only just over the 1/2 way point so still plenty of time for a build or 2 or 3 or more which seems to be quite common here. I blame the Nordicvirus for that!

Good luck with the build, and hope you have fun.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, Col. said:

Your two Spits are well along so I'd say start the J21 then work on the Spits while bits of the J21 are drying ;) 

Damn, you saw right through me 😄 Can’t resist starting a new kit, I’m just rubbish at finishing them.  Here we go then, I’ll start with the usual pics:

49698737372_f440540876_b.jpg

49698737542_8f06825485_b.jpg

Some nice looking detail

49697899678_44f2cfdabc_b.jpg

49698737262_df6f4a5998_b.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Marlin is doing a J21-A- currently on Page 1, & Christer's build of both -A and -R versions is currently on page 3 - might be worth checking those out for colours etc.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

If the photos in MMP Books title on the subject are anything to go by the majority of the cockpit is the same green as the exterior with the exceptions of the framework around the instrument panel in what looks a lot like British interior green, black for a panel containing two dials and their associated switches in the upper centre of the instrumant panel along with the two switches just below that and the rotary selector right of the latter, then some orange around the edges of the two trim wheels beside the throttle. Hope this helps a bit.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Very saddened to admit that work commitments and living in 3 different locations over the last 7 weeks have defeated me, I guess I’m not going to make the deadline - again 🙄.  Still just to prove all is not lost, there has been some progress 🙂

49895531126_c9a678c14c_b.jpg

it is at least starting to look like a J-21 

• Like 6

that's a shame to hear, but I think this my be a case with many.

The build threads will still be open so feel free to update it when you can.

Thank you for joining us. :thumbsup: 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, trickyrich said:

The build threads will still be open so feel free to update it when you can.

Thank you for joining us. :thumbsup: 

Thanks @trickyrich.  I will try and finish it now I’ve started it. The Nordic countries are some of my favourite subjects for building, but it seems like decades ago that I did my last splinter Viggen (oh damn, it is). 

Perhaps if I’d spent less time watching other threads and more time building, I would have done better 🤦🏻

• Like 1

Don't worry, I purposely decided to only do one build as I knew running this GB would just eat up lots of build time and it did!

Please update your thread, there's bound to be interest in seeing her completed.

There's always the Pt 2 to satisfy your desire to build more Nordic subjects! :D

18 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Perhaps if I’d spent less time watching other threads and more time building, I would have done better 🤦🏻

A few of us can say the same :lol: 

I had completely missed this one! I'm so sorry.:blush:

You've stalled at one of the trickiest points in the entire kit. That darn boom to wing connection....I had less than stellar result with my two kits, but that might be due to the fact that I attached the landing gear roof a little early.

Testfit A LOT here!

It will save a lot of sanding and swearing later...

I hope you manage to finish it in any case!

On 5/18/2020 at 12:39 AM, trickyrich said:

Please update your thread, there's bound to be interest in seeing her completed.

There's always the Pt 2 to satisfy your desire to build more Nordic subjects! :D

Thanks @trickyrich I have now managed to find a little more time so she’s coming together.

49912002962_38ac179743_b.jpg

49911707476_7117df2fc8_b.jpg

I really look forward to a Nordic Pt 2 GB. I still have quite a few Scandinavian subjects In the stash to build! 😇

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christer A said: A LOT here!

That darn boom to wing connection....I had less than stellar result with my two kits, but that might be due to the fact that I attached the landing gear roof a little early.

I hope you manage to finish it in any case!

Thanks @Christer A Wing boom fit not too bad. A little filler required but not too bad on the whole. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Still going. Decided to try out my new H & S airbrush on the J-21. Wow it burns through paint!! Going to take a while getting the pressures right, particularly on the 0.4 nozzle.    One annoying aspect is I keep getting a build up of paint on the top of the nozzle, which means splatter or pausing and cleaning every few seconds.  I assume that’s a slightly bent needle, which is annoying for a new airbrush.

I’ve used Tamiya XF-82 on the lower surfaces and Model Air 71.010 on the top surfaces. To my eye they seem reasonable matches although the Tamiya may be a little dark.

49967966876_340e5de7c4_b.jpg

49967453688_ac5b39855a_b.jpg

• Like 2

A little more progress again tonight. Following yesterday’s splatter painting, I’ve given the previous top coat a rub down with wet’n’dry and adjusted the pressure on my H&S airbrush and tried a new top coat.

Much happier now.

49971229673_ca09ccdd26_b.jpg

49972006622_2f2e6b8264_b.jpg

Now going to give it a good 24 hours to dry, then a bit of masking before redoing the lower surfaces. Looking at reference picture, I think my choice of Tamiya XF-82 is a bit too dark, and maybe not blue enough

Saab J 21R F7- röd N

• Like 2

nice progress, she looks good with paint on. :thumbsup:

That brush will take a bit of time to get use to, she's an amazing tool. For 1/72nd and even 1/48th I'd drop down to the 0.2mm needle set, you'll find you'll have less dramas with the paint finish and use way less paint. I use this even for 1/32nd beasts, i this scale I can play around with patchy finishes really easily.

Plus she works the best with a mix of 50:50 paint-thinners, though you can take the thinners up to 95% for really fine misting effects. You will find too that you can start to drop the pressures and flow too with the really thinned paint, which then allows you to slowly buildup the colour to suit your needs.

If you're worries the needle is bent just run some water through it al look at the pattern, quickest way to tell. I use to get bad buildup on the nozzle but using thinner paint help, though it is something to watch out for.

But experiment with it, it's such an awesome airbrush, gosh I now use mine for 90-95% of all my painting on a build.....even to do just one small part....I know quite sad!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

And slowly she creeps forwards!! Been having a mare with the etched metal parts, and one or two may have fallen foul of the carpet monster 🤦🏻 Still I’ve started decalling and am following my new policy of doing all of the fiddly little ones before doing the large and colourful ones. Just the undercarriage, canopy and varnish to go now 

50088838483_df9085b06f_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...