Hawker Typhoon double stack rockets.

Doug

Hi all, sorry but another boring Typhoon question, I have seen several photos of late war Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b's with double rows of rockets, 12 instead of the normal 8, do I take it that only the two inner rocker rails could have double rockets as I have only seen photo's of this, or could all four rails be used with this doubling up?

Looks to be that way.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.249188743.1031173

Armourers fit two extra 60-lb rocket-projectiles to the four normally carried on the wing rails of Hawker Typhoon Mark IB, MN178 'PR-V', of No. 609 Squadron RAF at B77/Gilze-Rijen, Netherlands. The ability of the Typhoon to carry twelve instead of eight RPs was, however, little-used.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.44716452.10311739

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Excellent photos, thanks! The deletion of one fin on each RP so they can be tightly stacked seems straightforward enough. Working out the ignition arrangement seems less obvious though, it looks like the igniter wires join the two motors. So could these inboard pairs be launched individually, or did they launch as a pair?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

The deletion of one fin on each RP so they can be tightly stacked seems straightforward enough.

Well, I'll be! I never noticed that until you pointed it out- good eye!

Mike

• Thanks 1

I have just found a picture in The Hawker Typhoon and Tempset by Francis k Mason,

Page 52.It shows MN 861 with a full load of double stacked rockets.This may have just been a trial installation though.

Edited by fatalbert
Spelling mistake