P-51C Mustang Racer, NX5528N, 1949 - 1953

Here I present my recently completed Mustang that was built as part of the P-51 Mustang STGB but first a little detail.

'Thunderbird' was purchased from James M. Stewart for "$1 with other considerations" by Jackie Cochran. This aircraft was made from salvaged parts from other aircraft of the same type and was given a civil registration of NX5528N. Between 1949 and 1953, two more speed records were made and in 1953, 'Thunderbird' was sold back to Jimmy Stewart...for "$1 with other considerations".

The build uses the second Mustang from Hasegawa's 'dual' kit and was built primarily OOB. Images showed that this racer had its propeller blades replaced with HS uncuffed 'paddle' blades and these were not included in the kit, so a resin replacement from Quickboost was obtained although the blade tips needed 'rounding off'. The instructions detail what needs to be deleted/ filled for a racer but like most/ all Mustang kits, they omit the requirement to fill the wing panel lines to 40% chord due the laminar wing, so this was also done. After being primed with Halfords Primer, the model was painted using Vallejo and Tamiya Acrylics and finished off with the kit decals.

IMG-8684.jpg

IMG-8685.jpg

IMG-8686.jpg

IMG-8687.jpg

IMG-8688.jpg

IMG-8689.jpg

IMG-8690.jpg

IMG-8691.jpg

IMG-8692.jpg

Build log here:

Thanks for looking

Stay safe.

Stuart

• Like 33

Mighty fine!  One dollar and other consideration was how we always filled out the FAA bill of sale form.  No sense letting the government know what we were doing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Another cracker! Be careful, you’re going to set off a boom of racers if you’re not careful!

The painting this one is outstanding, and the canopy masking is especially crisp. Very impressive work, thanks for sharing with us. 

• Thanks 1

That's beautifully done! Looks so crisp and shiny, what a lovely aircraft. So glad you got it finished. 

I wonder what 'other considerations' meant back then...😉

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

6 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

boom of racers

I have my stash racers but got to get other things done first.

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

'other considerations'

Must be some kind of tax dodge I should imagine, @jeaton01 seems to know all about it.

Stuart

• 6 months later...