1/72 ZTS Plastyk Lynx as XZ221/J Operation Desert Storm

spacer.png

This is the ZTS Plastyk kit boxed as 'Battlefield Lynx'.   Out of the box, it represents an AH7 with BERP blades and IR exhaust diffusors.   It's reputedly got a few inaccuracies but it's the only kit I've seen of the Lynx with those exhausts and TOW missiles.

I built the kit up as XZ221/J of 654 Squadron Army Air Corps in the Operation Desert Storm. I'm not sure if she was the only Lynx to take out a tank but she is apparently the only one that wore noseart.  The decals are from Modeldecal set 115.

At the time, XZ221 was not fully configured as a production AH7.  I don't know about engines and internals but she had the original type of main rotor.  So the main rotor on this model is taken from the Airfix AH1 kit.   The tail rotor  on the AH7 rotated clockwise unlike the earlier Lynxes. This is something ZTS Plastyk got wrong in the kit - they have the original style anti-clockwise tail rotor.   So I reshaped the blades slightly and put it on back to front!   Various other bits done were: scratch built something to represent the sand filters on the air intakes, made some bench type seats for the main cabin, improved the footwell windows (kit parts were a very poor fit so I filled over them with UV setting clear glue) and added some tiny RWRs.  One thing I didn't notice until late was the rear undercarriage struts slope forwards when they should be vertical and so she sits a bit tail down but it was too late to fix - so please ignore that bit.

David
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

That’s the first one of these I’ve seen built!! You’ve done a great job on a less than stellar kit. I think the only other option is the Air Graphics conversion of the old Airfix Lynx. Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Harrywilliams said:

That's a very nice model you've made. I'm currently building my eighth lynx at the moment, a Lynx mk.9A before I build a wildcat. 

Thank you.  I'll keep an eye out for yours here.

David

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, djos said:

You done great job with not so nice initial plastic.

Well done

Regards Djordje

Thank you.   No, it's not the world's best kit but I enjoyed building it.

David