Eduard Bf-109 in 1/72nd scale...

John Masters

Then it's an Iron Knight's Cross... 😉 As already mentioned, I would rather have the main wheels and the MG 17 (Eduard Brassin ED672315) in the box than this nonsense. 😏

But life is unfortunately not a pony farm...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Eduard changed the decal selection again. Bob now has the yellow 3, Nowotny has the yellow 8. Also included are Gerlitz, Priller and I think Wurmheller. Thank God not this Knight's Cross.😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Troitzsch said:

Eduard changed the decal selection again. Bob now has the yellow 3, Nowotny has the yellow 8. Also included are Gerlitz, Priller and I think Wurmheller. Thank God not this Knight's Cross.😉

On 5/5/2023 at 12:49 PM, Troitzsch said:

Then it's an Iron Knight's Cross... 😉 As already mentioned, I would rather have the main wheels and the MG 17 (Eduard Brassin ED672315) in the box than this nonsense. 😏

But life is unfortunately not a pony farm...

You doesnt realy like that cross. :D

It's not the cross or what it stands or should stand for, what bothers me is who donated it and what ideology is associated with that person. 😒

It also bothers me how this person destroyed the world and Germany.

I just hate dictatorships and dictators because it's always the "normal" people who pay for what these stinkers do. 😠

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately, my high hopes were disappointed. 😞

Let's start with the hulls. Unfortunately, there is no fuselage with the special wing-fuselage transitions for the announced serial number 5628 (main identification SG+GW) shown in the set of decals. 😲

Next there are the undersides of the wings. There were no MG 131s in the F version, except for Galland's field conversion. Why the case ejection shafts for MG 131s, the later G-5 to G-14, are shown on the underside of the wing is not clear to me. The maintenance hatch for the FuG 25a under the fuselage was also first available with the G-2 version. 😒

Then, the already mentioned additional windscreen armor. This is designed separately for gluing to the windscreen and, in my opinion, makes no sense on this scale. Why can Spezial Hobby model something like this for their E version and Eduard can't do it?

Eduard had the opportunity to offer the first error-free kit of a Bf 109 F in 1/72 to the model building community and, in my opinion, unfortunately missed this opportunity. A pity.😢

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Troitzsch said:

Unfortunately, my high hopes were disappointed. 😞

But you know that you can download the manual in pdf from the manufacturer's website, right? Then your "dilemmas" would hurt less.
The things that don't suit you are well thought out. One by one:

Let's start with the hulls. Unfortunately, there is no fuselage with the special wing-fuselage transitions for the announced serial number 5628 (main identification SG+GW) shown in the set of decals. 😲

This detail is characteristic of very early machines and I believe they did not see the economic justification to make a plastic separate fuselage, so they gave a strip in the form of PE for gluing. I think this is a reasonable decision to keep the price of the kit low. Well done, Eduard.

YQyOMPcl.png

Next there are the undersides of the wings. There were no MG 131s in the F version, except for Galland's field conversion. Why the case ejection shafts for MG 131s, the later G-5 to G-14, are shown on the underside of the wing is not clear to me. The maintenance hatch for the FuG 25a under the fuselage was also first available with the G-2 version. 😒

The holes are plugged in the model, of course, from the outside you will have to fill the lines. I think that this solution was again dictated by economy, this wing will be used in G versions where the holes will be useful. Again, I think Eduard did the right thing and these are good solutions.

What do you mean when you write about the FuG 25 access cover? Under the Bf-109 fuselage there was a compass and control access cover and this is what I see in the model. Correct for the F version (and others).

aNFAoXwl.png

Then, the already mentioned additional windscreen armor. This is designed separately for gluing to the windscreen and, in my opinion, makes no sense on this scale. Why can Spezial Hobby model something like this for their E version and Eduard can't do it?

The optional glued-on armored glass provides the possibility of making a windscreen in both variants (up-armored and "light"). Again, I think this is a thoughtful decision.

I think SH's solutions are different because they were cost-effective in their technology. With modern modeling glues, attaching the glass is not difficult, unless you feel like complaining, then yes.

KdogmFNl.png

Eduard had the opportunity to offer the first error-free kit of a Bf 109 F in 1/72 to the model building community and, in my opinion, unfortunately missed this opportunity. A pity.

Are you sure this opinion is well thought out? Check yourself instruction

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Troitzsch said:

Eduard had the opportunity to offer the first error-free kit

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an 'error-free kit'.

How many errors a kit has (or 'has', because very often they are imaginary errors) depends entirely on the person who evaluates that kit. And if such a person wants to find a reason to complain, he will find one.

The model has certain solutions due to the technology in which it is produced? These can be considered as an error, because why not. The fact that they result from the laws of physics, e.g. plastic flow, structural strength and so on, does not prevent criticism. Thus, an 'error' can be a fuselage wall that is too thick (even though thinner ones cannot be used), a landing gear that is too thick (even though thinner ones will break) or a detail that is too fat (even though a finer one cannot be injected).

The kit doesn't have an XYZ version of which only 5 aircraft were produced? The reviewer may start complaining that the manufacturer did not include 'this important version', even though the other versions were made in the hundreds. After all, why take into account the profitability of a project when you can preach left, right and centre that it is the company's duty to make everything and then some.

Could Eduard produce a model that included separate parts for every possible version, variant and modification of the Bf 109? Yes, from a technical point of view this is possible. Would it be cost-effective? Of course not, because instead of 14 they would have to make 40 moulds, so the box would cost 3-4 times more.

The model doesn't match reviewer's beloved plans? The drama, the crime, the end of the world as we know it. When a designer superimposes plans on top of each other, sometimes the position of the wings differs on the top view from their position in the side view, but this is something the critic does not know. By the way, critics can even criticise models that are created on the basis of factory documentation, including original technical drawings.

And all of this appears in various reviews, written in different languages and in different countries. Quite often written in the tone of such an all-knowing expert, who not only designed and built this plane / tank / car himself, but also has at least one in the garage.

The reviewers can complain about absolutely everything and many of them are more than happy to complain, usually even before the model is built, because this makes the reviewer an "expert". This has become so common that we can even speak of a trend. It is no longer necessary to know about the vehicles in question, the history, the markings or the modelling technologies. To be an authoritative figure, it is enough to complain loudly.

Of course, this does not mean that manufacturers are without flaws. Just as there are no error-free models, there are no error-free manufacturers and no error-free reviewers. Even error-free errors do not exist in this world.

Edited by Piotr Mikolajski
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

First of all, I would like to emphasize that I am very happy and grateful to finally have a good Bf-109 in the F version, available at a good price-performance ratio. I also gave my personal opinion. Not everyone has to like these. Mea culpa maxima.
My disappointment is that Eduard appreciated every possible variant with its own fuselage or wing part for the FW 190 in 1/72. As an example FW 190 A-5: wing with MG FF, wing without MG FF. Another example FW 190 A-8 fuselage normal, fuselage A-8/R8 with additional armor. Here, too, Eduard could have included the additional armor as a PE or PUR part for cost reasons. But there was a new hull for the "Stormchaser".
Again, I'm not talking about counted rivets or the depth of the panel joints, I'm talking about things that would have made the kit a little more customer friendly. I personally don't like spatula, sanding and engraving orgies. Maybe I was just spoiled by the FW 190 and expected something equivalent for the Bf-109F. 😧

• Like 5

I was also a bit disappointed by the lack of a proper "very early" F fuselage, which was initially hinted at in the provisional instructions (that actually showed three wings and fuselages sprues, 2 of the same kind (L) and another one called K in the box content) 

I was really hoping that the L sprues were the F2/4 and the sole K sprue would be the very early type, good for prototypes, F0 and F1. There were not that many known series machines that had that cover, but a lot of prototypes that I would have loved to build...

That pathetic and frankly impossible to handle and glue on PEs (PE54 and 55) are obviously not enough, there should have been another pair of straight ones on the wing and also a tear-shaped bump cover over the spar joint.

The early (like E type) cover is flat and has that bump, the later F/G/K cover has a shallow angle that covers that spar joint without the need for the tear-shaped cover.

It's no big deal, I guess it's a 30-minute job to file that angle and add the two bumps ...

I really doubt Eduard's research team did not know that but rather they decided to hide it under the rug... I frankly don't get why they even bothered with Moelder's F1, they could have skipped it and just avoided the flak.

The F1s could have been subject to a later Profi pack with those corrected PE parts and even some resin bumps and everybody would have been happy.

With the other things that Troitzsch pointed out (windscreen and cartridge ejection ports), I can live, it is still by far the best F that I have ever seen, and at a fair price (overtrees under 10 Euros), so I will get at least a dozen, and save some room for the Part 2 that will cover the G2/4...

Edited by bad edd
  • Like 2

Got mine on order too.  Best price I could find was from Exito hobby shop in Poland for €29.52 and even more so the shipping to Canada was only €5.68 plus a €2.07 discount applied to the total. 

• Like 2

Mine arrived from Germany two days ago but I won't be opening the box until I push through with my Emil dual build. I bought it from DerSockelshop for €25, great price for a dual package with some goodies (PE and masks) and fourteen paint schemes! Sadly, Eduard's own web store prices and shipping are brutally expensive against my local currency...

Does any other online store offer overtrees only?

It looks like Eduard's Freidrich doesn't have the option to be diaplayed with the engine bay and machine gun mounts opened out of the box, unlike the Special Hobby Emils? Not sure if this is a positive or negative.

Definitely looking forward to the building this kit. Choosing the marking will be quite a challenge!