Wight Quadruplane, a bit of general weirdness

49712437391_212af2e177_c.jpg
Bad news on the Sopwith comparison. I only took one photo. Top is the revel Camel middle is the blue max Snipe bottom is the Copperstate Dolphin. The Camel and the Dolphin have the same chord but the Snipe is longer. The Snipe and the dolphin are both longer than the Camel. So it might be feasible to make a Dolphin from a Camel the changes to the chord for the Snipe wouldn’t be that easy. Talk lanes are also similar shape but different sizes.

The Dolphin  fuselage is similar to the Camel but again the snipe is pretty different.

So to summarise, the Camel wheels, prop, engine and struts could be used but not a lot else.

Now I do have an old scale models where the converted a Camel into a DH5. Which would be a pretty nice build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

You’ve been busy, Marklo.  You’re working in 1/48th, is that right? In 1/28th the Revell Camel wing chord measures 4’11”.  Wylam has the Camels wing chord as 4’6” which make the Revell wing chord 5 scale inches too wide.  Joseph Nieto’s excellent  Snipe plans have the chord at 5’.  So the oversize Revell wings are only 1 scale inch short of 5’.  Which in 1/28 is only .90mm.  I could live with that.  The span would be easy to fiddle with.  

Everything else you mentioned one’d could be used but I would make all new struts as there are an extra pair on each side.  Coincidentally, Mak, I have been experimenting with a Snipe cowl mould, which is slightly different from the Camel and Camel Bentley cowl.  I’ll vac it tomorrow to see how it looks.

The fuselage would have a balsa core from the cockpit back (a la Woodman) with scored .010 styrene sheathing for the stringers.  I really don’t see any insurmountable problems with this conversion.   Anyway, just at the thinking stage.

Thanks for your interest and the photo.  🤔

Dennis

Actually I’ve been mostly painting railway sleepers (my other half sees the pandemic as an opportunity to catch up on gardening, not modelling :) )

This was an excuse to dust off my Sopwiths or at least some of them. Yes they are all 1/48 and of varying quality. The Camel is sharply molded but the Dilphin is superior and comes with PE, the Snipe is a bit rough and has a lot of flash, And has a single length of plastic profile  supplied for the struts, but comes with some lovely white metal parts, so probably has the best engine and guns.

I am of course trusting that all three are dimensionally sound. If so there’s about 3mm difference in the chord of the Snipe which would be 6” in the flesh.

Which in a roundabout way confirms your dimensions. So revels gaff means that the wings would be pretty close. The lower wing Span looks the same but you would end up having to add a rib or two to the upper section.

All I can say is that I’d love to see a 1/24 Snipe being built. Will serve as an excellent reference when I start my Sopwith build. :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marklo said:

when I start my Sopwith build. :) 

Edited 23 minutes ago by Marklo

This might interest you when you do.

resized_971273ef-80cc-4380-b708-db051af9

Dennis

• Like 1

49719119393_240b3ac04f_c.jpg
Stringers in place, bulkhead and some of the decking added also added a flat portion at the rudder. As with all my work needs a little filler :)  The turtle deck is flat here so this will give me something solid to stick the plastic to when I cover it over.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, pheonix said:

Just pleased that it was not me who had to glue all of those stringers into place!

Actually I cheated with the stringers. I taped the rod together with rod interleaved as spacers, then removed every second rod. Then ca’d one end of the set in place. Trimmed the other end with a side cutter then ca’d that end. Only took about ten minutes.

• Like 5

Marklo,

Great start!

Stumbled across another pic of the beast. Go here:

National Library of Australia do a search for 'Crome Collection' and plough in a few pages or (faster) do a search on their site for Quadruplane.

But be warned: there are pictures of the Supermarine Night Hawk quad which is even weirder/cooler and possibly tempting...

DM in Oz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David M said:

Supermarine Night Hawk quad which is even weirder/cooler and possibly tempting

Funny you should say that......

Edited by Marklo

Can’t find anything in the Australian library but did a google search and there is a lot of material out there including at least three resin kits. Found several images ( also a lovely cockpit view of a HP O/400, which is one of my other wips. 

Interesting way to do the stringers.  Skinning them next with scored sheet?  I

Found something that might interest you:

resized_9c06c658-f094-45b3-a468-56b17e3b

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That’s insane. But.....

Have to be mostly soldered brass rod, hmmm

Funny I came across the Farman Fish today and I thought it was the oddest airplane I had seen, until now.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pheonix said:

just the sort of thing that I might consider

“You cannot be serious” John McEnroe:  Wimbledon 🙄

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Interesting way to do the stringers.  Skinning them next with scored sheet?  I

Found something that might interest you:

resized_9c06c658-f094-45b3-a468-56b17e3b

Cheers

Dennis

I'll get in before anyone else does and say that this has something of the Martian about it.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I'll get in before anyone else does and say that this has something of the Martian about i

No doubt before before H.G. Wells and his tripods. 

Dennis 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

BUT!  What but, Marklo?  Repeat after me: Sopwiths Sopwiths Sop......

You are right I think after the Wight ( and possibly the Supermarine) is fine a serious Sopwith built us in order. Let’s see I do have a Snipe, a 1 1/2 strutter, a triplane, a dolphin, and three camels in the stash.

8 minutes ago, Marklo said:

You are right

Phew!  That was too close.  No more distracting photos.

Dennis 😷

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

You are clearly a serial starter....!

Guilty as charged. I think I like to have a number of builds at different stages so I can pic and choose what kind of modelling I want to do, ie fabricating, carving, detail work painting etc.

l do on average finish about one build a month or thereabouts. So far this year I’ve finished a DH4a, the walrus and the Snark, four or five small scale armour projects and I have at least two builds that are near finished. Although I do have to admit to having five or six other builds on the go :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1