Zvezda 1/72 Sukhoi 30 MKi/ SM Indian Air Force

17 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Alex,

that weathering is extremely realistic, maybe the most realistic I've ever seen. Can you explain how you did it?

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus! Thank you Sir :)

I weathered using oil paints. The model was sealed with clear acrylic after decals

First pass was the region staining'' with lighter colors like Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. Noteable areas include joints like the elevator and tail roots (where they join the fuselage)

Then I worked the panel lines by brushing in a mix of burnt sienna + black and blending it out smoothly across the panel and rivet lines with a soft dry brush. I then used odorless turpentine (with a fine edge brush) to clean up edges (like around the airbrake or individual access plates) for a sharp line which helps accentuate the panels further. I further accent the joints with the same color (with much less spread than the previous color) as before.

Then I mottled on and blended in some black around edges that would get a lot of hand rubs during aircraft pre-flight checks or ground maintenance (like the fins below the elevators and elevator edges).

Next I mottled on some white/ off white in the larger surface areas exposed to the sun using a hog bristle brush.

I should add that a little oil paint goes a long way. And by little, I mean pin-head little at a time :D

A Matte coat seals everything up (ofcourse you mask the metallics)

You can now do oil streaks using the same mix of black + burnt sienna, using the odorless turpentine to wipe off the excess from the otherside of the panel line you're working on for a sharp edge at the beginning of the streak

The engine cans were also stained with the more transparent oil paints like Royal blue, purple, red, green, cyan burnt sienna and black. Again, you need to use the tiniest amount of paint to stain the metal without diminishing the metallic lustre.

Hope that all makes sense :D

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alxzinbox said:

Hi Markus! Thank you Sir :)

I weathered using oil paints. The model was sealed with clear acrylic after decals

First pass was the region staining'' with lighter colors like Yellow Ochre and Burnt Sienna. Noteable areas include joints like the elevator and tail roots (where they join the fuselage)

Then I worked the panel lines by brushing in a mix of burnt sienna + black and blending it out smoothly across the panel and rivet lines with a soft dry brush. I then used odorless turpentine (with a fine edge brush) to clean up edges (like around the airbrake or individual access plates) for a sharp line which helps accentuate the panels further. I further accent the joints with the same color (with much less spread than the previous color) as before.

Then I mottled on and blended in some black around edges that would get a lot of hand rubs during aircraft pre-flight checks or ground maintenance (like the fins below the elevators and elevator edges).

Next I mottled on some white/ off white in the larger surface areas exposed to the sun using a hog bristle brush.

I should add that a little oil paint goes a long way. And by little, I mean pin-head little at a time :D

A Matte coat seals everything up (ofcourse you mask the metallics)

You can now do oil streaks using the same mix of black + burnt sienna, using the odorless turpentine to wipe off the excess from the otherside of the panel line you're working on for a sharp edge at the beginning of the streak

The engine cans were also stained with the more transparent oil paints like Royal blue, purple, red, green, cyan burnt sienna and black. Again, you need to use the tiniest amount of paint to stain the metal without diminishing the metallic lustre.

Hope that all makes sense :D

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alex.

Wow, so basically you only used oil paints for the whole weathering process? That's impressive and very encouraging as it's such a cheap method.

It's a shame you don't have a WiP thread for this project as I would have definitely followed it very closely. I have an SU-27UB waiting to be made

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

this is bloody awesome man!!!... ...though I think our IAF maintains sukhois cleaner...paintjob is badass

Very nice!

The black frame around the photo reminds me on airliners.net, so the brain tells me this one is real and not a model!

Perfect lighting as well!

Wow!  With the support rod photo-shopped out, it could be passed off as anyone's pic of the real plane!

That has to be the ultimate in realism.

Amazing!

😮