Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

COVID-19 & Buy/Sell

Recommended Posts

On 24/03/2020 at 18:00, andyf117 said:

 

At the end of the day, this is a hobby, not life-and-death...

No, it's far more important! ;)

 

Forgive a skeptical, cynical key worker a little bit of humour.

@Mike well done for being sensible in caring about all of us and setting the tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, colin said:

Not a key worker, domestic appliance repair for a very large international company, they claim essential work for our customers so we need to carry on, or self isolate and claim the statutory sick pay.

Multiple call at different houses, in different areas, seems a very good way to spread the virus, but they just quote we're following government guidlines, that will be the management working from home 😆

Given that everyone still needs to be able to cook, store their food, and do laundry, it falls into a similar category as car repair and maintenance places staying open - doesn't initially seem essential, but when you think about it, how do you get to and from the shop for your essential supplies if your car breaks down and there's no-one or nothing available to fix it?

 

In your case, routine servicing and checks can wait, and you should be being strictly limited to carrying out repairs to keep equipment working properly...

....eg. a faulty fridge or freezer could mean much-needed food goes to waste, or further demand be placed on health services through food-poisoning, etc...

...whilst NHS, care and other key workers need their washers and driers fully working to clean uniforms etc....

Edited by andyf117

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, andyf117 said:

Given that everyone still needs to be able to cook, store their food, and do laundry, it falls into a similar category as car repair and maintenance places staying open - doesn't initially seem essential, but when you think about it, how do you get to and from the shop for your essential supplies if your car breaks down and there's no-one or nothing available to fix it?

 

In your case, routine servicing and checks can wait, and you should be being strictly limited to carrying out repairs to keep equipment working properly...

....eg. a faulty fridge or freezer could mean much-needed food goes to waste, or further demand be placed on health services through food-poisoning, etc...

...whilst NHS, care and other key workers need their washers and driers fully working to clean uniforms etc....

Agree totally, but when your told to buy hand sanitiser/paper roll locally as they have run out,tried that lately, and face masks will be with you shortly but limit is wear one a week 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all my dear British model building colleagues! I hope you will survive the crisis, in which we are all currently, healthy and safe. It takes a lot of discipline to contain the virus, but we in Europe will do it. Our beautiful hobby helps us a little more to overcome the crisis, even if I personally, or thank God, can still work and have little time and desire for model building. Stay healthy my friends.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Deleted 

Edited by WV908

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

We're scale modellers....we've been prepping for self isolation for years.....We got this!

That's a good excuse to use when asked why we have such a big stock of models (I wish I could say the same for paints, blades, and etc. but, unfortunately....).

 

Furthermore, we can say now with certainty that subconsciously, we knew that this was going to happen. That's why the whole prep (I have 50 models AND counting)!!!

 

THANKS for the tip!!!

 

Cheers

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, bzn20 said:

We bought all this kind of stuff in January , knew what was coming .

I think it was quite obvious, especially when it was announced that the Chinese are building a brand-new hospital in just a few days.

 

But, even then I was having second thoughts about the speed of the virus spread and thus, I bought only one bottle of rubbing alcohol instead of 2 or more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shalako said:

I think it was quite obvious, especially when it was announced that the Chinese are building a brand-new hospital in just a few days.

 

But, even then I was having second thoughts about the speed of the virus spread and thus, I bought only one bottle of rubbing alcohol instead of 2 or more.

 

I've got a 5ltr 99% container full, wonder if I can sell it on ebay now and get that really expensive kit I've always wanted, who would have thought hand sanitiser was aka liquid gold 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, colin said:

I've got a 5ltr 99% container full, wonder if I can sell it on ebay now and get that really expensive kit I've always wanted, who would have thought hand sanitiser was aka liquid gold 😉

Glad to hear it. I'll send Ronnie and Reggie round later to make you an offer that you can't refuse.:fight:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Shalako said:

I think it was quite obvious

Apart from us in the 1% of the UK pop . then .. The rest cottoned on about 3 weeks ago , quite a few bought a load of perishables with gash sell by's that are now gone uneaten and in their bins .

They hadn't started the Corona virus hospitals til 1st week in Feb . Shopping was done and delivered by last week of January . Not  panicking , not queueing up , not getting infected , was wearing a mask and gloves ,   When they'd finished doing all that … Lets go to Snowdonia , Brighton , Cornwall ,Southwold and a garden centre for next week's statistics .

 

I wonder when their obvious detectors kicked in . Unfortunately  for some it will be too late .

 

Edited by bzn20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 3:09 PM, Markh-75 said:

paint and roller

You need to think …. The roller is rock hard ,can't use it , paint can is dried out , brushes are hard or can't find them , lent them to  ………… (insert name here )

We're locked down .. not going out , not important enough and get fined , 2 mile queue to get  in .

Hope she doesn't think about online shopping ..

If she does  the next available delivery is a week September ...….

Which might actually be true . Always try and tell the truth , if that fails ...Waffle

Edited by bzn20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

After all this madness blows over, could we perhaps lower the required 100 posts for selling to somewhere, ah say in the low 60`s perhaps?  

 

spacer.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or.......  members could contribute additional constructive posts, leading up to said requirement by the time this is all over?

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bootneck said:

Or.......  members could contribute additional constructive posts, leading up to said requirement by the time this is all over? 

 

Mike

I just realized having in excess of 100 posts would do very little for anyone with the intent on selling here on britmodeler. The constructiveness seems to go out the window in favour of more meaningless posts in order to gain another post and in the meantime the post is going nowhere fast. Oh look me tally has gone up, yay !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much doubt this madness will blow over very soon while there are still many flouting the instruction to stay at home and to maintain social distancing. Its an impossible order; short of posting armed troops in the streets to enforce it. The virus is going to be around for a long time to come i think. Meanwhile i sit in my room all day, i am in a danger zone due to asthma and because i am on immune-suppressant tablets for a few conditions. I dont watch TV now because its all just doom and gloom all the time and because they spend all day repeating themselves. This whole thing has been mismanaged, it was known about it in November but nothing was done about it while the thinking (wishful at that) was it wouldn't come to UK shores. Now we are dealing with the inaction.

Until people realise that social distancing and staying indoors is the key, then the virus will keep on spreading; many seem to think they are immune to the instruction and go out anyway, i see it all the time and i can do nothing about it! The kids in the street opposite are all out playing, kids from numerous houses, all playing together in the street. Now normally this is very good but not while there is a pandemic taking lives (more and more) every day. The people where i live are indifferent and couldnt care less. Thats their problem but their indifference is the very thing that kills other people; where else do they go and do the same thing? (and they do). The social distancing and staying indoors is an impossible thing to control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do not post wanted adds, or sales in other sections. This is not allowed anyway and especially ATM

 

Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 4:13 PM, bzn20 said:

Hope she doesn't think about online shopping ..

If she does  the next available delivery is a week September .

Ain't it the truth brother!!! Amen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I checked the 60 page document government published about easing the lockdown and it doesn’t mention Britmodeller even once!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, wombat said:

Well, I checked the 60 page document government published about easing the lockdown and it doesn’t mention Britmodeller even once!! 

Gentlemen, OPEN your wallets!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up here in darkest Lancashire we are having no problems with posting packages nor receiving them.  Nationally the mail appears to be working more-or-less as usual.  Is it perhaps time to relax this clampdown and let us start trading again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Is it perhaps time to relax this clampdown and let us start trading again?

I agree. As long as we take all the precautionary measures there is nothing to be afraid of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m used to seeing “from a smoke free home” on eBay listings. Today I saw my first “from a covid-19 free home”  🧐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wombat said:

I’m used to seeing “from a smoke free home” on eBay listings. Today I saw my first “from a covid-19 free home”  🧐

And how on earth can they guarantee that, unless they've tested negative on the same day that they send the item?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wombat said:

I’m used to seeing “from a smoke free home” on eBay listings. Today I saw my first “from a covid-19 free home”  🧐

From a smoke free home usually means it smells like a pub beer garden ashtray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Shalako said:

I agree. As long as we take all the precautionary measures there is nothing to be afraid of.

No.  There remains quite a lot to be afraid of.  But it does minimise the risk considerably.   Zero risk is unobtainable, but it can hopefully be reduced to something approaching all the other risks, and reasons to be afraid, that we casually ignored back in "normal" life, and I suspect still do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...