As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

COVID-19 & Buy/Sell

On 24/03/2020 at 18:00, andyf117 said:

At the end of the day, this is a hobby, not life-and-death...

No, it's far more important! ;)

Forgive a skeptical, cynical key worker a little bit of humour.

@Mike well done for being sensible in caring about all of us and setting the tone.

17 hours ago, colin said:

Not a key worker, domestic appliance repair for a very large international company, they claim essential work for our customers so we need to carry on, or self isolate and claim the statutory sick pay.

Multiple call at different houses, in different areas, seems a very good way to spread the virus, but they just quote we're following government guidlines, that will be the management working from home 😆

Given that everyone still needs to be able to cook, store their food, and do laundry, it falls into a similar category as car repair and maintenance places staying open - doesn't initially seem essential, but when you think about it, how do you get to and from the shop for your essential supplies if your car breaks down and there's no-one or nothing available to fix it?

In your case, routine servicing and checks can wait, and you should be being strictly limited to carrying out repairs to keep equipment working properly...

....eg. a faulty fridge or freezer could mean much-needed food goes to waste, or further demand be placed on health services through food-poisoning, etc...

...whilst NHS, care and other key workers need their washers and driers fully working to clean uniforms etc....

Edited by andyf117

On 3/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, andyf117 said:

Given that everyone still needs to be able to cook, store their food, and do laundry, it falls into a similar category as car repair and maintenance places staying open - doesn't initially seem essential, but when you think about it, how do you get to and from the shop for your essential supplies if your car breaks down and there's no-one or nothing available to fix it?

In your case, routine servicing and checks can wait, and you should be being strictly limited to carrying out repairs to keep equipment working properly...

....eg. a faulty fridge or freezer could mean much-needed food goes to waste, or further demand be placed on health services through food-poisoning, etc...

...whilst NHS, care and other key workers need their washers and driers fully working to clean uniforms etc....

Agree totally, but when your told to buy hand sanitiser/paper roll locally as they have run out,tried that lately, and face masks will be with you shortly but limit is wear one a week 🙂

To all my dear British model building colleagues! I hope you will survive the crisis, in which we are all currently, healthy and safe. It takes a lot of discipline to contain the virus, but we in Europe will do it. Our beautiful hobby helps us a little more to overcome the crisis, even if I personally, or thank God, can still work and have little time and desire for model building. Stay healthy my friends.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

We're scale modellers....we've been prepping for self isolation for years.....We got this!

That's a good excuse to use when asked why we have such a big stock of models (I wish I could say the same for paints, blades, and etc. but, unfortunately....).

Furthermore, we can say now with certainty that subconsciously, we knew that this was going to happen. That's why the whole prep (I have 50 models AND counting)!!!

THANKS for the tip!!!

Cheers

Bill

On 3/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, bzn20 said:

We bought all this kind of stuff in January , knew what was coming .

I think it was quite obvious, especially when it was announced that the Chinese are building a brand-new hospital in just a few days.

But, even then I was having second thoughts about the speed of the virus spread and thus, I bought only one bottle of rubbing alcohol instead of 2 or more.

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

I think it was quite obvious, especially when it was announced that the Chinese are building a brand-new hospital in just a few days.

But, even then I was having second thoughts about the speed of the virus spread and thus, I bought only one bottle of rubbing alcohol instead of 2 or more.

I've got a 5ltr 99% container full, wonder if I can sell it on ebay now and get that really expensive kit I've always wanted, who would have thought hand sanitiser was aka liquid gold 😉

54 minutes ago, colin said:

I've got a 5ltr 99% container full, wonder if I can sell it on ebay now and get that really expensive kit I've always wanted, who would have thought hand sanitiser was aka liquid gold 😉

Glad to hear it. I'll send Ronnie and Reggie round later to make you an offer that you can't refuse.:fight:

2 hours ago, Shalako said:

I think it was quite obvious

Apart from us in the 1% of the UK pop . then .. The rest cottoned on about 3 weeks ago , quite a few bought a load of perishables with gash sell by's that are now gone uneaten and in their bins .

They hadn't started the Corona virus hospitals til 1st week in Feb . Shopping was done and delivered by last week of January . Not  panicking , not queueing up , not getting infected , was wearing a mask and gloves ,   When they'd finished doing all that … Lets go to Snowdonia , Brighton , Cornwall ,Southwold and a garden centre for next week's statistics .

I wonder when their obvious detectors kicked in . Unfortunately  for some it will be too late .

Edited by bzn20

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 3:09 PM, Markh-75 said:

paint and roller

You need to think …. The roller is rock hard ,can't use it , paint can is dried out , brushes are hard or can't find them , lent them to  ………… (insert name here )

We're locked down .. not going out , not important enough and get fined , 2 mile queue to get it in . Hope she doesn't think about online shopping .. If she does  the next available delivery is a week September ...….

Which might actually be true . Always try and tell the truth , if that fails ...Waffle