Weary Westland Whirlwind - 1/48 Trumpeter

Hi all,

Following my last Spitfire build, here's another model off the build line!

Trumpeter's 1/48 Westland Whirlwind, built as HE-V P6969, of 263 Sqn in 1941. A reasonably quick and easy build, the model is fairly simple and inaccurate in a few places, I haven't bothered to change many of the inaccuracies, aside from moving the aerial mast and the squadron codes (they kit decals are white, they should be grey). Painted with Hataka paints and I attempted to fairly heavily weather the model based on photos of the real aircraft.

IMGP0473

IMGP0474

IMGP0475

IMGP0479

IMGP0472

IMGP0476

IMGP0477

IMGP0478

I'm reasonably happy with the weathering, it looks much better in the flesh, unfortunately my photography skills are not great and I always find models look a little toy like in sun (I do love the return of the sun that we are currently experiencing though!)

Thanks all :)

Ben

• Like 18

Very nice.  It's a shame Trumpeter often don't seem to do their research thoroughly as they make some interesting subjects.  Whirlwinds do seem to look well worn in photos of them in-service.  My CA one is making slow progress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Nice job, Ben. Don't often see Whirlwinds on the forum.👍

2 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Very nice build of a type we don't see many of.

Thanks

Many thanks all :)

I felt I had to build a Whirlwind partly, as mentioned, they aren't common on modelling sites, but also because my office joins one of the original building in which the Whirwind was manufactured. There's actually a plaque on the wall on the front of the building commemorating the building as the "Whirlwind Build Line".

Spitfire Mk I up next!

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 2

A very nice looking model.

The Whirlwind has always been a favourite of mine, I think it looks hard as nails, just two big engines and a fist full of cannon. The cockpit seems to have been an afterthought!

Edited by TonyW
  • Haha 1

Very nice! I've got one of these in my near future and I'll be very happy if it turns out half as well as yours! :clap2:

• Thanks 1