Revell 1/48 Ju-87D Stuka

Ran

The X-1 glides/rockets to its completion and I'm stuck most of the time at home due to Covid-19 restrictions. At least it provides a chance for more bench relaxation.

The next kits was designed (the molds) around the time I was born and I got it back when I started building again and was collecting 'simple'/'cheap' kits to horn my skills.

Its' the venerable Revell 1/48 Ju-87D Stuka - and it sure reminds me of my building days as a kid.

This will be build OOB with zero (well minimal) AMS.

jg3FkeRm.jpg DZiDcMFm.jpg?2

DeTT6hhm.jpg?1 eQELvafm.jpg

LqEOMxQm.jpg   LspoEYQm.jpg

bIeNZq0m.jpg UiFJBwjm.jpg

Clear parts are already in future and next time I'm at the bench will start cutting some plastic.

Ran

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

In the 'old days' (before the WFH time) I used to update by WIP posts when ever I did find some time to sit near the bench but either did not have enough time or not enough mojo to actually build. These were times devoted to collecting the photos from my Dropbox to my building archive, uploading to IMGUR and getting the muse to write down an update.

Since this WFG period started I have many more opportunities and much more time to build (this is the 3rd build so far), I build faster, enjoy it immensely and make progress into the infinite stash (mainly with the small part of it that in-house and not stored away). There is one drawback though - very little time to write updates. In most cases when I sit down to write an update - I end up build ;)

So - this kit is almost done (decals went up today) and the next one is also more then half way (It an A6M2-N Rufe) so here goes.

This is a simple kits that builds fast, very little in the way of cockpit detail. My original goal when buying this was to practice on painting.

Started with the simple things - engine radiator, IP, wheels etc'

5igLgpvm.jpg wniXoZmm.jpg eblCCRfm.jpg 

RLM2 on every surface:

2dXcYV3m.jpg

The cockpit presented a real dilemma - to AMS or not to AMS. It is soooo bare. I though about adding some boxes and wires but...... decided to skip it this time.

Sounds easy but actually took me several rounds of stopping my self from grabbing evergeen bits and pieces. Not even harness.

The cockpit was so bare I decied to use the pilot figures - which is VERT rare thing for me.

x6QXC6cm.jpg bh7TqFsm.jpg6MW6g5Om.jpg

Just when I started working on the pilot - I lost his arm :(

Well - he was demoted to gunner :) and the gunner was prompted to pilot :) :) 

This is one of the first times I paint figure (and it shows). In hindsight I should have selected a different shade for the flight suit. I want to learn how to add shades and depth to figures - next time. 

Y1RoY4sl.jpg ZQ9gXYWl.jpg

1b5H6cCl.jpg 

For the spinner axis - I added some evergreen sleeve - so I won't need to attach the propeller right away:

Ku34uM6m.jpg

Closing the fuselage was next: 

xYqy5VGl.jpg

The instructions calls for glueing the upper halves of the wings to the lower one and then attaching all to the fuselage. I 'smelled' this will create big gaps and opted to use an old trick - the lower part of the wings (1 piece) was glues first and then each upper part was added, while taking care for proper mating to the fuselage. This required actually holding the parts while the glue cured for a couple of minutes.:

jQciwb9l.jpg

zZdXcttl.jpg

75ZZr98l.jpg

wXeCnrIl.jpg

Next step involved the canopy:

Masking @##@$@#$

sQFlYJbm.jpg 7kblAmnm.jpg

Some Tamiya flexible tape was needed. The canopies are made from very brittle plastic with huge gates - a nightmare.

Fixing the canopy to the fuselage was no walk in the part either and had to be done in several stages. Some of the parts were too wide, some has broken edges.

N6Ui8uWl.jpg

The flame dumpers were drilled, painted black, silver and a filter of brown-red:

gRNd7sPl.jpg wFYVGGrl.jpg

Wheel pod glued, wheel masked and pods glued:

B4fihfal.jpg

I used Ultimate primer - which was mostly OK shooting with my new Badger Regengade Krome.

Pre-shading was done with the new airbrush and it shows - I still need to master narrow lines:

CUQlULul.jpg 

The RLM65 (Model Master 4778) followed. I hate this paint - it barely covers and tends to run quite easily.

IFb5i5kl.jpg

Wingtip were painted Yellow - this time w/o a white background - but this went OK. Only after finishing this I noticed there is a yellow band near the tail (not a decal) - so the yellow had to come out again.

p42jXt5l.jpg

WbZgw51l.jpg

R4KVO2el.jpg

The lighter RLM 71 (Model Master 4781) was shot first - skipping the areas later covered with the RLM70 (Model Master 4780).

Now it was time for real masking. This kit consumed a LOT of tape and the better part of an afternoon:

cRBWl1ql.jpg 

r8XCjISl.jpg

Mv05SNel.jpg

qid8lysl.jpg

QWpzITll.jpg

With most of the RLM71 covered - when I started with the RLM70 I was not sure if this is the same paint or not. 

Somewhere between the RLM71 and the 70 something went wrong with my Badger and the airbrushing experience shifted from 'WOW I finally understand what they mean by translucent layers and building up the paint and the pre-shading effect' to 'WTF something is clogged". 

Just then I discovered that the black stepping strips are also NOT a decal. Here goes another masking campaign:

U0bpnPOl.jpg

g3cpRJXm.jpg 6SJtMa5m.jpg

Unmasking time !!:

6zhvMNWl.jpg

whtQDncl.jpg

PdKTFtbl.jpg

sQwIWoLl.jpg

Following the unmasking I spent some time touching up and shot three layers of Gloss Alclad in preparation for the next steps.

The paint scheme is quite monotonous and the wings are BIG. The kits as raised panels so panel washing  was out.

I decided to try, for the first time, a pin wash technique I learned over at a Hyperscale forum (Search "Me410: Dot Filter Fever!" by Chuck. I had it saved so I access it locally. You can also check this or this for detailed explanation and examples of this.

It starts like that:

7RtpuzCl.jpg

and goes through several 'OMG what have I done' moments:

JONfNHjl.jpg

9loD4Akl.jpg

But if you follow the instructions closely the final effect is very nice - although its hard to photo it:

Fnhqxtel.jpg

OUICVe4l.jpg

QWAsWCPl.jpg

I spent the better part of today's afternoon decaling. The kit is old but the decal preformed superbly after giving them enough time soaking:

gnTvalcl.jpg

UvTTpUql.jpg

MHEfB6Cl.jpg

mVCoYAKl.jpg 

So not the kit is drying up and the decals are brushed with MicroSol every now and then.

Still a couple of small parts - antenna, guns, bombs, before final mat coat.

That's it for today. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Ran

• Like 1

Final touches and I'm done.

Smaller bits are always a question of trade-off - install them before painting and take the risk of loosing them along the way OR wait and attach them after painting and risk loosing them or leaving glue marks all over.

This kit has it own fair share of small bits an pieces - anyone seen these darn counter balances weights anywhere?

The last phase involved adding the support beams, foot rests, bombs, canons, pitot and these darn weights. Also added back the rear facing machine gun and last but not least - the aerial. 

Some chipping with a brush and silver ink pad followed - first time and I do need to tone this down a bit.

Alclad Clear Kote was sprayed to seal it all. 

Time to remove the canopy mask - a fearful moment in any build. Could have done it better.

Then came the weathering brush - to add some some touch up - and we are official done. 

Here's a peek preview - CU at 'ready for inspection'

XyfEBzvl.jpg

1VtJXrll.jpg

nVfSK3zl.jpg

xVKxooql.jpg

RkGY8oyl.jpg

60v8y3Bl.jpg

31c9889l.jpg

fern3uSl.jpg

This was a fun build although the kit is old and very basic.

First time in this build:

- Painting pilot figures

- Pin wash technique

- 1/48 70/71 scheme

Comments are welcomed

Best

Ran

Edited by Ran
Typos
  • Like 3