Technique to put in fine bolts/switches into dashboards

A_S

With such fine work I highly recommend investing in really good tweezers with a firm but very fine tip. Forget china stuff and forget cheap stuff. Go somewhere where you can see the tip an give it a try. I think this would be in the 20€ / 15Pound segment. I usually get mine at trade fairs, so testing is no problem. Alternatively you can try medical and electronics suppliers. Especially tweezers for SMD electronics work are very fine but come at a price.

If you cheap out you'll pay double. Or more if you don't learn.

I'll have a look. I managed it, but I lost 6 or 8 in the process (they kept springing out of the tweezers) and now don't have enough to use on the sump guard bits! Luckily i have some brass rod i can use to simulate the bolts on those parts!

Edited by A_S

One technique that I've found useful is to start with a much longer length of brass wire. Round off or dress the end as appropriate and then insert the wire from the back side. Secure the wire with a drop of CA on the rear and then clip it flush at the rear. Dress the wire again and repeat.

Since you're inserting the wire from the rear, you can do a whole row or block of switches. If a knob is needed at the end, a drop of CA or PVA glue will usually suffice. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Make friends with an Ophthalmologist. They use incredibly tiny pointed forceps to handle absurdly small sutures used on eyeballs. Some of these are "single use" ahem...

• 5 weeks later...