1/72 Avro Lancastrian conversion

This is the M+E Models conversion set mated to a 2nd generation Airfix Lancaster. You get a new nose and tail as well as a plug for the ventral turret and a page of decals. From what I've been able to gather, these used the paddle bladed props, so the ones in the kit shouldn't be used. I got a set of the other props from a friend. It sat on the shelf for a few years as the decals shattered when put in water. Then I discovered that the new Airfix Whitley kit comes with BOAC markings. I know they're not correct, but they look fine and what's more, they fit. Finish is SNJ polished with their polishing dust with the exception of the control surfaces. 

IMG_20200323_084238

IMG_20200323_084321

IMG_20200323_084254

IMG_20200323_084349

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Nice work - good idea to go for an uncluttered and smooth surface devoid of rivets etc - it brings out the shape of the plane very nicely - and in this scale it's perhaps also realistic.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

JWM, As to removing rivets. Using cheap flat black paint, I spray everything with rivets. Let it dry for 24 hours, or it will clog your sand paper. Then I take either 320 or 200 for stubborn places and wet sand all the black off. It shows where the rivets and raised panel lines are and you sand until all the paint is gone. I then re-coat with the black and sand that off with the next lower grade of sandpaper. Then, as they say, "wash, rinse, repeat" until you're down to 400 grit. The last level is to spray a real primer and then very lightly sand with 600 grit. Then re-primer and you're ready for your final coats. It's tedious, but not really difficult. You may want to assemble some pieces to make sure joints/seams are smooth, but sanding some pieces before assembly may be easier, then go back and do the seams, For some natural metal finishes which must be used on bare plastic, you will have to really polish the surface to a glass like finish. However, with paints like Alclad, if you use a good filling primer and then a good smooth gloss black undercoat, you don't have to go that far.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...