German Navy Starfighters

dhtmo

On the real aircraft the day-glo paint weathered quickly and could appear as anything from neon-red or orange to yellow, often with irregular fading. I would also emphasize using a white/yellow base coat. Most day-glo paints have really bad coverage, so a base coat is essential.

• Like 2

Hello

I use ever a white primer, i then painting it yellow in thin layers, after that i paint it in Revell 25 in thin layers too, in shadow zone more,and in zone where the sunshine hit the surface less.

Here you can see a german Starfighter with faded tip tanks, the higher surface is really faded, almost white

2735_1squadron_exchanzvjrx.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Hello

I use ever a white primer, i then painting it yellow in thin layers, after that i paint it in Revell 25 in thin layers too, in shadow zone more,and in zone where the sunshine hit the surface less.

Here you can see a german Starfighter with faded tip tanks, the higher surface is really faded, almost white

2735_1squadron_exchanzvjrx.jpg

Is that a 1 Sqn RAF Zap on the intake?

Sovereign Hobbies have two versions of 'dayglo' in their Colourcoats range if I remember correctly.

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Sovereign Hobbies have two versions of 'dayglo' in their Colourcoats range if I remember correctly.

Duncan B

Yo Duncan, thanks for the mention Sir :) We have RAL2005 and the other one is International Orange which by comparison just looks like boring old red.

It's stated above but worthy expanding on just so folk don't presume we're all thick... Day Glow type paints are at the absolute extreme end of the scale as far as our human perception of colour goes i.e. they are a relatively focused wavelength of reflected light and not a spread/blend like most colours we see. Because of this, day glow paints have day glow pigment in them and nothing else with any colouring power and the day glow's own staining ability is very weak. If we added anything to it to make the stuff more opaque it would immediately lose its vibrance and plument down towards grey and just be an ordinary orange.

So, undercoats are essential with any day glow and lots of fairly dry mist coats one after the other.

Lastly, the pigment (in our's at least) is allergic to cellulose thinners. It will congeal into a rubbery mess (it happened the first time I sprayed tin lids for our first batch...). Our other paints are happy with cellulose but this one needs the proper naptha based enamel thinner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Lastly, the pigment (in our's at least) is allergic to cellulose thinners. It will congeal into a rubbery mess (it happened the first time I sprayed tin lids for our first batch...). Our other paints are happy with cellulose but this one needs the proper naptha based enamel thinner.

I seem to remember having the same problem with the Revell enamel version...

• Like 1

Here is the Colourcoats version of RAL 2005, it is really hard to photograph tbh and isn't coming across 100% properly but the general gist is there. This was sprayed on top of yellow+white primer.

L1180358

Some different lighting, I kept them quite fresh on mine with only a little fading on top where the sun can bleach. 

L1180546 copy

To my eyes the Colourcoats version captured the exact Day Glow orange hue the best for fresh RAL 2005. Obviously this is quite bright and you may want to tone it down and weather to how most of the tip tanks seemed after some hours flying.

Here is straight Xtracolor RAL2005 with no fading/mixing, I think it was too red from the tin, the photo is exaggerating a bit but still a bit off imo

L1110060

Here is a more faded one done mainly with orange, yellow and white mixes and maybe a tad of day glo mixed in. If you want a heavy fade any day glo orange should do because I guess it shouldn't have much day glo left in it anyways due to the fade. 

L1110057

There usually is a noticeable demarcation of fade where the light can get too. Also many photos seem to show asymmetric fading on the tanks, probably due to swapping them around the fleet which can add some more interest. 

L1110455 (2) copy 2

I've tried others I know of including, Revell 25 which was a bit too orange imho and AK Real Color RAL 2005 which refused to cover to any proper opacity even after about 10 layers of paint, maybe I got a bad jar, not sure but the match looked good. I've tried Gunze day glo orange also which is pretty indistinguishable from Revell 25. 

To my eyes the Colourcoats version captured the exact Day Glow orange hue the best for fresh RAL 2005. Obviously this is quite bright and you may want to tone it down and weather to how most of the tip tanks seemed after some hours flying. For a mostly faded tank probably most Day Glow orange type paints  (Revell, Gunze etc) will do to convey the look, but as I say for fresh RAL 2005  I think Colourcoats has it.

Cheers,

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya also have two "day glow orange" paints - TS-31 Bright Orange and TS-36 Fluorescent Red. I tried TS-36 on my 1/72 scale Esci/Italeri Starfighter and used an white/yellow base coat (yellow on top white at bottom).

spacer.png

Cheers / Andre

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 19:23, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

Yes it is Duncan - exchange with 1Sqdn around 74/75.  At that time, not sure about now, but the West German Air Force and Navy had a habit of painting the hosts markings on themselves.  During a visit to Leuchars in '78, Mfg-2 brought their own painter with them complete with pre made stencils and paint and applied their version of 43's Fighting Cock to the fins of the six F-104's on deployment.   He spent one Sunday applying them.  Very neat they were to.  Each Fighting Cock was on a white disc the same diameter as the Mfg-2 badge and each was precisely the same dimension below. 

spacer.png

Dennis

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Have to say it, but that is damned fine work there @mirageiv David, thats's the best rendering of dayglo I have seen.  Can i ask which kit it is?

I have used the two Humbrol fluorescent paints in the past, on matt white undercoat, one was a yellowy orange (not sure if still current?) that I used on an Italian C-119 and the other was Fire/Orange which is their version of 'Docker Blaze', suitable for some Royal Navy helicopters.

Superb picture from Dennis, yet again!

• Like 2

On 30/03/2020 at 20:23, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

i think so

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Have to say it, but that is damned fine work there @mirageiv David, thats's the best rendering of dayglo I have seen.  Can i ask which kit it is?

I have used the two Humbrol fluorescent paints in the past, on matt white undercoat, one was a yellowy orange (not sure if still current?) that I used on an Italian C-119 and the other was Fire/Orange which is their version of 'Docker Blaze', suitable for some Royal Navy helicopters.

Superb picture from Dennis, yet again!

Thank you James, I was chuffed with the results for sure. Both are the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104G kits, one RF-104G (24+33) using DACO parts (Colourcoats RAL) and the one with Kormorans (22+14) is box Hasegawa using Revell and Xtracolor RAL mixes. 

I've also tried Humbrol 209 Fire Orange but for me it was much too red for RAL2005, a nice day glo type colour though. 

Cheers,

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Here's where we stand. The decals are really brittle.

p?i=13146bcd57fe46d2027c3671a671b522

The camera makes the top colour look greenish, but it's really dark grey.

p?i=c3c7dba66a5a2bafcb247db5c1c29e0c

Edited by dhtmo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Hook said:

Nice progress. What kit is this?

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Andre

It's the Hasegawa 1/72. Nice kit but the canopy hasn't fitted very well, so we'll probably set it open.

Cheers

Dave