FR24. Aviation decline.

Rick Brown

Usually there are several aircraft visible above Long Eaton at any time. Virtually none recently. I wonder how long before the temperatures change as they did after 9/11?

I'm surprised the numbers are holding up that well TBH.

• Like 1

Usually over us quite a bit of North/South traffic including the long range stuff to the US and Canada, hardly anything today. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

Loadsa small things flying around!

This would normally be big stuff.

y4mQZAOjM_2PusfVOIScHKuGPOkqqotP3T3hR93L

I guess a combination of people "Self Isolating" at 4000' and Commercial aviation taking a dive.

• Like 2

Down my way Gatwick has been active with a few airliners of easyjet BA, emirates A380, Norwegian West Jet and today a Turkish A330 among hem. But have to agree a lot more light aircraft about... now some of the local airways are less busy I suppose.

• Like 1

I'm crying here 😭😭😭

So many friends either lost their jobs or waiting for the chop. I've got mates on unpaid leave, stuck in various parts of the world having been made redundant and can't get a flight home, others desperate for financial aid. There's one guy has been made redundant four times since October (was at TCA) and is giving up flying for good. Another currently moonlighting for Border Force and another trying to get a job as a delivery driver just to pay the bills. 

Never seen anything like this. Not 9/11, not SARS, not the 2008 crash. This is desperate. 

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Never seen anything like this. Not 9/11, not SARS, not the 2008 crash. This is desperate. 

That should be on billboards all over the country. I didn't realise things were that bad. Just going to nick the picture for FB and get people thinking...I hope.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That's at 2001 level that is WOW!

I assume that these are ALL flights and not just ones spotted by somebody. Pardon the ignorance but I'm a ground pounder mostly.

These are picked up as a collective of receiving stations, so not just myself.

Not all aircraft send out any useful data, if any at all. So you could physically see more aircraft than this usually.

Basically speaking, there's more up there than is ever picked up on FR24 etc.

HTH,

Rick.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 6:13 PM, Alan P said:

On 3/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, Rick Brown said:

These are picked up as a collective of receiving stations, so not just myself.

Not all aircraft send out any useful data, if any at all. So you could physically see more aircraft than this usually.

Basically speaking, there's more up there than is ever picked up on FR24 etc.

HTH,

Rick.

A very good illustration of what has happened across the world in less than a month.

I'm under one of the approach corridors for Heathrow and the skies are almost empty, most of what is still flying appears to be air freight, general and business aviation or oil industry/air ambulance helicopters.  I had an RAF Hercules over the house for a while as he performed three practice diversions into Southend Airport so the military are still operating although perhaps at a lower tempo.

@Alan P Hope you and your friends are OK in the long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at my FR24 app just now. It definitely is a lot quieter than usual. But there's still quite a lot of traffic. It is fair to say that not all traffic shows particularly light aircraft at low level even if has the requisite equipment. Plus the military of course.

But it's not nearly as quiet as when the unpronounceable volcano exploded in 2010. At the time I was flying skydivers. In the middle of it I got airborne with a load. There was total silence on the radio. I seemed to startle the controller when I  called up. It was eerie. I don't think it will get to that point this time.

Strange times though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, junglierating said:

If you live in Oxfordshire then keep a look out next week 

Hmmm, I left the Mob at Brize a few years ago.

Remind me, what's happening, if you can!

I don't know if they are just standing out or if they are being used to ship some of the airfreight that would normally be carried by scheduled airline services but there do seem to be more obscure freighters, some of which wear interesting colour schemes, flying at the moment.  We had this one fly over the house this morning:

spacer.png 

• Like 1