Tamiya M3 Stuart - 35+ years on the shelf of doom...

This was an attic find by my chum Andy (for whom I built the Triumph 3HW), when he was visiting his dad's house. Andy had kicked off his build not long after the kit came out in 1974 with the build stalling at the stage where the construction was pretty much complete. He passed it onto me on at the tail end of one week, offering it for any parts I could cannibalise or use for spares. Having had a quick scan in the box I was sure we could do better than that and I was delighted to pass on the rejuvenated little tank on the Monday morning - original decals did OK too. Not my best build, but I was keen for a really quick turnaround as a surprise. Andy was delighted with it, having assumed it couldn't really be saved, which was a great feeling.

Hopefully I've remembered how to do this photo-linky malarkey...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I guess the price really dates this!

spacer.png

And not that they'd ever be in this situation but I was interested in the comparison...

spacer.png

• Like 22

Lovely build nice to see something come back from the shelf of doom :goodjob:....... Tamiya's tracks for the Stuart always make me giggle though can't believe that they did that.:D

The problem with the tracks that M3talpig refers to, is that Tamiya moulded the end connectors fitted to each track pad rather than overlapping and thus linking the track pads, they also did the same thing on their M3 Grant tank 🤭

On 27/03/2020 at 14:16, ModelMonkey said:

Ooh... Not that clued up on the Stuart - are the Tamiya tracks nae right? 

There the right type but if you look at the connectors there at the end of each track block instead of between each track block ....it was years after the release of the kit when i think somebody at Military Modelling magazine noticed it.... doesn't in any way detract from what you have done it's a great model....99% of people never realise.

Just one of those interesting cock ups made by Tamiya