Lock Down.

One question about the cycling, and other strenuous outdoor exercises? Is there not a risk that, breathing out rapidly, unless masked, your are pumping out aerosolised saliva and therefore, if you are infected, you could be spreading it much farther than if you were breathing normally.

• Like 6

Well. I received not one but TWO 12 week isolation letters from my GP/Local Health Board.  Must be serious to get 2. 

Hopefully i get paid while (if?!) I have to stay off work. I have to pay rent and bills somehow. What a mess. 

7 hours ago, bzn20 said:

The first casualty of war is..... The truth …. Don't need a mask ...truth ..there isn't enough masks to go round . I bought 50 in January before we knew and when you could , latex gloves the same.

The way I deal with this virus is ..

A mask is going on regardless and so are gloves .

Any problem......

.....The 1968 Soviet filmstrip dedicated to the manufacture of personal protective equipment at home in a nuclear, chemical and bacteriological war.  The filmstrip was commissioned by the USSR Civil Defense Headquarters:

The first part is about creating a dust mask at home, in the second cotton gauze mask.

As you's see personal protective equipment can be easily manufactured at home. It may not be as effective and aesthetically pleasing as modern remedies, but it is better than nothing.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 4

This is a feature of my town. Its a small castle shaped (gun) powder magazine on a Norman Motte. Locally just 'the Moat'

Donaghadee%20Moat%2C%2001-L.jpg

I decided to build a big scale diorama of it.

Here it is so far;

closeencounters11605.jpg?ssl=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 19
5 hours ago, Beardie said:

One question about the cycling, and other strenuous outdoor exercises? Is there not a risk that, breathing out rapidly, unless masked, your are pumping out aerosolised saliva and therefore, if you are infected, you could be spreading it much farther than if you were breathing normally.

There is evidence from China that even talking loudly can spead microparticles which hang around in the air, so you can walk through clouds of them if there's no air movement. They recommend opening windows in enclosed buildings at least every hour...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Not so great is the number of muppets riding on the pavement, however. While out for my daily walk with SWMBO today we had three separate cyclists whizz past us on the pavement. All of them adults, one of them talking on his hands free mobile. I think some of these people are riding a bike for the first time since they were kids and think they can still do what they did then.

That's just normal when it comes to the two wheeled terrors,one law for them and another for the rest of us.

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 5
7 hours ago, Beardie said:

Simple answer :  yes

Read somewhere that it should be 4m for walkers, 10m for runners  and 20m for cyclists due to saliva particles in the slipstream.

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 4

Don't know how much can be read into this, but just saying. China reported no new cases a couple of days ago, and started relaxing some of their lockdown rules. This morning they reported 99 new cases.

John.

• Sad 3
4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

This is a feature of my town. Its a small castle shaped (gun) powder magazine on a Norman Motte. Locally just 'the Moat'

Donaghadee%20Moat%2C%2001-L.jpg

I decided to build a big scale diorama of it.

Here it is so far;

closeencounters11605.jpg?ssl=1

Nothing like doing things on a grand scale!

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Don't know how much can be read into this, but just saying. China reported no new cases a couple of days ago, and started relaxing some of their lockdown rules. This morning they reported 99 new cases.

John.

Is it possible these were cases where infection place before the lockdown rules were relaxed?

Actually, I was asked by some locals in the Historical Society to build a 1/72 version for display purposes. There is a lot more to the Motte and its park. In 1/72 it was going to be 16 ft long by 4.5 ft by 1.25 ft high. They changed their minds,

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

. . . Unless the conversation goes along the lines of, "May I ask why you are out sir? Oh, you fancied a kickabout with your mates. Well that's going to cost you £100. Oh, it's your second offence! We'll stick another nought on the end of that. Oh, it's your third offence. Come along with me sir. Mind your fingers. Clang!! See you in 6 month time" The trouble with these people is they don't learn or take notice until something forceful is done to them. . . 

16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

In the UK

In the UK the first fine is £60*, doubling each time for each successive offence, up to a max of about £960, then its jail time, automatically and that doesn't wipe out the earlier fines

Therefore its; £60 + £120 + £240 + £480 + £960 (= £1860) then + jail

5 strikes and he's in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52258098

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Exactly. He probably drives home from the pub every night after having the regulation 10 pints. A classic example of one who needs to be made an example of.

John.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Is it possible these were cases where infection place before the lockdown rules were relaxed?

More than possible, but it'a salutary reminder for not relaxing the rules prematurely.

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

More than possible, but it'a salutary reminder for not relaxing the rules prematurely.

Agreed.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I think it goes back to the quote I posted a few pages back from an immunologist this is not going to go away until we can get a vaccine.

To be honest I was very dubious about the China figures anyway, almost complete elimination of the virus from the epicenter of the disease?  On the other hand, 99 cases in a country the size of China is a drop in the ocean - for now. 

Sadly I have a hard time believing anything I hear from the Chinese authorities.

In the meantime I read today that HMS QE is to set sail on training cruise next week. Hmm, 600 sailors cooped up in a tin can in the middle of a pandemic. What could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Personally, I can see there being restrictions of one form or another for quite some time. I think that you can kiss your summer holidays goodbye.

On a lighter note, the bird population don't seem to be heeding the warnings on not making unnecessary journeys, nor social distancing. Billy and Bertie Blackbird were going at it hammer and tong this morning right outside the window, whilst further up the garden, Henry and Harry Hoopoo were reenacting WW2.  Several other unidentified birds were also at it. I tell you, the minute that one of them starts coughing, I'm going to insist that they start wearing masks.

John.

• Haha 6

I see what you mean about the birds. They're loving the 'Yumans' being in hiding for the first time in memory. I've seen them perched on top of hedges during my occasional exercise walks, having conversations that just wouldn't have happened while the traffic noise was about. And this morning I enjoyed my coffee and watched various Blackbirds and others happily hop about the garden area having conversations with each other in a way that I have never seen before. The the whole scene was ruined just now by a neighbour starting some slab cutting/grinding? 

• Like 5

Here the birds are attacking each other.

As a sea-side town, with no foods being dropped either on purpose or accidentally the birds have no extra food so they are turning on other birds, eg crows on seagulls, seagulls on crows. 

38 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

On a lighter note, the bird population don't seem to be heeding the warnings on not making unnecessary journeys, nor social distancing. Billy and Bertie Blackbird were going at it hammer and tong this morning right outside the window, whilst further up the garden, Henry and Harry Hoopoo were reenacting WW2.  Several other unidentified birds were also at it. I tell you, the minute that one of them starts coughing, I'm going to insist that they start wearing masks.

😁

The day before yesterday.  Early morning.  Usually, in the spring, we sleep with the windows open on the balcony.  I wake up from the fact that someone is coughing outside the window. 🤤

I carefully open the curtains to the balcony.  Right in front of the balcony window, on a plum branch growing in front of the house, a pica:

319px-Pica_pica_-Helsinki,_Finland-8a.jp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(genus)

sits and makes sounds like a human cough.🤤

Seeing me at a distance of about 1 meter from myself, the bird flew away.😁

Total.

Unlike many people, birds are more intelligent because they keep a social distance!

😉😁😁

48 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Sadly I have a hard time believing anything I hear from the Chinese authorities.

Nevertheless, I recently read that China announced a competition inside to create a mask-making machine, the amount of the investment was called, but I do not remember it exactly, several Chinese companies developed this equipment from scratch within a week and put these machines into production.  And now these machines produce masks around the clock non-stop without human intervention.

If this is true, then this is amazing.

1 hour ago, Nev said:

I think it goes back to the quote I posted a few pages back from an immunologist this is not going to go away until we can get a vaccine.

Yes, most likely this is so, but there is also news that inspires accurate optimism in treatment, I read that a blood transfusion of those who have been ill and recovered to those who are ill gives fairly optimistic results and greatly increases their chances of recovery.

Yes, this is not a vaccine, but if the data are confirmed, it will undoubtedly be progress in the treatment of many severe cases.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3
12 hours ago, hairystick said:

A wonderful sight has been the amount of people out riding bicycles over this lockdown. People out exercising and whole families out with the kids on a mini-adventure, etc, etc.

Hopefully it instills a sense of enjoyment and they continue to use their bikes, as our modern society has drifted away from using them like we used to. Biking to school, riding around on the weekend with mates and all those other things.

It would be nice for parents to teach their kids to ride the route to their schools, as this would slightly free up the traffic buildup around town and also get some good exercise as well.

One benefit of this Wuhan flu!

It is good, probably helped by much less traffic, I'd bike to work much more than I usually do but the reason I don't is due to the poor driving by many many people and when I do it's when I start at 4am and on the way home I purposely choose the longer quieter route... I have this sad feeling that once it all blows over then cycling will still be as dangerous :(

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Toe said:

I have this sad feeling that once it all blows over then cycling will still be as dangerous

On ordinary bike this actually problem... but if you's have bike for zombie-apocalypse:

1421491147_1428086291.JPG

.....and ofcource on this bike no problems with social distance!!!

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9
3 hours ago, Nev said:

To be honest I was very dubious about the China figures anyway, almost complete elimination of the virus from the epicenter of the disease?  On the other hand, 99 cases in a country the size of China is a drop in the ocean - for now. 

If the information re  number of re-infections of cured cases is correct,  vaccination might not be nearly as effective as people hope.

At the moment I'm not 100%  convinced that the lockdown will achieve terribly much more than ensuring we all take our turn to die off in an orderly fashion instead of everyone doing it at once !  

• Sad 2

However how serious are the re-infections?  If they are only mild then it may not be a problem.  Finding why some cases are much more serious could be even more useful.  There is still too much we don't know about this disease.

• Like 3
  • Greg B locked this topic