Lock Down.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Back in ye olde days

She's a witch … Burn her !

• Haha 1

Getting away from newspaper hacks and elected (and sometimes, unelected) persons, the idiots who flout the stay at home rules in the UK, are never going to change. They are always going to go their own way because they know that nothing much will come along to trouble them. Unless the conversation goes along the lines of, "May I ask why you are out sir? Oh, you fancied a kickabout with your mates. Well that's going to cost you £100. Oh, it's your second offence! We'll stick another nought on the end of that. Oh, it's your third offence. Come along with me sir. Mind your fingers. Clang!! See you in 6 month time" The trouble with these people is they don't learn or take notice until something forceful is done to them. A case in point is drink drivers. They know it's wrong, they know that they're over the limit, but they are still going to get behind the wheel. It's only when the 6 months in prison has been served, and their driving ban has finally expired, and they've just received their insurance quote, which sounds as if they are being asked to pay off the national dept, that it finally hits home and their two active brain cells begin communicating with each other.

John.

• Like 8

A junior doctor and ICU consultant explain life in ICU and what being ventilated actually entails.......using the power of LEGO

In the UK

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

. . . Unless the conversation goes along the lines of, "May I ask why you are out sir? Oh, you fancied a kickabout with your mates. Well that's going to cost you £100. Oh, it's your second offence! We'll stick another nought on the end of that. Oh, it's your third offence. Come along with me sir. Mind your fingers. Clang!! See you in 6 month time" The trouble with these people is they don't learn or take notice until something forceful is done to them. . . 

In the UK the first fine is £60*, doubling each time for each successive offence, up to a max of about £960, then its jail time, automatically and that doesn't wipe out the earlier fines

Therefore its; £60 + £120 + £240 + £480 + £960 (= £1860) then + jail

I've read on the news that there are a number of people on the 4th fine already. One man has received the fifth fine on behalf of his teenage son who insists on going out and about and causing trouble.

* reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days, but here's the rub - the court offices to which the fines can be paid are generally closed so its highly unlikely the fine can be paid in time!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Getting away from newspaper hacks and elected (and sometimes, unelected) persons, the idiots who flout the stay at home rules in the UK, are never going to change. They are always going to go their own way because they know that nothing much will come along to trouble them. Unless the conversation goes along the lines of, "May I ask why you are out sir? Oh, you fancied a kickabout with your mates. Well that's going to cost you £100. Oh, it's your second offence! We'll stick another nought on the end of that. Oh, it's your third offence. Come along with me sir. Mind your fingers. Clang!! See you in 6 month time" The trouble with these people is they don't learn or take notice until something forceful is done to them. A case in point is drink drivers. They know it's wrong, they know that they're over the limit, but they are still going to get behind the wheel. It's only when the 6 months in prison has been served, and their driving ban has finally expired, and they've just received their insurance quote, which sounds as if they are being asked to pay off the national dept, that it finally hits home and their two active brain cells begin communicating with each other.

John, the reason a small number of people do things like have a kickabout with their mates is because their assessment of the risk of that activity is low, either to themselves or other people. There may be a debate about whether that assessment is correct, but the reality is that most UK police have little enthusiasm for arresting people playing football, certainly not without first trying to educate them or encouraging them to do things differently.  That's just the way it is and its not going to change quickly because it's contrary to the ethos of British policing that's built up over 170 years. It's policing by consent in this country. Long may it continue.

• Like 4

Your first fine in the Netherlands  cost you 390 euro’s....they try to warn you first for most times but they allready had some 1400 people fined the first one and a half week...

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

Saw a great joke email doing the rounds which sadly I can't repost here in its entirety without breaching forum language rules,

But  the general gist is :

Goverment announce relaxation of restrictions over the Easter break on social distancing, park gatherings beach parties and barbeques for the following groups of people only :

* idiots

* morons

* simpletons

* illiterates

* d***heads

* halfwits

• Haha 11

This is how one sports reporter is coping with the lockdown and lack of sports...

Dogs are great!!

My lad who is asthmatic, is confined to barracks for 12 weeks, he's also been furloughed so he's happy as Larry.

Fortunately, earlier this year he got his greatest wish (which I'm sure Mr.Wezlet's wife is happy about), a puppy!  He's got a Corgi puppy he's absolutely besotted with, that and his guitars have proven to be the distraction he's needed from going stir crazy.

He's very serious about social isolation and gets quite angry with those that don't, he realises that he in particular, could be at great risk to a respiratory illness, he's very good about slapping down his friends who bellyache about having to stay in.  A wise head on a lad who's 27 this year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, rayprit said:

I read recently also that the virus can be caught again, even if you have had it before...……….quote "South Korea reported on Friday that 91 recovered coronavirus patients have tested positive for the disease again, raising questions over health experts' understanding of the pandemic."

Not necessarily:

The KCDC said it is also looking into whether those who retested positive have an antibody that would indicate whether they have recovered, as some health experts said immune people with the antibody are not contagious.

Health authorities here have said the virus was highly likely to have been reactivated, instead of the people being reinfected, as they tested positive again in a relatively short time after being released from quarantine.

Other virologists and epidemiologists also said the positive results from the retesting may have come from the virus reactivating and not from wrong diagnoses.

They also said the COVID-19 virus may remain latent in certain cells in the body and attack the respiratory organs again once reactivated

A COVID-19 patient is deemed fully recovered after showing negative results for two tests in row performed within a 24-hour interval.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200410006500320

About 51 patients classed as having been cured in South Korea have tested positive again, the CDC said in a briefing on Monday. Rather than being infected again, the virus may have been reactivated in these people, given they tested positive again shortly after being released from quarantine, said Jeong Eun-kyeong, director-general of the Korean CDC.

“While we are putting more weight on reactivation as the possible cause, we are conducting a comprehensive study on this,” Jeong said. “There have been many cases when a patient during treatment will test negative one day and positive another.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

Edited by Toe
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

I kind of miss the neighbours in the next street doof doof music being played at all hours of the day.

Said no one ever!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
34 minutes ago, Beardie said:

On a lighter note I thought I would share a picture with y'all of the tools I employ for 'Social Distancing' 😀

socialdistancingtools

At the same Marty? :yikes:

Sadly I haven't been able to master playing them all at the same time but I think one at a time with me at the helm is enough to make folks keep their distance. Unfortunately I no longer have my saxophones, trumpets, cornets and trombone although I still have my flute and clarinet 😀 No drums or jingles as I am really not a fan of drums, tambourines and such 'rhythm' instruments. Wouldn't say no to a double bass but I just don't have any space to store one.

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

Unfortunately I no longer have my saxophones, 

Thereby conforming to the definition of a gentleman 

Gentleman :-  A man who knows how to play the saxophone but doesn’t

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Bit of good news. I mentioned previously that my one of wife's nieces, a student nurse in the Covid ward of a Dublin hospital was infected and ill with the virus. She was in self isolation alone in her flat for three weeks. 

Well she's recovered and back to work on Monday. Immune presumably. 

Her Mother drove a hundred k to see her but no hugs. Just stood in the garden. 

She talked her way through several police checkpoints on the way . Getting to see your eldest daughter having just recovered from the virus does count as essential travel. 

I think so anyway. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 12

But in further tragic news, my first attempt at lockdown Sourdough bread was a failure. 

It showed promise, there were bubbles. But it was awful although my eldest liked the crust. 

My sister says I'm no baker like her. Now that sounds like a challenge! 

• Like 3

some of the previous comments about the selfish stupidity some younger members of society are showing brings to mind a story related to my wife, who is a nurse but not working currently due to comprised immunity following chemo therapy for cancer some years ago. A colleague, who is still working, told her the hospital canteen had been forced to remove many of the chairs from around the tables to prevent the junior doctors from sitting together for morning tea in close proximity to one another. :(  Our media also shared a story of rock climbers at a popular climbing location nearby out in force over this long weekend till the police broke them up. :(  The perils of being 10 feet tall & bullet proof, its great till you find out its a myth.

Steve.

• Like 4

That's no surprise, my experience of Junior Doctors is they're very sure of themselves. Normally no bad thing. 

But we all thought we were indestructible when we were young and foolish. The stuff I got up to riding motorcycles and flying aeroplanes, often on the same day makes me shudder sometimes.

How I've lived this long to be endangered by a mere virus escapes me. 😅

• Like 5

True. There was a time when I parachuted, abseiled and bungee-jumped. Luckily (or unluckily), a spinal injury put paid to those activities but at least I can say that I did them.

Dave

• Like 4

Mentioned a week or so ago about my son-in-law taking his two youngest out on their bikes for exercise to wave at older family friends and discovered today that the practice has spread 100 miles north when someone we know had her kids out on their bikes this afternoon and put a card through the letter box that her daughter had made for us , spoke to them once they were safely back outside the gate and have been promised a rainbow drawing to put in the window from her younger son next time that their daily walk or bike ride brings them our way. 

• Like 3

A wonderful sight has been the amount of people out riding bicycles over this lockdown. People out exercising and whole families out with the kids on a mini-adventure, etc, etc.

Hopefully it instills a sense of enjoyment and they continue to use their bikes, as our modern society has drifted away from using them like we used to. Biking to school, riding around on the weekend with mates and all those other things.

It would be nice for parents to teach their kids to ride the route to their schools, as this would slightly free up the traffic buildup around town and also get some good exercise as well.

One benefit of this Wuhan flu!

• Like 5

Not so great is the number of muppets riding on the pavement, however. While out for my daily walk with SWMBO today we had three separate cyclists whizz past us on the pavement. All of them adults, one of them talking on his hands free mobile. I think some of these people are riding a bike for the first time since they were kids and think they can still do what they did then. Ironically there's far less traffic to avoid, and as for social distancing, well forget it. While pedestrians step out into or even cross the road to follow the rules some of these numpties see if they can squeeze through the gap between pedestrian and garden wall. Jerks.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Greg B locked this topic