I spoke to my son yesterday, and to say that he is angry with the company that he works for would be putting it mildly. He works in a warehouse of a well known national store which has outlets in another equally well known supermarket chain. The stores have been closed, but the owners of the supermarket have seen a loop hole and kept the outlets open inside the supermarkets. Therefore, the warehouse, in Basildon, stays open. But the local MP is trying to get the warehouse shut down as it is non essential. Fine, but what about the s/market outlets? My son has been told that if the warehouse is closed, the staff there are to be relocated to the nearest warehouse of said supermarket, which in their case is Waltham Abbey. So therefore, he will have a daily round trip of around 60 miles and there has been no mention of travel expenses. And why? Has the s/market's warehouse suddenly lost all of it's staff? If it hasn't then he and his colleagues will have to mix in with lots of other workers needlessly. What happened to social distancing? What happened to not making unnecessary journeys? All because the greedy owners of said s/market want to keep making a profit.

Oh, and the other thing that worries me is that he is asthmatic. He will be increasing his chances of being infected, thanks to these ratbags. Sorry, but there are times when big business owners need putting up against the wall.

John. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 10
26 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I spoke to my son yesterday, and to say that he is angry with the company that he works for would be putting it mildly. He works in a warehouse of a well known national store which has outlets in another equally well known supermarket chain. The stores have been closed, but the owners of the supermarket have seen a loop hole and kept the outlets open inside the supermarkets. Therefore, the warehouse, in Basildon, stays open. But the local MP is trying to get the warehouse shut down as it is non essential. Fine, but what about the s/market outlets? My son has been told that if the warehouse is closed, the staff there are to be relocated to the nearest warehouse of said supermarket, which in their case is Waltham Abbey. So therefore, he will have a daily round trip of around 60 miles and there has been no mention of travel expenses. And why? Has the s/market's warehouse suddenly lost all of it's staff? If it hasn't then he and his colleagues will have to mix in with lots of other workers needlessly. What happened to social distancing? What happened to not making unnecessary journeys? All because the greedy owners of said s/market want to keep making a profit.

Oh, and the other thing that worries me is that he is asthmatic. He will be increasing his chances of being infected, thanks to these ratbags. Sorry, but there are times when big business owners need putting up against the wall.

John. 

Are there grounds for him phoning his GP to get put on the list of those to be shielded?

41 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Are there grounds for him phoning his GP to get put on the list of those to be shielded?

Sadly, no, as his asthma isn't severe enough. I suppose in a way that's a good thing as I wouldn't want his condition to get any worse, as I've seen him struggling to breathe when he's had an attack.

John.

So he should be ticking a box but isn't yet bad enough to tick the box?  I'm not trying to be funny because I actually am sympathising here.

• Like 1
On 4/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, stevehnz said:

She made the comment today that in New Zealand the biggest proportion of infected people belong to the 20-29 years age group & even though they are a group unlikely to suffer serious consequences, they provide a vector for other groups to become infected, especially those in the vulnerable categories. This in response to news items reflecting the comments above.

Steve.

This is what I wrote on the forum.  Most of them simply do not realize or do not want to realize that with their reckless behavior they pose a danger to others.  I don’t know, maybe this is a subconscious reflection of the eternal struggle that was described by Turgenev in the novel "Fathers and Sons" and maybe something worse ...

The current situation is here.  We have a second official infected.  This is the little child of the woman about  I wrote early,  in this topic.

Therefore, the "high alert" mode has been introduced here, the next will be the "emergency" mode if the number of infected people increases.

But these are not the only problems, because actually on this side of the continent now there is an imposition of factors of the current pandemic, military, economic and political, all these factors will lead to very serious consequences on the continent.  And naturally, these consequences will affect all countries of the continent.  If interested, I can describe all these factors, it will be pure analytics on my part in a neutral tonality.

But if this interesting.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dave Batt said:

So he should be ticking a box but isn't yet bad enough to tick the box?  I'm not trying to be funny because I actually am sympathising here.

He may never be "bad enough" to tick the box if he only has mild asthma which doesn't require medication, daily or otherwise.

I and my mother both have asthma.  I use a combi inhaler twice daily that contains Seretide (a brand name bronchodilator) - according to govt. guidance that counts as having severe asthma and counts as being "at risk" although I've yet to hear anything from them re. shielding/aid if I need it, and if you are in that "at risk" group you were supposed to have received a letter, GP/NHS are supposed to be making contact etc. etc. (I get the feeling the govt. have repeatedly moved the goal posts and are quietly backtracking on their promises).  My mother does not use an inhaler (or anything else for that matter) and would fall outside the "at risk" category just like @bullbasket's son (assuming he does not take an inhaler).

If you want more info go to www.asthma.org.uk

Edited by RobL
grammer/typos
13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I believe so, the rabid right don't, so I guess that identifies where my sympathies lie. When we went into lock down, one of our more rabid right wing media commentators criticised her for for destroying the economy unnecessarily, now he is bitching that we should have been in lock down sooner. Go figure :(  I don't pretend we are getting all right but as I see it, Adern prioritises people over money, having said that, I do think she & her party have done a good job of trying to ensure we'll come out of this economically in as good shape as possible, time will tell. She does appear to care & is trying to do the best for all Kiwis, not just vested interest groups as some other parties might seem to be. I do believe she has a much better grasp on the overall situation than the Donald (Trump) does. 

Not quite thousands from my understanding, more in the hundreds, there simply aren't that many flights in & out just now. It does appear that poor communication between our border authorities & police has resulted in less than optimal monitoring that returnees are self isolating, but this might now be resolved. People without a self isolation plan were quarantined in repurposed airport hotels until they could make arrangments as I understand & the limited flights around the country fly them to their onward destinations as well as providing travel for essential service personnel. We're just over a week into lock down, its is still an evolving situation & I've never believed that it'll only be 4 weeks, especially when we get dumb things like a Govt Minister driving to a mountain bike track. How the hell can we expect the hoi polloi to batten down when a Minister of the crown does this sort of thing? :( 

Steve.

As I heard in the news - there are 12.000 German tourists there ! I was really surprised how many on the other side of the world. (max distance)

A semblance of control has been obtained in many parts of Australia, but it is on a knifes edge really. If people get complacent, it will go down very quickly.

The Government over here were pushed and prodded into line by the state governments (who have, in spite of a few screw ups, really come out swinging) and the scientific/medical community. You could tell the feds didn't want to 'ruin the economy' and the pill tasted disgusting to them, but they were dragged along. I think their tardy approach to the bushfire crisis and the resulting storm over that had a galvanising effect as well; they didn't want to be seen to be dilly dallying yet again.

In any case, we shall see. I am an essential worker, so no lock down for me. Have fun with your modelling fellas, and best of luck.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

No, you're right Dave. If his condition was worse, he would qualify, but personally, I'd prefer that he wasn't, but I still wouldn't want to test how he would be affected if he were to get the virus.

John.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

No, you're right Dave. If his condition was worse, he would qualify, but personally, I'd prefer that he wasn't, but I still wouldn't want to test how he would be affected if he were to get the virus.

John.

It's a bit of a two-edged sword.  I have asthma that is fairly well controlled, and while I was initially told to stay home for 12 weeks, they've since upped the ante and changed the name to "Severely at risk".  From memory the list includes a lot of different cancers, immuno-suppressed folks that have had transplants and severe COPD patients.  I'm still keeping well away from people as I know what it's like to have to suck down every gulp of air, and don't fancy that any time soon for any reason.  I've got plenty of inhalers in though, so I shouldn't need any for a bit yet. :phew:

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, RobL said:

assuming he does not take an inhaler).

He is on some medication (which one escapes me at the moment), but he also has a Ventolin inhaler for emergencies.

12 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

He is on some medication (which one escapes me at the moment), but he also has a Ventolin inhaler for emergencies.

Would it be the Preventer in the brown dispenser?  The name is Beclomethasone (QVAR), but that's the standard one in the morning and one at night that the prescribe.  Caz takes one called Fostair, but there are a few different ones.

I've seen many articles saying this group are at risk as are these people, but (to me anyway) they seem a little ambiguous. For instance, people with cancer. Obviously, if you are suffering from cancer right now, you are at risk. But what of people who have had cancer? My wife has had cancer twice, so does that make her qualify? And another one is people who have suppressed immune systems. How about arthritis? It's an auto immune disease and the medication is supposed to suppress the immune system, but up until now, I haven't seen any mention of arthritis sufferers. Is there somewhere that this can be looked up?

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Would it be the Preventer in the brown dispenser?  The name escapes me right now (like many things), but that's the standard one in the morning and one at night that the prescribe.  Caz takes one called Fostair, but mine's different.

I'll email him and ask him what he's taking. He's on lates today.

'll email him and ask him what he's taking. He's on lates today.

I just remembered the name and edited it - Beclomethasone. Better late than never.  If I take it after I brush your teeth at night, the residue tends to give me a sore throat, as it's a steroid spray.  It also explains the 'roid rage :angry:*

* I did ask the doctor, and they told me not to worry about getting swole, as the dose was microscopic :lol:

How about arthritis? It's an auto immune disease and the medication is supposed to suppress the immune system, but up until now, I haven't seen any mention of arthritis sufferers.

I've got that too now, but they haven't yet medicated me, so their sloth is probably a blessing in disguise, although the pain isn't all that pleasant.  The joys of old age.  Slowly collecting all the illnesses until you reach the top trump and get rigor mortis.

4 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Is there somewhere that this can be looked up?

I had a quick look on gov.uk the other night and there's some guidance there.  It's constantly changing though, so check back regularly to see how freaked out you should be :frantic:

• Thanks 1
Just now, Mike said:

I had a quick look on gov.uk the other night and there's some guidance there.  It's constantly changing though, so check back regularly to see how freaked out you should be :frantic:

Thanks for that Mike. I'll take a look.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've got that too now, but they haven't yet medicated me, so their sloth is probably a blessing in disguise,

Well if they ever do, you'll probably have to try a few before you find one that suits. Over a twenty year period, I've been on four different tablets. Currently  on leflunomide which has side effects, but seems to be doing the job. The trouble is that your body gets used to the medication and stops doing the job.

8 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

The trouble is that your body gets used to the medication and stops doing the job.

Had that before with one of my painkillers.  Gabapentin.  They switched me to Pregabalin and a couple of years later the side-effects became worse than the benefit of taking the damn stuff :shrug:

• Sad 3

My son-in-law took his two youngest (12 and 13) out for a bike ride near their home on Wednesday as their permitted form of exercise for the day and at one point had a youngish man run between them followed a couple of minutes later by police on foot and then around half a dozen police cars pulling up so he obligingly did a 'He went thataway' and then carried on with their bike ride.

Shortly afterwards one of the police cars returned and the cop  waved them over so that he could let them know that the lad had been caught and to thank Phil for his help.     When asked what had happened it was explained  that with most people at home on lockdown , it being broad daylight , there being more police on duty and looking for a bit of excitement as they were not especially busy at the time resulting in their overwhelming turnout it had not been the wisest time for the Ned involved to force open someones back door and disturb a family sitting down to lunch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Beclomethasone, also known as Becotide, or my current generic version is Clenil Modulite. Fortunately I only need it in the harvest season. Cereal crop dust really plays me up. One potential problem with this stuff is it is anti inflammatory. hence the warnings not to use Ibuprofen for C-19. Not had any official warnings yet, but just ordered a new one today, as mine is date expired.

Update. Surgery has just called to say this is in short supply. If I want to wait a few weeks and re order, otherwise they may substitute. Also confirmed inflammation warning.

Bit like Tesco, I should have asked for bog rolls as well. 

Told them I can wait, present one is 2/3 full and only just out of date.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike said:

If I take it after I brush your teeth at night, the residue tends to give me a sore throat, as it's a steroid spray.  

I've never had that problem, but my old GP always used to say to take it just before you brush your teeth, for just that reason.

3 hours ago, Nev said:

I've never had that problem, but my old GP always used to say to take it just before you brush your teeth, for just that reason.

Sometimes I forget :doh:

To all the self-isolators joining this thread (closed on the brink of 40 pages) and Lock-down aficionados here, I'd like to congratulate you all on being grown-up (while also being very childish at times, but in a good way), steering as far away from politics for the most part, and not getting hot under the collar.  Well done all, and long may that continue :clap2:

I just went out the front of my house and I feel naughty! :ninja:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well, the Self-Isolation thread got locked down. Wouldn't it be a terrible irony if this Lock Down thread got locked down as well? :lol:

Yeh, wouldn't it...

Cheers,

Unc2

PS: No IPAs for this Friday evening either... :weep:

• Haha 3

The black helicopter is circling over the old folks home again.

Must be expecting another delivery truck :)

• Greg B locked this topic