As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

stevehnz

Lock Down.

Like other countries around the world, The Czech Republic, Austria, Australia, Finland & at least parts of the USA come to mind, I'm sure there're many others, New Zealand has been informed that we're to go into lock down in 48 hours. Only Supermarkets, Pharmacies & Service Stations to remain open. The plus side is that I've got a month off :), I might even get some modelling done. The minus is of course the apprehension about the potentially nasty ramifications of this bloody bat pox which is sweeping the world. I'm nudging 65 & I've a lot of friends & acquaintances both here at home & in the virtual world that I inhabit, mainly here on Brit Modeller, that are older than me & maybe more vulnerable. I keep pretty good health & have no obvious pre-existing conditions, so I'm hopeful that whatever, I'll muddle through. My wife has compromised immunity as a result of cancer treatment earlier this millenium & I worry for her. I also worry for our online community. I'm only too aware that some on here have health issues & can but offer up hopes that we'll all pull through, however long that may take & I suspect it will be longer than we imagine. In a fit of slight melancholy earlier, I dug out my copy of "Down to a Sunless Sea" by David Graham, a good read when you're not facing potential Armageddon, but I think I'll leave it be for now. A passage in it that has long stayed with me, comes in the form of a telex from the management of Air Britain to their flight from New York to London as nuclear war breaks out across Europe & North America. "We commend all crews & passengers in transit to the mercy & love of Almighty God this night of Armageddon" I'm not especially religious, but do hope that whatever power, strength or deity that helps you through life keeps working for you in the weeks & months to come.

Take care all.

Steve.

We needs a lock down here, ive just come home from the shops and there are kids playing football in the park. They are not off school to do this but to keep in from getting, and passing on the virus.

6 minutes ago, Julien said:

We needs a lock down here, ive just come home from the shops and there are kids playing football in the park. They are not off school to do this but to keep in from getting, and passing on the virus.

It's coming …..

2 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

It's coming …..

Pubs are shut as is all public libraries and all live entertainment including all movie theatres.

Here in Alberta, large crowds have headed off to the mountains for some skiing this past weekend. They say they're not worried about catching the virus. 

Idiots! They're too stupid to realize that they may be spreading it to others. In Edmonton, there were large numbers of idjits out at the dog parks, again, possibly spreading this disease.

Chris

The supermarket I work in has quietened down, not sure if its due to no stock or more and more following the advice... Even so I strongly believe there should be more restrictions for all our good... I can understand the government "advising" people but to be honest the government needs to treat this nation like an unruly child and crack down, so many irresponsible people around and I'm not going into the sights, sounds and grief I've personally had from "customers" within my job 🤬

26 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

They're too stupid to realize that they may be spreading it to others.

I think the word 'selfish' would go well in that sentence as well.

We're still allowed to go out for exercise & walk the dog here. I walk mine on the golf course so as to avoid close contact, but most are in the main park on the narrow paths, because they would rather risk spreading the virus than getting mud on their shoes.

There are teens here in the States that have taken up a new Social media challenge. The objective is to enter a grocery store. Then while there film yourself coughing on produce and putting it back in the display. When they're caught they have been arrested but not everyone is catching all of them. 

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

There are teens here in the States that have taken up a new Social media challenge. The objective is to enter a grocery store. Then while there film yourself coughing on produce and putting it back in the display. When they're caught they have been arrested but not everyone is catching all of them. 

The Western world needs to bring back public floggings.

Chris

The PM is making an announcement at 8:30. Given that he cancelled the usual 5pm briefing because of a COBRA meeting. I’ll let your imagination join up the dots.

Trevor

For the benefit of oversees viewers....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_Office_Briefing_Rooms

23 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

The PM is making an announcement at 8:30. Given that he cancelled the usual 5pm briefing because of a COBRA meeting. I’ll let your imagination join up the dots.

Trevor

For the benefit of oversees viewers....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_Office_Briefing_Rooms

Our Nicola has already told our non essential shops up here north of the border to shut with immediate effect, strong action but necessary in my opinion. In the current crisis we will have to expect some tough measures because just saying, "excuse me, ahem, excuse me would you all kindly not do what you're doing and do what I am advising" just isn't strong enough language for the most self centred and thoughtless members of our population. I could say more but don't want to bring a political spin into this rather well behaved thread.

Please all stay safe and do avoid unnecessary contact, it really will make all the difference in a very short time.

Duncan B

49 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The Western world needs to bring back public floggings.

Chris

Especially for those people with more than five models on their Shelf of Doom!

Dave

I see that three teens were arrested today for attacking an elderly couple and coughing in their face! Apparently the little 'darlings' have been released under investigation. Personally I would rather they were named and their photographs placed on their beloved social media so the world can see them and know them for what they are.

Personally I’d just shoot them, cheap, easy and I’d reckon that others would learn pretty quickly not to be so chuffing stupid. 

That certainly would wouldn't it 😄  

I know we always talk about that 'Blitz spirit' but there were, if I recall correctly, plenty of folks who took the opportunity to hoard, turn a quick buck, rob, murder etc. it was just that, back then they were dealt with in a much tougher fashion and it wasn't widely reported as it was bad for morale.

2 hours ago, Toe said:

Even so I strongly believe there should be more restrictions for all our good... I can understand the government "advising" people but to be honest the government needs to treat this nation like an unruly child and crack down

As I said in the other thread a few days ago, the government has been drip feeding the controls, every day something new is added.  If we had gone straight to complete lockdown 10-14 days ago there would have been uproar and complete pandemonium.  Now, everyone (well, almost everyone) is aware that this isn't "just the flu", this is something far, far more sinister.  The irresponsible had their last fling at the weekend, now its time to bring the hammer down.  The British public isn't just bracing itself for lockdown,  we've seen the numbers and the pictures from Italy and Spain, I think most of us now *want* this lockdown.  It's time.

And be prepared, even if the country goes into complete lockdown from tonight, the number of deaths will continue to rise for at least another two weeks.  We won't be talking about hundreds of deaths, but thousands, before the controls begin to take effect.

20 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Personally I’d just shoot them, cheap, easy and I’d reckon that others would learn pretty quickly not to be so chuffing stupid. 

A bit harsh but I see your point about cheap the government will need to save money somehow :idea:

beefy

yep, its lock down, no suprise

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Like other countries around the world, The Czech Republic, Austria, Australia, Finland & at least parts of the USA come to mind, I'm sure there're many others, New Zealand has been informed that we're to go into lock down in 48 hours. 

Join the club.  At least you got 48 hrs notice.

48 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

It would certainly thin the gene pool of idiots

I think the Prime Minister is handling this very well given the circumstances. Needs must.

No mention if the likes of the Royal Mail will still run, or pet food shops will remain open?

There's an old joke about some authoritarian regime that goes something like "... two's company, three's an illegal assembly". It's no joke now though.

Here in Ireland, I suspect we will ramp up our measures tomorrow night, although maybe not to same extent as the UK, which (it has to be said) is still playing catch-up.

Posted (edited)

I see this thread is starting to bring out the best of British. I support what is necessary, including reasoned and measured implementation and only for as long as is required. That may require controls around access to key supplies in order to better manage demand and dampen down panic along with more visible and persuasive controls for those that think its party season (including some bikers who decided that with the roads being quiet it was an ideal time to gather and burn rubber). What it doesn't require is people being shot. I've stayed at home and avoided all face to face contact for the past 10 days with a single trip to the supermarket and back to get fresh supplies. No drastic action or getting enraged at other's stupidity or shortsightedness, indeed a lot of that has calmed in recent days. So I'm personally in lockdown for the duration - months if necessary - unless a family emergency or work requires that I jump into action. 

My main wish at the moment is that the major film producers switch to a more COVID-19 friendly mode and start making all current and recent cinema releases available online as quickly as possible.

Edited by Nocoolname