Hurricane Mk.IIc ‘JX S’

AlexM19

Hi All, does anyone know anything about Hurricane Mk.IIc ‘JX S’ (BN964). I believe it was with No. 1 Sqn during 1942 but I can’t find any more info on it. Its one of the options on an xtradecal sheet I’ve got.

Cheers, Alex 

Hmm, 

36 minutes ago, AlexM19 said:

does anyone know anything about Hurricane Mk.IIc ‘JX S’ (BN964). I believe it was with No. 1 Sqn during 1942 but I can’t find any more info on it. Its one of the options on an xtradecal sheet I’ve got.

from a series of photos of 1 Squadron.

Hawker-Hurricane-IIc-RAF-1-Squadron-JXY-

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72113

X72113_4.JPG?t=

well,  if I was using this sheet, I'd do JX-I,  as that look about right,  JX-S lacks the extra thickness of the letters, clearly visible in the shot above.  (study the variations of the code letter styles carefully, the designer hasn't) 

PLus JX-I is a neat factory finish, JX-S looks to be one of the repaints from nightfighter finish. 

There's a few on the sheet I don't recognise,  I see another appearance of JX-E from the profile illustration,  but handy if you want to do the BBMF flight version of this scheme. 

I'm dubious about the SEAC planes in Dark Green/Ocean Grey,   and the 87 Sq night intruders... AFAIK, these should me Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green, and the codes were more likely Sky Grey....

Still.... having argued the toss on details on a Xtradecal sheet once,  maybe my sig line should be never trust a decal sheet without a photo....

HTH

Thanks very much, just as well I checked before cutting up the decal sheet!

Ive painted up a  hobbyboss kit in a basic day fighter scheme, ocean grey/dark green on top, medium sea grey underneath with sky prop & fuselage band. Assume JX-I will be accurate?

17 minutes ago, AlexM19 said:

Ive painted up a  hobbyboss kit in a basic day fighter scheme, ocean grey/dark green on top, medium sea grey underneath with sky prop & fuselage band.

Yes, standard Day Fighter Scheme.

17 minutes ago, AlexM19 said:

Assume JX-I will be accurate?

The JX-I decals look a better match to the photo than JX-S was what struck me looking at the image of the sheet.   You have the sheet,  I don't.   Compare to the photo.   

The comments on the decals are from not infrequent glitches on some Xtradecal sheets,  which are annoying as it's just being careless and/or not getting a fresh pair of eyes to proofread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexM19 said:

JX-I it is! Thanks for your help! I’ll get a photo up when done 

if you have not seen it already

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

in particular, note roundel position dimensions.  I see a lot of Hurricane models that get the upperwing position wrong. 

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

and while a Mk.Ib Sea Hurricane, much of this is relevant to any Hurricane

Sea%2520Hurricane-001.JPG&key=19a5bd4e0a

from here with lots more pics