1/48 Tamiya Martlet (Wildcat)

6 minutes ago, gryphon28 said:

Thanks Artie, really appreciate your comments. I’m not exactly sure which Mark of Martlet is closest to the Tamiya boxing. I wanted an FAA Martlet but without having to do tons of research or hack the thing apart. As much as anything she was an exercise in painting which I really enjoyed.  She’s close enough for me though respect to those who do go the extra mile for complete accuracy.

38 minutes ago, Artie said:

Terrific....!!!!!! One of the best looking models I've seen lately. Is that a Martlet V, by any chance???

Sorry mate, made a mess of my response, see a slightly earlier post for my reply to you.

• 1 year later...
On 23/03/2020 at 21:51, gryphon28 said:

I’m not exactly sure which Mark of Martlet is closest to the Tamiya boxing.

@Artie  A Wildcat V [too late to be a Martlet] is a FM-1

the Tamiya is a F4F-4

For what is what, read here

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm

The markings are for a Martlet I.   In short, different engine, and cowling, shorter canopy, and wing as well, not folding, 4 guns,  position only on the Martlet I, note gun positions

Fleet-Air-Arm-Martlet-MkI-FAA-804NAS-AL2

Colours are unique too,  US paints,  Blue (Flag color) 28 , Sea Green 28  over Light Blue 27, these are what are on the Martlet I at the FAA musuem

The fuselage has been repainted, but the wings are are original paint

wpbb1e1066_05_06.jpg

23755112129_0668c2875a_b.jpgMartlet FAA Museum 2015 #4 by John Durston, on Flickr

They removed the later applied blue paint very very carefully to reveal the original paint underneath, as they did with their Corsair KD431.

I wanted an FAA Martlet but without having to do tons of research or hack the thing apart.

Wise choice.  That way madness lies!  :mental: 

As much as anything she was an exercise in painting which I really enjoyed.  She’s close enough for me though respect to those who do go the extra mile for complete accuracy.

In this case that's crawling over broken glass.... well, maybe overstating it, but it's not a simple mod,  as the overall length is the same, but the cowling is shorter....meaning the fuselage is longer.

Anyway,  the above shows why I don't have a Martlet I, and you do

Hope the background of interest,  you model came out very well

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Troy, just read the link provided very interesting. Where can I find any coloured plates or pictures of the Martlet(s) or Wildcats in FAA service. Is that plane really in the FAA museum as it really is ugly and wrong in so many ways. Did someone just buy a couple of pots of paint from B & Q and have a go over a few "Tinnies" and a John Player Blue!