1/48 Tamiya Martlet (Wildcat)

An oldie but goodie,

Tamiyas 1/48 Wildcat finished as a Royal Navy Martlet from 804 Squadron based in the Orkneys. Apologies if there are some glaring differences between the two. 

Absolute gem of a kit and a lot of fun to build. The trickiest bit was getting the Aeromaster decals to snuggle down over the rivets. 

Stay safe.

Rick

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

Martlet

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Don't know much about the F.A.A. but I do know a first class build when I see one.

Magnificent! Airbrush or hairy sticks?

Thanks for that. All airbrush as ever. I stick to Tamiya and mr hobby paints which are pretty awful to brushpaint, though some folks have managed it. I wanted a tight camo pattern so used tape for masks rather than blutac on thus one.

3 hours ago, gryphon28 said:

Sure, will have a look after work

All Tamiya on this one from my notes.

Top colors are xf22 for the greeny grey and a 60:40 mix of xf24 and gloss black for the EDSG. There was nowhere near enough contract between the two Tamiya shades without the addition of the black to the EDSG. That may be historically wrong but I found it pleasing to my eye. Xf23 underneath for the blue and xf69 rubber black on the other wing as a nice scale black. Xf21 as ever for the Sky band.

You can post shade panel lines with whatever dark gunk you have left over, just make it very very thin and lighten some areas with gloss white to the original shade.

Again, a big note for myself to reduce the rivets under the decals for the next one.

Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

Awesome Martlet!

Can I ask what colors did you use?

Top colors are xf22 for the greeny grey and a 60:40 mix of xf24 and gloss black for the EDSG. There was nowhere near enough contract between the two Tamiya shades without the addition of the black to the EDSG. That may be historically wrong but I found it pleasing to my eye. Xf23 underneath for the blue and xf69 rubber black on the other wing as a nice scale black. Xf21 as ever for the Sky band.

You can post shade panel lines with whatever dark gunk you have left over, just make it very very thin and lighten some areas with gloss white to the original shade.

Again, a big note for myself to reduce the rivets under the decals for the next one.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gryphon28 said:

Hope this helps.

Thank You! 

I asked because I'm starting an Hellcat Mk.I

6 minutes ago, Pierpaolo said:

Thank You! 

6 minutes ago, Pierpaolo said:

Thank You! 

No problem, good luck with it. If it’s the Eduard kit, it’s awesome.