Airfix 1/48th Spitfire Pr.XIX

The latest off the bench is the beautiful Spitfire Pr.XIX. The kit was built with a few extras from Barracuda Resin ( Cockpit update set, exhausts, wheels and part of Vacform canopy) and , everything else was from the box. I've been wanting build this one for a while now and couldn't resist any longer. The kit goes together ok with just a few awkward bits to overcome, getting the two fuselage halves together is a squeeze, as there are quite a few parts to tuck in. The wing tops were also not the best of fits, with a bit of filler required to close the gap. This might have been me though, who knows. I used a combination of Hataka (grey) and Xtracrylix (blue) paints for the main colours, made shiny with Future and then matted down again with Xtracrlix Matt varnish. The decals were out of the box and performed flawlessly, although took some careful finesse to get the larger ones off of the decal paper. Really pleased to have this one in the cabinet though, hope you like it too.

As always comments and critique welcomed.

Pete

Puq3euZ.jpg

2IojjHP.jpg

Xh0M0wR.jpg

CVtYd71.jpg

8z0YEOd.jpg

gl1r8ZE.jpg

Kv2YUCQ.jpg

6JUTWVl.jpg

A9RHCke.jpg

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Pete...........and just what I needed to see in order to rejuvenate my own stalled Spitfire XIX project. Looking to do the same colour scheme but using RTAF markings to represent one of those aircraft handed down by the RAF.

Well Done, Sir !

Thanks you all for some lovely comments. Have to agree that it's the prettiest of all the Spitfire marks, but I wonder how much of that is to do with the colour. PRU Blue really does look good on a Spitfire. Really ought to get around to building one with stripes on it soon.

Pete

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It's admirably neat and tidy. Was there a particular reason for going with a matt finish? 

Hi WiP, I never like the non scale thickness that satin/gloss varnishes give. It always looks like the shine is an inch thick, so I tend to Matt everything down. Just a personal preference.

Pete

• Like 1