1/350 HMT Sir Gareth, Round Table class Admiralty Trawler

More ventilators hollowed out:

IMG_20200402_123602.jpg

Most of the superstructure is now painted. Some weapons and a few outfitting bits and bobs still to go, and those shall provide less visual impact.

IMG_20200402_121355.jpg

IMG_20200402_124334.jpg

Also, I added some draft markings using left over Pontos Model dry transfers that come with their deck sets (I've used loads of these and have a lot left over)

IMG_20200402_142054.jpg

IMG_20200402_142107.jpg

IMG_20200402_142115.jpg

• Like 13

Baldrick's Cunning Plan part 1.

I like the stern-down hull form of these trawlers as a diversion from more usual larger warships, so I wanted to show it off.

I made a template for spacing a pair of holes drilled into the keel:

IMG_20200402_192721.jpg

Two holes drilled thus:

IMG_20200402_194012.jpg

The hardwood base received a piece of second-hand masking tape to avoid drawing on the actual wood, and the centre found and marked thus:

IMG_20200402_194203.jpg

The template was centred on the tape markings and match drilled:

IMG_20200402_194330.jpg

A couple of short lengths of solid brass rod were cut and their ends slightly bevelled. Of course, the brass was brightened up with some sanding sponges first:

IMG_20200402_194002.jpg

Even Baldrick should be able to guess how we got from one state of affairs to the other at this point:

IMG_20200408_155413.jpg

IMG_20200404_125123.jpg

IMG_20200404_125141.jpg

This isn't particularly cunning, I admit. If what I have planned next works out, then overall it will be a bit cunning.

• Like 18

Jamie,

Are you trawling through your draws to find different ship diagrams🤔

Repulse and an 'O' class war emergency destroyer? (although the 'O' class, if it is, seems to be in 2 different scales. Maybe an 'A' to 'I'  in the larger scale plan view)

Tom

8 hours ago, Modelholic said:

Jamie,

Are you trawling through your draws to find different ship diagrams🤔

Repulse and an 'O' class war emergency destroyer? (although the 'O' class, if it is, seems to be in 2 different scales. Maybe an 'A' to 'I'  in the larger scale plan view)

Tom

You're doing splendidly :D Repulse is drawn at 1/384 scale whilst Onslow is drawn at 1/192.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Modelholic said:

That is a very complete kit! and looks excellent.

Anyone read 'Proud Waters' (Ewart Brookes) recently?

Tom

I haven't read that, but wanted to reaffirm that this is indeed a very complete kit. It does actually come with a stand, but I wanted something a little more decorative. It wants for nothing out of the box save some lycra rigging line, maybe a flag and a crew member or two.

11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I like the stern-down hull form of these trawlers as a diversion from more usual larger warships, so I wanted to show it off.

That's a very concise "how to" description showing how to mount a model ship on a base.  If you ever put it on display at a show you'll probably get at least one person telling you "that your model boat isn't level".

11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This isn't particularly cunning, I admit. If what I have planned next works out, then overall it will be a bit cunning.

Waiting patiently.

What's particularly impressive is the speed with which this little ship has almost fallen together, however this doesn't reflect the obvious skill of the builder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Richard E said:

If you ever put it on display at a show you'll probably get at least one person telling you "that your model boat isn't level".

Ah doubtless! If ever one wants critique on a model, valid or otherwise, take it to a model show. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I got the superstructure detail painted today then went for some photographs and dropped the damn thing. Argh! It's OK but the little pole on the front of the funnel pinged off as did the ammo box cantilevered off the aft end. Both are gone... The pole is already replaced and painted. I am making a new ammunition box as, bizarrely, I have nothing similar here I could use! The scandal...

Anyway, I detailed the children to build a stone perimeter for an outdoor fire. We toasted some marshmallows and hot dog sausages.

resized_86651dc9-7a98-4b23-8d8f-786b47b1

So in summary I've no new photos of the boat!

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Excellent work a rarely know subject.  

A very quiet, very unsung and little known hero service in BOTH World wars!

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:50 AM, Modelholic said:

So small yet so exquisite!

The box on the stbd bridge screen? An impromptu 'tent' for the charts?

Tom

I'm not at all sure what it's for!

On 4/7/2020 at 12:02 PM, robgizlu said:

Lord!!! That is enviably round.

Cracking little model :clap2:

Rob

Thanks Rob - I rolled that with the shank of a drill bit :D

On 4/7/2020 at 1:31 PM, John said:

That would sit well in Aberdeen's excellent maritime museum. 

John 

Thank you John. It might be a little dwarfed compared to the 2-storey high model production platform in there. In fact I haven't visited there in a long time, but really should again...

Small progress:

resized_ed75e702-d040-4207-b975-04bee484

• Like 8

Hi There,

Beautiful and instructive work form you yet again, Sir.

If I may digress a tad. Those pictures of Hall Russel and Fitty Dee took me back and awakened some really old memories for me.

My Mum and Dad were both from Torry, we only moved to Dingwall when I was 2 and a 1/2, and so I knew the area quite well as holidays tended to be centred around Aberdeen staying either in Scatterburn or with relatives in Strathdon.

My main memory of the harbour area was when my dad took me down there as there was a Submarine in paying a visit and The Skipper had known my Dad during the war. He managed to blag a visit inside for me.

Many Thanks for bringing that memory flooding back.

Cheers,

Alistair

Edited by AliGauld
  • Thanks 1