1/72 Academy new tool F-14A Tomcat VF-21 Freelancers

Hello and welcome.

Here's my first finished kit this year, Academy's new offering in a livery from circa 1984. A real pleasure to build despite the few little shortcomings.

Academy #12563, Aires seats and exhausts, Reskit wheels. Hataka LGG over black surfacer. Decals from MYK/Furball/Hasegawa/kit.
Duet pictures with a Hasegawa kit built in 2018.

sCOi3wl.jpg
jD09uER.jpg
DfFoMvN.jpg
2Xg6riV.jpg
FeF19KO.jpg
krEOn7k.jpg
CtaAFOg.jpg
yW1tt7g.jpg
MIRj2SL.jpg
Zp612M4.jpg
B9cBAvb.jpg
nq1jktg.jpg
w05n2Gs.jpg
cy0Rvab.jpg
EWAif3i.jpg
uiinWYl.jpg
5Ro0KM1.jpg
B7LyNTv.jpg
MPvraF5.jpg
n466Nvp.jpg
qPdcXUN.jpg
KcxnjZS.jpg

Edited by gota
  • Like 34

A splendid looking Tomcat or, indeed, Tomcats.  A beautifully applied paint finish.  I thought this kit had only just been released so that was quick work, especially compared to my standards!  Oh for the days when military aircraft had a bit of colour on them.  I read recently somewhere that the USN rather misses the Tomcat becuase of its speed, endurance and the Phoenix missile.  It was always my favourite of the four jets that emerged from the US in the 70s and was sorry to see it go. 

• Like 1

I've always liked the VF-21 colors and your Tomcat really does the F-14 and VF-21 justice. Beautiful build. And your cockpit is immaculate. Wonderfully done.

• Like 1

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

Is the canopy posable on the kit or is that some work you've done?

The canopy has a half-hinge at the back and the kit provides a supporting rod. It's just resting on the triangular piece behind the seat for the purpose of the photos.