1965 issue Revell Lancaster.

TonyW

This one, along with my Dambuster build have been on hold for a bit. The builds were starting to get a bit of a task and I needed a break from them for a while.

However, fate can play cruel tricks on you, and it's certainly having a laugh with me at the moment! Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

Hannants are doing a re-run of their 70th anniversary D Day set, something like nine aircraft, all for way under a tenner delivered. I went for a set as I really like the look of the Stirling option and though I would get around to a few of the others at some point.

IMG-1446.jpg

IMG-1447.jpg

I didn't pay too much attention to the Lancaster option, it's not like I need another one to build, is it? Once the set arrived though...Hmmm.

I have a restorable Airfix 1980 Lancaster, built by unknown hands, bought as part of a collection recently. It needs an undercarriage and the decals are pretty much shot, the fuselage ones were flaking right off. The canopy is painted but every other clear part needs finishing. The paintwork, while OK could do with a bit of help. It's passable though. I should, of course, ignore the model and crack on with my posted builds.

Here's the progress on my Lancaster GB bump start so far...

IMG-1441.jpg

IMG-1445.jpg

It can't join in here, it's not even built by me! It's got me back in Lancaster mode though, and that can only be a good thing. My Dambuster GB build is going to be wheels up, so there's the undercarriage sorted. Fuselage and wing decals for the distinctive white tailed plane are already going on, along with the tail parts refinished and also decaled. A bit of exhaust staining done in oils has been started. The practice will come in handy for the other two!

It looks like my Lancaster break is over, best I get stuck in then.  Group Builds have certainly upped my build quotas!

Tony.

• Like 6

At least you don't have to faff with invasion stripes, which every other aircraft on that sheet seems to have. A very quick, colourful upgrade -just what the kit doctor ordered. "Take one Lancaster, a quick dab of paint and stick some decals on. You'll be fine in the morning".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lancaster overkill!

IMG-1490.jpg

The original build for this thread, PO-S finally got a bit of attention today, not a lot, but better than none. The engine top panels got a bit of dark earth applied, exhaust stains were beefed up a bit and the tail transfers were applied. The other two in the picture got similar treatment.  Rather than have to put each model away to let paint dry or decals set, I could put it to one side and crack on with the next in line. Nice, smooth, steady progress was the result. The parts on the far right are the fourth(!) Lancaster build, the Airfix Dambuster. That one is putting up a bit of a fight, but I'll beat it yet. 

Tony.

• Like 6

Good Gawd Tony... thats some Lanc line up!

I'm struggling to find space for one, let alone three and a forth in the wings! Nice work. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Seeing as I seem to be massing Lancasters in this thread, have another one. 

It's yet another I didn't build. It's one that came as part of a built kit collection I bought ages ago. It's an early Airfix G for George.

The reason I've kept this one as found is that it's a near perfect example of a typical early build. It's a decent build although there's no filler anywhere and the seams are all a bit on show. The paint job is done in what looks like Joy enamel and was a high gloss. I've dulled it down a bit as it was something of an eyefull. There's no glue marks and the clear parts are well finished. 

Not everyone's  cup of tea, but a proper snapshot from the past. 

IMG-1500.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 5

You've got to hand it to the good modellers of yesteryear. They wouldn't have had 10% of the modelling products and aids we have today, so its only right to compare this with other models of that period. Yes, there's a few gaps showing, however overall thats one fine Lanc build and those wing roundels seem to have bedded themselves nicely. 

Cheers and talks for posting.. Dave 

• Like 1

If you need undercarriage for your old Revell Lancaster, I have spare that you would be most welcome to as well as the original bomb-bay and 'secret bomb' . . . . . .

An original G-George  . . . just like yours

US-Airfix-lancaster-029.jpg

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

That's a good looking Lanc! The stand is the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the undercarriage and other parts offer, that's very kind of you. I'm OK for them at the moment. Q Queenie is going to be wheels up, just to be a bit different to P-OS and I have spare Airfix undercarriage for T-PO.

My short break from the GB has worked a treat, I'm all fired up to get these build done now. 

• Like 3

No actual kit build progress to report, I'm currently finishing off an F4 Phantom in the Kits you built as a Kid GB. 

I did however check out a thought that crossed my mind regarding the rather vivid colours used on the G for George build above.

Out with the type One Airfix storage boxes and the early Humbrol paints then...

Bingo! The colours used would seem to be early Humbrol ones, not the Joy Enamels I first thought. The green tin lid looks rather bright in the picture, the camera flash caused that. The colours used also match the box top of the first issue of the Airfix kit.

I'm going to lump the three items together and call them a done jigsaw puzzle! 

IMG-1527.jpg[/url

• Like 4

Last night saw the final bit of framing done on the clear parts of PO-S. This morning saw them fitted. I'm calling this one done now.

IMG-1573.jpg

It fought me. Oh boy, did it fight. It's not one of my finer builds, but it's done and the Group Build is responsible for that. I would have given up ages ago without the GB to keep me moving.

The transfers caused most of the problems, cracking up at the drop of a hat. One of the roundels cracked during the picture taking session I had this morning. I've left it as is. I just couldn't face yet more repairs.  Things might have been different had I rubbed down the rather large rivets and gloss coated right from the off. Not doing so saw me having to constantly add varnish and yet more colour coats, plus no end of touching in to try to hide the silvering. All that has darkened the finish a bit. Not enough to put me off but just enough to look darker than I would have liked.  As I say, it fought me.

Picking the plane up to take a few snaps also saw the bloody fuselage crack along the top seam! The damage can be seen as little white marks on the spine and a rather noticeable gap above the front turret. The chances of me repairing it are a bit slim at the moment, maybe I'll come back to the model later and have yet another fixing session.

IMG-1563.jpg

It does look like a Lancaster, so that's good. Sat on a grass base I can even start to warm up to it.  A Tilly and a couple of figures alongside it and I might even get around to liking it.  😀 I'll add pictures to the Gallery in a bit.

Right, best I now get on with the Dambuster build.

• Like 9

Nice build.  I found the top seam on my 65 Dambuster version kept cracking, I think the wings flexing cause the problem (potentially also on any other large plane kit without a central spar as often on newer kits).  At the time I could wangle some lengths of sprue heavily glued across the two wing root recesses which made that part of the fuselage more rigid - in theory it would be easy to brace up this area before putting the bomb bay in.  Thus reinforced it survived a crash landing on to a vinyl floor with only a prop flying off and the front guns coming loose, both items easily repaired.  They made the kits strong, if not always accurate in those days!

Cheers 

Will 

• Like 1