1/48 Special Hobby (Tarangus) Saab Viggen

Hi All,

I have just posted the final pictures of my 1/48 Special Hobby (Tarangus) Saab Viggen in the Nordic Group build so I thought I'd share them here as well for the non-group builders.

This is the original boxing with no resin additions, only the sidwinders are extra. The RB04 anti ship missiles are converted Hunter drop tanks using plastic card and sprue. Decals are aftermarket items.

IMG_5536 (2)

IMG_5533

IMG_5529

IMG_5540 (2)

IMG_5563 (2)

IMG_5512 (2)

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. More views on the WIP thread. here Colins Saab Viggen WIP

The modelling has been helped a lot by our Nordic members contributing their detailed knowledge to this and many other builds.

Cheers

Colin W

• Like 43

The Viggen dressed in the renown “Fields and Meadows” pattern is my favorite of all camouflage schemes and you have done this one perfectly.  You have me motivated to move to a Viggen sooner rather than later.  :clap2:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Wonderful Viggen model. One of the most beautiful cold war jets and imho its splinter scheme is by far the best scheme on any aircraft, both by colours and geometry. I wish there was ever a 1:32 scale! By the way, yours is an AJ37 and these have three actuators under the wings, while the interceptor JA37 has four.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great comments above. 

This was a really enjoyable Build giving a very different and attractive result. 

On 3/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, binbrook87 said:

Fabulous 👍 I'd love to do a Viggen.... but the thought of masking that camo puts me off! 

The camouflage was the hardest part of course. My technique was to print a scale drawing and cut out the masks, applying them with latex glue. Full story in the build thread. PS Binbrook87, I was there in the rain! What a day. 

On 3/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, F-32 said:

That's very nice work, how long did the paint work take?

Actually I did it in a day. The work is in the preparation though. 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:01 AM, mattcour said:

an AJ37 and these have three actuators under the wings, while the interceptor JA37 has four.

Beware all. The Special Hobby instructions show the 4 actuators fitted to all variations of the kit. We all learned that too late. 

Cheers Colin 

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

The camouflage was the hardest part of course. My technique was to print a scale drawing and cut out the masks, applying them with latex glue. Full story in the build thread. PS Binbrook87, I was there in the rain! What a day. 

Brilliant idea. I can't actually think of any other way it could be done easily. Ps....yes i was there too...most memorable airshow experience ever for all the right....and wrong reasons! I'll never forget it.

Cheers

Graham 👍

• Like 1