BA maintenance facilities

Abandoned Project

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

They do, but it didn't open til 1993 so outside the OP's time frame

I had read that it opened in 1990 but that's the webnet for you. I wasn't sure about Prestwick/Glasgow though as to when it opened and if had the facilities to get a widebody under cover. Thanks for the info.

The biggest aircraft the BA hangar at Glasgow could take was the 757. Nowadays the A321 is the biggest it takes, one of the two bays takes the A319/320/321, the other can only accommodate the A319/320. 

We have had a 767 nosed in once for a windshield change.

The hangars at Gatwick can take a 777, not sure if they can accommodate a 747.

Cardiff opened in 1993 in June.

Heathrow definitely had hangar capacity for aircraft up to 747 size back in 1988.

Hope this helps.

Eng

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 10:44 PM, eng said:

The hangars at Gatwick can take a 777, not sure if they can accommodate a 747.

Cardiff opened in 1993 in June.

Heathrow definitely had hangar capacity for aircraft up to 747 size back in 1988.

Hope this helps.

Eng

Don't forget that the LGW hangars were BCAL before BA took over and BCAL had up to 5 747's in the fleet and I remember working on them in H3 and H6 back in the day, so yes they could take a 747.

LHR East base hangars TBJ/K and TVA all took 747's, East base could take all the fleet too.

Not forgetting also, 3rd party hangars and maintenance facilities have been used too, for example, Marshalls at Cambridge worked on the BA 747 fleet.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Dave Swindell @tweeky, @Stephen, @eng and @Agent K. I do hope that my random question brought back good memories. I should have been more specific as I only said widebody. I am in the process of writing a little back story to one of my what-if Ilyushin il-86 which in real life measures at 60.21m X 48.06m so not quite 747 but not far off. It is this that I am trying to house for maintenance on UK soil in 1988.

Again, thanks to all for their information.

Edited by Abandoned Project
  • Like 3