As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andwil

Midway Defender - Marine Buffalo *Resurrected*

Masked the under surface demarcation line with blue tack worms and sprayed the blue grey uppers:

49918222838_95a21e6d2b_b.jpg

During this process I noticed an ominous rattle from inside, something has come loose in the cockpit, hopefully not obvious to the eye, or relatively easy to get to and fix.

AW

Forgot to take any pictures today, but attended to a little overspray under the fuselage and did some detail painting including the non slip walkways on the wings and sprayed the tires on the main wheels.

AW

Decals on.  Special Hobby’s decals went on a treat, released quickly from the backing paper and went down nice and smooth.  Always a good milestone in a build, it’s when the model really comes to life IMO.

49929098616_b5bbe8c3c8_b.jpg

49928580553_cf7e7c33b5_b.jpg

49928580558_bb8e7a64a7_b.jpg

The kit had markings for MF-11 and MF-15.  The aircraft I want to depict is MF-17 flown by Lt Kurtz of VF 221. Luckily I had suitable 7s in the stash of spare decals so it was an easy job to make up the correct codes.  What I don’t have though are suitable serial nos, but as these are really tiny I have chosen to ignore them.

AW

Canopy unmasked and it’s standing on its feet:

49937622882_944b570c9b_b.jpg

49937622892_41560802be_b.jpg

I cannot see what has broken off and is rattling around the cockpit.  I thought it may have been the pilot’s headrest which is attached to a small projection in front of the dinghy canister as the attachment point was a tiny butt joint, but it is still there.  Actually not much of the cockpit detail can be seen through the canopy which is a shame.

The undercarriage was tricky to get lined up and is flimsy, but I was able to cement it in place and then strengthen the joints with CA.  I realised I had forgotten the outer doors that are attached to the main UC legs, so these were added and primed.

I also attached the exhausts and the telescopic sight and touched up with a few spots of paint.  Special Hobby provide a small hole in the windscreen for the sight, but it is so high the sight will not contact the fuselage and remain parallel.  So I drilled a new hole in the windscreen and filled the existing one with Testors transparency glue.

AW