What a Corker! Sea Hurricane MkIB

Hi all, 

I was feeling a bit bruised by my Tarpon struggles (paused for a while) 😞, so I thought a nice stress-free, OOB build was required for restoration of flagging mojo. I decided on Airfix' 1:48 Sea Hurricane MkIB, AF955 as flown by Lt. 'Dickie' Cork DSO DFC, 880 Sqn FAA from HMS Indomitable during Operation 'Ironclad', the campaign to recapture Diego Suarez in Madagascar, 1942. I could not find too many images of the actual aircraft other than the one below second in line (copyright IWM):

large-000000.jpg

Built OOB with the addition of Eduard seatbelts and masks, finished in a mixture of AK Interactives and Humbrol acrylics. Critique and comments welcome as ever. Anyway, here she is - thanks for looking!

Roger

20200322-145123.jpg

20200322-145135.jpg

20200322-145146.jpg

20200322-145157.jpg

20200322-145214.jpg

20200322-145230.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Nice job Dunny, you’ve made a fine job out of what is a good kit.  Lovely finish.

Last year I built Cdr JM Bruen’s Sea Hurricane Z4550/G, the one at the front of that line of Hurricanes...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice job Dunny, you’ve made a fine job out of what is a good kit.  Lovely finish.

Last year I built Cdr JM Bruen’s Sea Hurricane Z4550/G, the one at the front of that line of Hurricanes...

I just checked out your Hurri/Hellcat combo - lovely! Thanks for the kind words,

Roger 

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Although I knew he had flown in the Battle of Britain, I had not read the rest of Cork's service record. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_John_Cork

Dickie Cork flew as Baders Wing man in 242 Sqn.  Richie Gardner also flew with 242, both became Aces during BoB

49685771698_5a10ea0c93_c.jpg

Corks Hurricane on the left, Gardner’s “England Expects” Hurricane on the right.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice model, but Pedestal not Ironclad.  The photos is of 800 Sq lined up on Victorious just after the battle.  The second aircraft is one of two transferred from 880 Sq when 800 converted from Fulmars in Kenya before Pedestal, together with 880's Senior Pilot  Martin.  This made Cork Senior Pilot in 880.

I don't know of any closeup of Cork's fighter during Pedestal, but there is one believed to be Cork's in Ironclad.  The special markings for Ironclad were yellow leading edges inboard, not outboard and fin as for Pedestal.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Nice model, but Pedestal not Ironclad.  The photos is of 800 Sq lined up on Victorious just after the battle.  The second aircraft is one of two transferred from 880 Sq when 800 converted from Fulmars in Kenya before Pedestal, together with 880's Senior Pilot  Martin.  This made Cork Senior Pilot in 880.

I don't know of any closeup of Cork's fighter during Pedestal, but there is one believed to be Cork's in Ironclad.  The special markings for Ironclad were yellow leading edges inboard, not outboard and fin as for Pedestal.

Graham - many thanks for the information (and the kind words!)

Roger

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow she's a real stunner, great work. I hope this has helped restore your mojo for your lovely Tarpon build.

All the best

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris - it has certainly helped :party:

• Like 1

Very nice, I made it a few years back. Iwas given some advice by one of our members here that during Ironclad, the yellow leading edge stripe extended to the wing root.

Best regards

Nick

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Very nice, I made it a few years back. Iwas given some advice by one of our members here that during Ironclad, the yellow leading edge stripe extended to the wing root.

Best regards

Nick

Thanks for the kind words Nick - it never ceases to amaze me the depth of knowledge here!

Best regards,

Roger 

The tale of Sea Hurricanes in Pedestal is surprisingly complicated, confused by mistaken identification in photos, mistaken serial logging in Cork's log book, transfer of aircraft between units and carriers, and the HMSO wartime booklet claiming a cannon-armed SH flown by Cork. There's also a converted RAF Hurricane IIB of confused origins.  Fortunately each unit can be identified by differing ways of carrying their codes.  I did a piece for Scale Aircraft Modelling some time back but missed a few points, which Ian Gazeley has since sorted out.  It's a great shame that Ian hasn"t been able to produce a second volume of his masterpiece in FAA camouflage.  

One day I'll finish a Pedestal SH, but which one?  Cork? Popham? Crossley?  Or the unique hybrid 7.Z?  The FAAM has a superbly clear sideview of this, surely the finest view of any Pedestal SH, if taken in more temperate climes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The tale of Sea Hurricanes in Pedestal is surprisingly complicated, confused by mistaken identification in photos, mistaken serial logging in Cork's log book, transfer of aircraft between units and carriers, and the HMSO wartime booklet claiming a cannon-armed SH flown by Cork. There's also a converted RAF Hurricane IIB of confused origins.  Fortunately each unit can be identified by differing ways of carrying their codes.  I did a piece for Scale Aircraft Modelling some time back but missed a few points, which Ian Gazeley has since sorted out.  It's a great shame that Ian hasn"t been able to produce a second volume of his masterpiece in FAA camouflage.  

One day I'll finish a Pedestal SH, but which one?  Cork? Popham? Crossley?  Or the unique hybrid 7.Z?  The FAAM has a superbly clear sideview of this, surely the finest view of any Pedestal SH, if taken in more temperate climes.

@Graham Boak I had to look up 7.Z - a 12-gun SH! Thanks for the informative comments...

Real good job Dunny !!

I'm a great fan of FAA and you do it justice !!

Pedestal Hurri is in my next project !!

Congratulations !! :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Real good job Dunny !!

I'm a great fan of FAA and you do it justice !!

Pedestal Hurri is in my next project !!

Congratulations !! :partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Alain! I'll watch with interest to see your Pedestal Hurri,

Best Regards,

Roger

• Thanks 1