Canberra under-wing hard-points

Doc72

Hi everybody,

I am currently working on the S&M Canberra B.6 coverting it into a B.15 or B.16. You can find the WiP-thread here:

Could anyone help me with plans that show the position and dimensions of the under-wing hard-points? For a B.15/16 I will need at least the "standard" in-board hard-points for 1000 lb. bombs or rocket packs, but later some aircraft also had additional out-board pylons for the AS.30 missile.

By now, I have quiet a number of publications on the Canberra in my library, but for some reason none of the drawing show these hard-points. Although, it is possible to guesstimate from photos, precise drawings would be a great help. 

I must admit I struggled to find an exact dimensional location when I completed my Frog Canberra last year. In the end I took an eyeball measurement comparison from the equally vintage Airfix Canberra and settled for that. Comparing it with actual photos, it looks about right! 

Cheers.. Dave 

48797430126_a3aabbfa29_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Funny that the location is such a problem, isn't it? I mean, we are not talking about an ultra-rare prototype here.

Regarding the B.15/B.16 question, I haven't made the final decision yet. It depends a bit on the availability of decals. At the moment, a B.15 with four pylons would be the preferred option. Actually, I have already installed three ejection seats, so strictly speaking, it is not a B.16 anymore.

Strangely, the S&M kit wants you to build either a Blue Shadow B.6 or a B(I).6. For the Blue Shadow, the kit includes the lateral radar fairing (even for both sides which, I think, isn't correct), but for the B(I).6 there is a gun-pack but no pylons.

Canberra B6s fitted with Blue Shadow were B.6(BS).  I assume the extra pylon on the B.15 was the same as the TT.18 used to carry Rushton Winches etc.  The Airfix B(I)8 1/72 kit includes (wrongly!) these pylons as well as AS.30s.   I can't find any details on location of the pylons.

George

Edited by boffin

Thanks a lot! This forum is really incredible.

The drawing is perfect. Also thank you for the photos.

And the offer for the AS.30s is very generous, but there are relatively few photos of aircraft in squadron service actually carrying them. I think I rather go with the 2 in. rocket pods. There is also a problem with these because they came in three variants.

1.) black, frangible nose cone (as one the photo of WH954): these I think I can scratch build

2.) without the nose cone: difficult to scratch, it would require drilling 37 holes in a precise pattern

3.) with a reuseable metal nose cone (similar to SNEB): available in resin or probably from a Buccaneer or Sea Vixen kit

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Thanks a lot! This forum is really incredible.

The drawing is perfect. Also thank you for the photos.

And the offer for the AS.30s is very generous, but there are relatively few photos of aircraft in squadron service actually carrying them. I think I rather go with the 2 in. rocket pods. There is also a problem with these because they came in three variants.

1.) black, frangible nose cone (as one the photo of WH954): these I think I can scratch build

2.) without the nose cone: difficult to scratch, it would require drilling 37 holes in a precise pattern

3.) with a reuseable metal nose cone (similar to SNEB): available in resin or probably from a Buccaneer or Sea Vixen kit

No problems, if you change your mind they are there for you.

John

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 20:04, canberra kid said:

Given the the much of the panel lines detail on the kit is fictional or misplaced, this is as good as I can get it. 

spacer.png

John

Anyone know what the pod is on the Canberra above? it certainly isnt a rocket pod.

Selwyn

35 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

@Selwyn I can't tell you what they are Selwyn, not my field but here are two more photos one with the nose cap and one without, I'd say they were rocket pods of some sort?

3mn8eb.jpg

3mtGu2.jpg

John

never ever seen a pointy nose like that on a rocket pod, the frangible noses were always  black and rounded. some sort of air sampling pod?

Selwyn

3 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

.. never ever seen a pointy nose like that on a rocket pod, the frangible noses were always  black and rounded. some sort of air sampling pod?

We all know that you are the armament expert on here @Selwyn, although it looks as if the Kiwi's used a very similar 'rocket' pod to what John has posted during the Indonesian Confrontation. There's a few online photo's available that show (might I say 'confirm') this. These images are what I based my home-brew made pods when I built my Canberra model above. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

never ever seen a pointy nose like that on a rocket pod, the frangible noses were always  black and rounded. some sort of air sampling pod?

Selwyn

Could it be pre the black rounded one? I don't think it's a sample pod, they were carried on the wing tip. 

John

Maybe it is just a "home made" aerodynamic fairing. Those Canberra sometimes flew with no nose cap at all, maybe somebody thought this created too much drag and, therefore, improvised such a pointy nose just to reduce drag when flying without armament.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It appears to be much the shape as that on the practice pod (Matra 155) but of course smooth and pointy rather than with a small radius rounded tip.

Live Matra pods can be pointy too, well this one was

22.jpg

• Like 2